Message Archive for winter-aux

[INST] Remote Audition Guidelines - Chamber Orchestra & Wind Ensemble

Sent: Fri Apr 3, 2020 • 8:01 AM PDT
From: Kneebone, Jason

[INST] Remote Audition Guidelines - Chamber Orchestra & Wind Ensemble
2020 Banner 8in Black.png

Spartans,

This email serves as a brief walkthrough about recording and submitting your video audition for Chamber Orchestra and Wind Ensemble*. Thank you to those who have already expressed interest! We are looking forward to hearing your submissions. The current audition requirements can be found HERE.

Currently, our String Orchestra and Symphonic Band members have had the opportunity to submit their intent to audition at this time. If you are NOT currently in one of these ensembles and still wish to audition for Chamber Orchestra or Wind Ensemble, please REPLY ALL to this email so both Anna and Jason can get you the appropriate information. Please also note in your reply if you have A) a suitable practice/recording environment at home, B) a device (i.e. Chromebook, Smartphone) that is capable of recording video, and C) satisfactory internet access to upload your video.

-= Guidelines for submitting your video audition =-
  • So far, you've all noted that you have a suitable recording device. Smartphones are more than capable of satisfactorily capturing your performance. If you are using a Chromebook, there is a brief tutorial HERE. For all other platforms, a simple Google search should help guide you through the process. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask - we are here to help!
  • We strongly suggest recording and reviewing a short example of your playing so you can adjust audio settings appropriately. Please note that Anna and Jason understand that the audio quality is different between a recorded audition and a live audition. We will not be critiquing the recording quality of your device, but combining the best effort you show us along with our prior understanding of you as a player to make the final decisions.
  • You should have received an invite to an "Audition Resource" Google Classroom. Anna & Jason will be available through this platform, along with some trusted student advisors to answer your questions and provide helpful tips & feedback upon request.
  • Once you are happy with your completed audition video, save your video (MP4 is the best) and submit your completed file to the Audition Resource Google Classroom Assignment by Friday, April 24th
Take your time, don't stress, and good luck!
-Anna & Jason

*Understand that Wind Ensemble will be participating in the 2021 Pacific Basin Music Festival in Honolulu which requires a significant financial component (scholarship and fundraising opportunities will be available). Travel Agreements will be sent to prospective Wind Ensemble members following the audition process.