Message Archive for mvhs-times

No Newer Messages   [Next Older Message]   next older message

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Jan 24, 2020 • 4:18 PM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: David Grissom <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 16:17:34 -0800
  • Bcc: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS

Grissom's Gazette

GG_hdr_v1.png

Friday, January 24, 2020

Saturday, January 25

Winter Ball, Santa Clara Marriott, 8:00pm-11:00pm

Monday, January 27

SCHEDULE G-Rally Schedule

8th Grade Course Selection Window

Board Meeting, DO, Board Room, 7:00pm

January 28-29

Club Arena, QUAD, Lunch

Wednesday, January 29

Parent Coach Meeting, 6:00pm-8:00pm, MVHS Theater

Thursday, January 30

Spartans PAUSE Day

Friday, January 31

Lip Sync Battle, Theater, 7:00pm

Monday, February 3

Sophomore Course Selection Window, Theater, 0-7 periods

Wednesday, February 5

Schedule D

Thursday, February 6

Schedule E

Friday, February 7

9th Grade Course Selection Window, Theater, 0-7 Periods

Monday, February 10

Schedule G - Winter Rally

Board Meeting, District Office, 7:00pm

Tuesday, February 11

Heartbeat Concert, Theater, 6:00pm

Friday, February 14

Singing Valentines

Monday, February 17-21

Winter Break

Feb. 26-28

ASB Executive Cabinet Election

March 2-6

Civil Engagement Week

ASB Elections

Monday, March 2

Board Meeting, DO, Board Room, 7:00pm

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2019-2020!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

MVLA Board of Trustees

The MVLA Board of Trustees will hold a regular board meeting on Monday, January 27, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. (Closed Session) / 7:00 p.m.(Open Session) in the District Office Board Room, located at 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA, 94040

The Board of Trustees will recognize counselors and January Students of the Month.  They will consider approval of the School Accountability Report Cards (SARCs), a developer mitigation agreement with The Sobrato Organization (1255 Pear Avenue/North Bayshore Precise Plan), and a resolution in support of Mountain View Whisman's Measure T - a local funding measure to provide teacher housing and school improvements. The Board agenda packet may be viewed here

MVLA Logo.png

MVLA Foundation

Did you know...

MVLA High School Foundation donations provide 24/7 online access to full-text magazines, academic journals, news articles, primary source documents, images, videos, audio files and links to vetted websites.

To access this information visit the library website: https://mvhs.mvla.net/Student-Services/Library/Research/index.html

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Sabías que…

Las donaciones de MVLA High School Foundation brindan acceso en línea las 24 horas del día, los 7 días de la semana, a revistas de texto completo, revistas académicas, artículos de noticias, documentos fuente primarios, imágenes, videos, archivos de audio y enlaces a sitios web examinados.

Para acceder a esta información, visite el sitio web de la biblioteca:

https://mvhs.mvla.net/Student-Services/Library/Research/index.html

MVLAfoundation_logo.png

MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series

William Stixrud, M.D. and Ned Johnson

The Self-Driven Child:  The Science and Sense of Giving Kids More Control Over Their Lives

Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2020 - 7:00 - 9:00pm at the MVHS Spartan Theater, 3535 Truman Ave., Mountain View

Evidence strongly suggests that age-appropriate autonomy is vital for young people’s mental health—it helps them to sculpt brains that are resilient, resourceful, and ready to take on new challenges.

When The Self-Driven Child authors Bill Stixrud and Ned Johnson began comparing notes years ago, they discovered a common problem among their young clients: kids were feeling acutely stressed. Many complained that they felt powerless to shape their own destinies. Some stumbled in high school, while others hit college and unraveled. Bill is a clinical neuropsychologist who helps kids gripped by anxiety or struggling to learn. Ned is a motivational coach who runs an elite tutoring service. Together they discovered that the best antidote to stress is to give kids a sense of control.

In this talk, Bill and Ned offer a combination of cutting-edge brain science, the latest discoveries in behavioral therapy, and case studies drawn from the thousands of kids they've helped.  They advise that parents and educators adopt the role of consultant rather than manager to give kids more responsibility for their own life decisions even before they leave home.

Audience:  Parents and educators of students grades 6 - 12.

To register for this free event, go to https://mvla2019-20-stixrudandjohnson.eventbrite.com

Books available for purchase, thanks to Books, Inc.,  (cash or check)

Sponsored by Los Altos Educational Foundation (LAEF), MVLA High School Foundation, Mountain View Educational Foundation (MVEF), and Los Altos-Mountain View PTA Council.

Parent Speaker Series logo.png

Counseling Courier

Please find the Winter edition of the Counseling Department's quarterly newsletter, the Counseling Courier in the attachments to this Gazette.  We hope you find it informative and useful.

MVHS Logo.jpg

Freestyle Academy

The Freestyle Academy Mid-Year Exhibition showcases the Best of Semester 1 Projects by 1st and 2nd Year students from both LAHS and MVHS

·         MAP to Computer History Museum - Map: https://www.computerhistory.org/directions/

·         Friday February 14, 2020

·         5:00 – 8:30 PM

·         Free Admission and Open to Public

·         5:00 – 8:30 Art Exhibition, Animation Viewing, Video Productions Viewing, and Website Viewing

·         6:00 - 8:00 Best of Junior and Senior Video Productions

Application deadline is Feb 14 through https://freestyleacademy.rocks/apply for current Sophomore and Juniors to join us at Freestyle for 2020-2020. Come to the Exhibition, see what students produce and perhaps decide if you want to be part of the Freestyle Community of digital artists. FAQs here.

MVLA Logo.png

Foothill Middle College - Upcoming High School Meetings & Open House

Are you a bright, curious free-thinker who is yearning for a more mature environment? Are you looking for a supportive and accepting community? Are you capable of doing college level work? Foothill Middle College is now recruiting students from Palo Alto Unified and Mountain View-Los Altos High School Districts for next school year.  Middle College is an alternative program that serves bright students who may not be performing up to their full potential, or students who are dissatisfied with the traditional high school environment. The program is located on the Foothill campus and offers students the opportunity to attend both high school and college classes concurrently. Students accepted into the Middle College program leave their home school and take all of their classes on the Foothill College campus. Every Middle College student completes graduation requirements and receives a diploma from his/her home school. Come meet the teachers and learn more about the program at these events:

MC Meeting for Students - Tues., Feb. 4th at 12:15 at MVHS in room 206

MC Open House for Parents & Students - Tues., Mar. 10th and Wed., Mar. 18th at Foothill College in Appreciation Hall (Bldg. 1500)

From the College and Career Center

Scholarships

The scholarships listed below have an upcoming application deadline. For more information on these scholarships and others, please visit www.mvhsccc.net

Name: All Star Scholarship Team (Open exclusively to the bay area)

Amount: $5,000

Deadline: February 4, 2020

Name: University Club (Open exclusively to MVHS seniors)

Amount: $5,000 per year for 4 years!

Deadline: February 11, 2020

Name: Silicon Valley Realtors Scholarship (Open exclusively to MVHS seniors)

Amount: $1,500

Deadline: February 14, 2020 3:30pm

Name: The Mountain View- Los Altos Community Roundtable (Open exclusively to MVHS seniors)

Amount: Varies

Deadline: February 27, 2020

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Gap Year Fair

Gunn High School will host a gap year fair on Tuesday, February 25, 2020 starting at 6:00pm

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Summer Programs

The College and Career Center website has been updated with summer programs. Check out these opportunities at www.mvhsccc.net

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Summer Opportunities Fair

Looking to get involved this summer? Gunn High School will be hosting a summer opportunities fair on Wednesday, January 29, 2020 from 7:00-9:00pm
Sponsored by MVLA.png

"United Against Pediatric Trauma" Benefit Concert

The Key Club and Performing Arts Department of Mountain View High School is proud to announce its inaugural community benefit concert for pediatric trauma.

About the Cause

Pediatric trauma, also known as unintentional injury, is the leading cause of death for children in the U.S. 90% of these injuries can be prevented, and they kill more children than all other causes of death combined, including suicide, disease, and homicide.

About the Event
To provide support for pediatric trauma victims while being a part of a community event to unite the entire performing arts department, don't miss the upcoming benefit concert presented by Mountain View Key Club! This concert will feature performances from all branches of the Mountain View High School Performing Arts Department, including dance, choir, instrumental music, and theatre. With all of these ensembles showcasing their passions for a good cause, plus a special finale piece combining all of the performers, this event is sure to be a memorable one.

WHEN:

Friday, January 24th, 7:00 PM

WHERE:

Mountain View High School Gymnasium

COST:

Admission is free, but donations are accepted! (All proceeds go to the Pediatric Trauma Program)

MVHS Logo.jpg

MVLA Speech and Debate

At MLK, the PF team of Kaley Kwan and Cedric Chan made triple octos. Ethan Huang was a quarterfinalist in impromptu and a semifinalist in national extemp, earning a TOC bid.

Congratulations everyone! You can still join speech and debate — join us 7PM every Wednesday at the Mountain View High School library.

MVLA Logo.png

MVHS PTSA

MVHS Parents,

Are you looking for opportunities to:

·         Volunteer on the MVHS Campus?

·         Meet other parents of high schoolers?

·         Appreciate our wonderful MVHS Teachers and Staff?

·         Give back to the MVHS Community?

If so, please consider being a part of the MVHS PTSA! We are currently filling positions for the MVHS PTSA Executive Board for the 2020-2021 School Year. We have a spot for everyone! If you have an interest to serve on the Board or if you know of someone who would be a perfect “match” for a role, please contact our current Parliamentarian, Bryn Stuebner at stuebner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

PTSA Logo.jpg

 2020 Grad Night Update

We currently have 252 sign-ups for Grad Night. Attendance is typically around 325 each year. If you know someone who has not yet registered and would like to attend, please encourage them to sign up.

To register, go to https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mvhs-2020-grad-night-tickets-63305763242 (note: there is a small online fee) or visit https://mvhs.mvla.net/ParentsStudents/PTSA/Grad-Night-Information/index.html to print forms. Cost is $190 until March 31 (see attached flyer for details). Scholarships are available. Please indicate it on the form

We welcome contributions to our grad night scholarship fund so all students have the opportunity to go to this special event (Checks payable to MVHS Grad Night and sent to 3535 Truman Ave, Mountain View, CA 94040).

Attention Non-Senior Parents: We are also looking for  9th to 11th grade parents to assist with parking, bus loading and check in after the graduation ceremony (June 5). If you are interested, please email gradnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All are welcome to attend our next Grad Night Meeting on Monday, Feb 3 at 7pm in the MVHS Library.

To be added to the Grad Night e-list, go to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/select Grad Night 2020 and submit.

- The Grad Night Team

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Qué está pasando con GRAD NIGHT?

Actualmente tenemos 252 inscripciones para Grad Night. La asistencia es típicamente alrededor de 325 cada año. Si conoce a alguien que aún no se ha registrado y desea asistir, por favor anímelo a registrarse.

Para registrarse entre a este sitio:https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mvhs-2020-grad-night-tickets-63305763242 (nota: se aplica una pequeña tarifa con las transacciones en línea)

o visite:https://mvhs.mvla.net/ParentsStudents/PTSA/Grad-Night-Information/index.html para imprimir formularios. El costo es de $ 190 hasta el 31 de marzo (vea el folleto adjunto para más detalles). Hay becas disponibles. Por favor indíquelo en el formulario.

Agradecemos las contribuciones a nuestro fondo de becas para la noche de graduación para que todos los estudiantes tengan la oportunidad de asistir a este evento especial (Cheques pagaderos a MVHS Grad Night y enviados a 3535 Truman Ave, Mountain View, CA 94040).

Atención padres de estudiantes del 9o., 10o. y 11o. grado: también estamos buscando padres de sus grados para que nos ayuden con el estacionamiento, transporte y el registro después de la ceremonia de graduación (5 de junio). Si están interesados, envíen un correo electrónico gradnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Todos están invitados a asistir a nuestra próxima reunión de "Grad Night" el lunes 3 de febrero a las 7pm en la Biblioteca MVHS.

Para ser agregado a la lista electrónica Grad Night, vaya a http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/, seleccione Grad Night 2020 y envíe.

- El equipo de Noche de los Graduados

PTSA Logo.jpg

Spartans PAUSE - January 30th

Spartans PAUSE is a MVHS PTSA sponsored program that helps students feel more connected and supported!

We had a wonderful Spartans PAUSE day on December 13th.  Hot chocolate, cookie decorating, MVHS “PAWs” therapy dogs, rocks painted and donated to Animal Assisted Happiness, our resource/connection table with fruit infused water plus the MVHS Jazz band (5th Edition) playing in the quad made for a fun and relaxing afternoon.

Next UP!  Celebrate the Year of the Rat with our Chinese New Year PAUSE on January 30th!  During lunch in the quad, enjoy the Furry Friends therapy dogs, learn and participate in Bamboo dances (which is a traditional activity to encourage friendship), create paper and marble mice, join our chopstick marble pick up challenge, enjoy fresh tangerines and cheese sticks or check out the puzzle party in the library.

To learn more about PAUSE and help with any of the activities on January 30th, or in the future, attend our community meeting on February 4th at 4pm in the MVHS College and Career Center (next to the library).  Alternatively, sign up on the volunteer sheet, visit the Spartans PAUSE page on the MVHS Website or contact our PAUSE leads at spartanspause@xxxxxxxxx

Spartans Pause 2020.png

Spartans Sports Camp

Spartans Sports Camp is proud to announce that registration for Summer Camp 2020 is now open. Camp will run June 8-July 31st this summer.  This will be our 9th summer providing a wide variety of camps to the community while raising funds for the Mtn. View HS Athletic Department. Last year, with your support, we raised $57,000. Thank you!

What's new for SUMMER 2020?

·         Academic Enrichment Camps including Theater, Digital Art & Photography, Mock Trial, High School Hacks, Multimedia Journalism, Public Speaking through TED Talks, and even Wacky Science!  Campers will have the opportunity to learn from experienced and passionate MVHS teachers. Also - these camps will feature our "Cross Training" period in the middle of the day where campers can swim, play in the arcade, or join a fun camp game such as dodgeball!

·         Water Polo Camp  is now split into two camps: Beginner Water Polo and Intermediate/Advanced Water Polo which will improve camper experience. Both camps will have a scrimmage at the end of camp which parents are invited to see.

As always we are proud to offer the following at Spartans Sports Camp:

·         Highly trained staff that includes current and former MVHS student-athletes and experienced MVHS coaches.

·         Swimming offered daily on-site for summer camps!

·         Flexible, fast, and easy online registration.

·         Campers receive a water bottle, t-shirt, and drawstring backpack.

·         100% of the camp proceeds goes to support athletics at Mountain View High School. Your camp dollar goes directly back to the community!  Spartans Sports Camp directly supports the MVHS Athletic Department as we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Since 2012, we have raised over $400,000 for the MVHS Athletic Department.

·         Morning and Afternoon extended care available until 6:30 pm (extra charge)

·         Great selection of camps - there is something for everyone at Spartans Sports Camp!

Please see www.SpartansSportsCamp.com for our full calendar and to register today!

Take advantage of our discounts:

Early Registration
Save $25 on each summer session if you register by March 15th at
www.SpartansSportsCamp.com. Register today!

Multi-Session/Sibling Discount:
Save 10% on camp fees only (excludes lunch and extended care) when you register for 2 or more sessions at the same time. See website for terms and conditions.

Don't forget about our February Camps which are fast approaching:

Winter Break Basketball Camp Feb 17-21
This is a great opportunity to stay active, have fun, and work on your game during the winter break. Open to boys and girls in grades 3-8. Sign up by February 1st to save up to $25!

Winter Girls Softball Mini-Camp Feb 8 & 15
Great tune-up for the upcoming softball spring leagues! Open to girls grades 3-8.

Finally - check out our LAUNCH VIDEO!

Spartans Sports Camp.jpg

A La Carte- Free Food Truck Service

Since last year, MVLA High School District has partnered up with “A La Carte” a Joint Venture with Silicon Valley to provide fresh and delicious surplus food from Stanford University and local tech corporate campuses to needing students and families. Participants can select meals free of charge.

To alleviate any barriers, no registration is required, no personal information is gathered. If your family could use a few extra prepared meals, you are encouraged to visit the truck every Thursday from 2:30-3:45 that will be stationed outside the District Office building. Please bring a bag to make it easier to carry home your meals, as the food truck will only provide tin containers.

Desde el año pasado, el Distrito de Escuela Secundaria MVLA se ha asociado con "A La Carte", una empresa conjunta con Silicon Valley para proporcionar alimentos excedentes frescos y deliciosos de la Universidad de Stanford y los campus corporativos tecnológicos locales para estudiantes y familias que lo necesitan. Los participantes pueden seleccionar comidas sin cargo.

Para aliviar cualquier barrera, no es necesario registrarse y no se recopila información personal. Si su familia pudiera hacer útil algunas comidas preparadas adicionales, le recomendamos que visite el camión móvil todos los jueves de 2:30-3:45 que estará estacionado afuera del edificio de la Oficina del Distrito. Traiga una bolsa para que le resulte más fácil llevar sus comidas a casa, ya que el camión de comida solo proporcionará contenedores de aluminio.

MVLA Logo.png

Tutorial Center Hangouts

We are so excited to offer students a chance to hangout and interact with experts in the medical field during January and February.  Our own volunteers and tutors will be talking about their careers: "A day in a doctor's life" and "A day in a nurse's life".

Students can have casual conversations about the medical profession and participate in Q&A at the MVHS Tutorial Center. Flyers with days/times are attached in English and Spanish.

We are happy to launch these hangouts to enable students to explore future careers as well as possible shadowing and internship opportunities. Stay tuned for upcoming hangouts featuring computer science, engineering, city planning, finance, accounting, and management in March and April.

Thank you to our Administration, Leadership, and CCC teams for encouraging this effort. Also, special thanks go to our amazing AVID parents who are doing several presentations on the Nursing Fields.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. daily. Parent/Community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7:30 de la mañana hasta las 4:00 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find Volunteer Tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center'.  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact Ms. Rafati for the latest information on volunteer tutors available. If you would like a free copy of the most current version of the Private Tutor Directory, please contact Nancy Rafati (940-4624) or nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Volunteer Tutors are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request. If your students have any requests or would like additional information about our volunteer program, please contact Nancy Rafati, Coordinator, at 940-4624, or email her at nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information: https://mvhs.mvla.net/Athletics/index.html

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.

No Newer Messages
(Sent: Fri, 17-Jan-2020, 4:20 PM PST)

mvhs-times  ⇒  Msg 20