Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Dec 6, 2019 • 10:53 AM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: David Grissom <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 10:52:37 -0800
  • Bcc: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS

Grissom's Gazette

GG_hdr_v1.png

Friday, December 6, 2019

Friday, December 6

Fall Chamber Concert, Theater, 7pm

Tuesday, December 10

Reclassification Ceremony, MVHS Cafeteria, 6:30pm

Winter Instrumental Concert, Theater 7pm

Thursday, December 13

Spartans PAUSE

Monday, December 16

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

December 18-20

First Semester Finals

Friday, December 20

Holiday Choir Concert, Palo Alto Methodist Church, 7pm

Dec. 23-Jan. 4

Holiday Recess, NO SCHOOL

Monday, January 6

Teacher Service Day, NO SCHOOL

Tuesday, January 7

Schedule A-First Day of Second Semester

Friday, January 10

TEDx, Theater, All Day

Monday, January 13

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Wednesday, January 15

PTSA Meeting, College & Career Center, 5pm

String Fling, Theater, 7:30pm

Thursday, January 16

Band Bash, Theater, 7:30pm

Monday, January 20

HOLIDAY - Martin Luther King Jr. - NO SCHOOL

Wednesday, January 22

Advisory Day

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2019-2020!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

Dear parents,

During the 2018-19 and 2019-20 school years we have been piloting a new system for parent-teacher conferences. This system allows parents to schedule conferences with teachers throughout the year, instead of limiting scheduling of all parent-teacher conferences to two specific nights, only during the month of October.

We would like to solicit feedback from all of our stakeholders on how this pilot is working for you. Your feedback is essential in helping us determine the efficacy of our new system, and whether we continue in this way.

Please click on the appropriate survey below:

Parent-Teacher Conference Survey in English: Click here

Parent-Teacher Conference Survey in Spanish: Click here

Parent-Teacher Conference Survey in Mandarin: Click here

Thank you for your support.

Dave Grissom

MVHS Logo.jpg

MVLA Foundation

Thank you for your #GivingTuesday generosity!

Together we raised $38,882 plus an additional $25,000 from LinkedIn for a total of $63,882! Every donation big or small brings us closer to our goal of $1.878 million, and we appreciate your support.

MVLAfoundation.org

ArtPop

Shop for Our Schools Day is next Saturday, December 14th!

Local artisans will donate 15% of sales to the three local school foundations–MVLA, LAEF and MVEF. Shoppers can look forward to holiday treats, original artwork, holiday decor & more!

ArtPop is located at 275 Castro Street between Dana and Villa. For more information visit their Facebook page.

MVLAfoundation_logo.png

Fall Finals Schedule

Wednesday, December 18th

2nd Period        8:10-9:45

6th Period        10:10-11:45

Lunch               11:45-12:30

7th Period        12:35-2:10

Thursday, December 19th

0 Period           8:10-9:45

1st Period         10:10-11:45

Lunch               11:45-12:30

5th Period        12:35-2:10

Friday, December 20th

3rd Period        8:10-9:45

4th Period        10:10-11:45

MVHS Logo.jpg

PSAT Scores

Scores from the PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 8/9 will be released online to students December 9–11.  Students should log into their College Board account to view scores.  After the Holiday break students will receive their test booklets in their English class if they put their name and teacher name on the test  booklet.

Students who are at least 13 years old and who shared their email address on their PSAT/NMSQT or PSAT 8/9 answer sheet will receive an email reminder from College Board  explaining where and how to view their scores.

MVHS Logo.jpg

MVLA Speech and Debate

At the SCU Dempsey Cronin Invitational, Amelie Sen and Gage Garcia were double octofinalists in Varsity LD. Amelie was undefeated and first speaker! Ethan Huang made semifinals in Open Extemp.

Congratulations everyone! You can still join speech and debate — join us 7PM every Wednesday at the Mountain View High School library.

MVLA Logo.png

From the College and Career Center

Scholarships

Scholarship opportunities are posted at www.mvhsccc.net. Students should also check the colleges they are applying to for any separate scholarship applications.

College Application Assistance

Seniors, this is a reminder that the college and career center is hosting college application workshops on Tuesdays and Thursdays during lunch. Snacks will be provided!

FAFSA, Dream Act, and CSS Profile

The FAFSA and Dream Act application deadline for the UC's and CSU's is March 2nd. Private schools and out of state schools will have various deadlines for the FAFSA, Dream Act, and the CSS Profile (for participating private universities) depending on when a student's application deadline is. (Early Action, Early Decision, Regular Decision) Student's should check their school's website to review all deadlines!

Sending Official SAT and ACT Scores

Seniors, make sure you send your test scores to the universities you are applying to. Schools expect to receive official test scores from the testing agency. You will need to send your SAT scores from CollegeBoard.org and your ACT scores from ACT.org.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

SPARTANS TREE LOT 2019

Don't miss the MVHS Sports Boosters 6th Annual Christmas Tree lot featuring "high quality fresh cut #1 grade" trees from Oregon. The tree lot will be located at the Mountain View High School Stadium and will be open:

·         Weekdays 5 pm-8 pm

·         Saturdays and Sundays 10 am-7 pm

It will be staffed by our MVHS athletes, instrumental music students and parents. Come buy a tree and support your students. All proceeds go to MVHS Sports Boosters to benefit the athletic and instrumental music programs.

MVHS Sports Boosters Logo (1).jpg

Spartans PAUSE - December 13th

Spartans PAUSE is a MVHS PTSA sponsored program that helps students feel more connected and supported!

Watch the Spartans PAUSE Video to see some of the wonderful PAUSE experiences brought on campus for the students and staff.

Parents, if you've been curious about what Spartans PAUSE looks like, our next monthly PAUSE day is on Friday, December 13th, and a great opportunity for you to participate.  We will need quite a few volunteers to support our planned lunch time activities which will include rock painting, cookie decorating and a hot chocolate station.  We invite you to join us with your support and get to know Spartans PAUSE!  It is easy, quick and fun to do!

To help with any of these activities on December 13th, or in the future, sign up on the volunteer sheet, visit the Spartans PAUSE page on the MVHS Website or contact our PAUSE leads at spartanspause@xxxxxxxxx

Spartans Pause 2020.png

2020 Grad Night Update

Thank you to the over 230 families who have signed up for Grad Night so far! Cost is $190 until March 31. Scholarships are available.

You should have received your 2020 GRAD NIGHT packet in the mail in October. It contained a registration form with each senior's name on it and frequently asked questions about the night. MVHS’s Grad Night has been a long-standing tradition and a highlight of the year. Grad Night is a safe, alcohol-, tobacco, and drug-free environment supported by the PTSA. It’s a fun-filled evening with all night food, beverages, activities, music and more!

To skip the paper, you can register ONLINE at https://gradnight2020mvhs.eventbrite.com (Note: there is a small credit card fee) or visit https://mvhs.mvla.net/ParentsStudents/PTSA/Grad-Night-Information/index.html

Volunteers Needed: We are looking for 9th - 11th grade parents to help on graduation night (Friday, June 5) with parking, check-in and loading buses. Anyone interested can e-mail us at gradnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Here’s to an amazing senior year!

- The Grad Team

¡Gracias a las más de 230 familias que ya se han apuntado para “Grad Night”! La admisión cuesta $190, pero sube de precio después de 31 de marzo. Hay becas disponibles.

Para estas fechas ya debería de haber recibido el paquete 2020 GRAD NIGHT por correo en octubre. Contenía un formulario con el nombre de su estudiante para registrarse a este evento y preguntas más comunes sobre esta noche. La Noche de Graduación de MVHS tiene una larga tradición y es un punto culminante del año. Grad Night brinda un ambiente seguro, libre de alcohol, tabaco y drogas respaldada por la PTSA. ¡Es una noche llena de diversión que abarca toda la noche con comida, bebidas, actividades, música y mucho más!

Para inscribirse, llene el formulario que recibió en el correo que incluía el nombre de su estudiante (también se adjunta una copia electrónica). Para omitir el documento, puede registrarse EN LÍNEA en https://gradnight2020mvhs.eventbrite.com (Nota: hay una pequeña tarifa de tarjeta de crédito) o visitar https://mvhs.mvla.net/ParentsStudents/PTSA/Grad-Night-Information/index.html

Se necesitan voluntarios: Estamos buscando padres de 9º a 11º grado para ayudar en la noche de graduación (viernes 5 de junio) con estacionamiento, check-in y transportación. Cualquier persona interesada puede enviarnos un correo electrónico a gradnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Si tiene preguntas, envíenos un correo electrónico a gradnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

¡Tendremos un año Senior increíble!

- El Equipo de los Graduados

PTSA Logo.jpg

Spartans Sports Camp

Spartans Sports Camp is proud to announce our Holiday Basketball Camp which will take place Dec 26-30.

Holiday Basketball Camp
Learn valuable skills, stay active, and have fun in this half-day basketball camp. Shooting, ball-handling, and defense will be among the skills covered in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.  Fun games will be used to teach the skills to keep campers focused throughout the day. This is a great opportunity to stay active, have fun, and work on your game during the break. This is great preparation for the upcoming winter youth basketball leagues.

Open to boys & girls in grades 3-8, the camp will take place 9 am - 12 pm in one session:

Dec. 26- 30 (Thurs - Sun)

WE OFFER WEEKLY AND DAILY PRICING FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE:
The camp rate is $275 per week or $60 per day, and includes  t-shirt, water bottle, and drawstring backpack.

Early Registration Discount: Save $25 when you register for the full session by December 1! Limit 1 discount per camper.
Register today at
www.SpartansSportsCamp.com!

Multiple Session (Sibling) Discount — Save 10% on camp fees when you register for 2 or more sessions at the same time. Applies to registrations within the same family (i.e. multiple sessions for 1 camper or multiple sessions across siblings)

See attached flyer with additional discount code!

Spartans Sports Camp.jpg

A La Carte- Free Food Truck Service

Since last year, MVLA High School District has partnered up with “A La Carte” a Joint Venture with Silicon Valley to provide fresh and delicious surplus food from Stanford University and local tech corporate campuses to needing students and families. Participants can select meals free of charge.

To alleviate any barriers, no registration is required, no personal information is gathered. If your family could use a few extra prepared meals, you are encouraged to visit the truck every Thursday from 2:30-3:45 that will be stationed outside the District Office building. Please bring a bag to make it easier to carry home your meals, as the food truck will only provide tin containers.

Desde el año pasado, el Distrito de Escuela Secundaria MVLA se ha asociado con "A La Carte", una empresa conjunta con Silicon Valley para proporcionar alimentos excedentes frescos y deliciosos de la Universidad de Stanford y los campus corporativos tecnológicos locales para estudiantes y familias que lo necesitan. Los participantes pueden seleccionar comidas sin cargo.

Para aliviar cualquier barrera, no es necesario registrarse y no se recopila información personal. Si su familia pudiera hacer útil algunas comidas preparadas adicionales, le recomendamos que visite el camión móvil todos los jueves de 2:30-3:45 que estará estacionado afuera del edificio de la Oficina del Distrito. Traiga una bolsa para que le resulte más fácil llevar sus comidas a casa, ya que el camión de comida solo proporcionará contenedores de aluminio.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. daily. Parent/Community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7:30 de la mañana hasta las 4:00 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find Volunteer Tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center'.  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact Ms. Rafati for the latest information on volunteer tutors available. If you would like a free copy of the most current version of the Private Tutor Directory, please contact Nancy Rafati (940-4624) or nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Volunteer Tutors are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request. If your students have any requests or would like additional information about our volunteer program, please contact Nancy Rafati, Coordinator, at 940-4624, or email her at nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information: https://www.mvla.net/Page/300

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.