Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Nov 22, 2019 • 11:27 AM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: David Grissom <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 11:26:34 -0800
  • Bcc: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS

Grissom's Gazette

GG_hdr_v1.png

Friday, November 22, 2019

Saturday, November 23

Renaissance Concert, Small Gym, 6:00pm

Sunday, November 24

Renaissance Concert, Small Gym, 2:00pm & 4:30pm

Monday, November 25

Tutorial Schedule - Healthy Kids Survey, TUPE Survey

Wednesday, Nov. 27

Recess Day, NO SCHOOL

Thursday, November 28

Thanksgiving Day, NO SCHOOL

Friday, November 29

Thanksgiving Holiday, NO SCHOOL

Monday, December 2

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Friday, December 6

Fall Chamber Concert, Theater, 7pm

Tuesday, December 10

Reclassification Ceremony, MVHS Cafeteria, 6:30pm

Winter Instrumental Concert, Theater 7pm

Thursday, December 13

Spartans PAUSE

Monday, December 16

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

December 18-20

First Semester Finals

Friday, December 20

Holiday Choir Concert, Palo Alto Methodist Church, 7pm

Dec. 23-Jan. 4

Holiday Recess, NO SCHOOL

Monday, January 6

Teacher Service Day, NO SCHOOL

Tuesday, January 7

Schedule A-First Day of Second Semester

Friday, January 10

TEDx, Theater, All Day

Monday, January 13

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Wednesday, January 15

PTSA Meeting, College & Career Center, 5pm

String Fling, Theater, 7:30pm

Thursday, January 16

Band Bash, Theater, 7:30pm

Monday, January 20

HOLIDAY - Martin Luther King Jr. - NO SCHOOL

Wednesday, January 22

Advisory Day

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2019-2020!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

MVHS Community,

This will be the last Gazette prior to Thanksgiving Break.  I want to make sure that we wish each and every MVHS family a Happy Thanksgiving Break.  For those of you that will be traveling, please do so safely.  If you happen to stay in town for this holiday, please join us for our annual Turkey Trot which begin at 8:30am in Spartan Stadium.  If you do, you should have plenty of time to get home and put the turkey in the oven.

I would also like to remind the MVHS community that our MVHS Athletic Boosters Christmas Tree Lot will be open on Friday, November 29.  If you are planning on buying a Christmas Tree for the holiday, please think about the MVHS tree lot.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving break.

Go Spartans!

Dave

MVHS Logo.jpg

MVLA Foundation

We are kicking off our #GivingTuesday campaign with a generous matching gift from LinkedIn. The first $25,000 of donations received between now and midnight December 3rd will be doubled!

Your donations to the MVLA High School Foundation help sustain the programs and services that empower all our students to thrive and succeed. Your participation matters and we are grateful to all of our donors.

Please make a donation today!

MVLAfoundation_logo.png

Fall Finals Schedule

Wednesday, December 18th

2nd Period        8:10-9:45

6th Period        10:10-11:45

Lunch               11:45-12:30

7th Period        12:35-2:10

Thursday, December 19th

0 Period           8:10-9:45

1st Period         10:10-11:45

Lunch               11:45-12:30

5th Period        12:35-2:10

Friday, December 20th

3rd Period        8:10-9:45

4th Period        10:10-11:45

MVHS Logo.jpg

From the College and Career Center

Scholarships

Scholarship opportunities are posted at www.mvhsccc.net. Students should also check the colleges they are applying to for any separate scholarship applications.

College Application Assistance

Seniors, this is a reminder that the college and career center is hosting college application workshops on Tuesdays and Thursdays during lunch. Snacks will be provided!

CSU and UC Applications

Remember that the deadline to submit your CSU and UC application is November 30th, 2019. Don't wait until the last minute! We encourage that students finish their applications before the Thanksgiving break so that they can reach out to counseling or CCC staff for support!

FAFSA, Dream Act, and CSS Profile

The FAFSA and Dream Act application deadline for the UC's and CSU's is March 2nd. Private schools and out of state schools will have various deadlines for the FAFSA, Dream Act, and the CSS Profile (for participating private universities) depending on when a student's application deadline is. (Early Action, Early Decision, Regular Decision) Student's should check their school's website to review all deadlines!

Sending Official SAT and ACT Scores

Seniors, make sure you send your test scores to the universities you are applying to. Schools expect to receive official test scores from the testing agency. You will need to send your SAT scores from CollegeBoard.org and your ACT scores from ACT.org.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

SPARTANS TREE LOT 2019

Don't miss the MVHS Sports Boosters 6th Annual Christmas Tree lot featuring "high quality fresh cut #1 grade" trees from Oregon. The tree lot will be located at the Mountain View High School Stadium and will be open:

·         Friday after Thanksgiving (OPENING DAY NOV 29) 10 am-7 pm

·         Weekdays 5 pm-8 pm

·         Saturdays and Sundays 10 am-7 pm

It will be staffed by our MVHS athletes, performing arts students and parents. Come buy a tree and support your students. All proceeds go to MVHS Sports Boosters to benefit the athletic and performing arts programs.

MVHS Sports Boosters Logo (1).jpg

Turkey Trot Volunteers Needed

Mountain View High School Sports Boosters are happy to host our 10th Annual Turkey Trot which will take place on Thanksgiving, Nov 28th. Volunteers are need to make this a successful event.

Volunteer duties for the event include set-up, registration, course volunteers, managing water stations, helping with the kids run, clean-up, etc.

The Turkey Trot is a fun community running event that has grown significantly in recent years to about 1,400 participants. Proceeds benefit MVHS Athletics.

Please consider volunteering and sign up on ivolunteer at the link below. Or forward this on!

Spartan Turkey Trot MVHS TT 2019

If you have any additional questions email cgerughty@xxxxxxxxx

MVHS Sports Boosters Logo (1).jpg

Spartan Turkey Trot Registration is Open!

Thanksgiving Day at 8:30 am

Our community event, a 5k run/walk, Spartan Mile, and 60-yard/400-yard kid races has become a holiday tradition for all ages.  This year is the 10th anniversary run!  It takes places locally at our very own MVHS track.  Bring the whole family and be home in plenty of time to put the turkey in the oven! 100% of the proceeds benefit MVHS athletics.

Register at www.spartanturkeytrot.com

MVHS Sports Boosters Logo (1).jpg

MVHS Carbon Free Commute

Bike light distribution December 2 and 3

Stay safe if you're riding home in the dark!
Carbon-Free Commute volunteers will be distributing bike lights, reflectors and reflective stickers to any students who still need them on:

Monday Dec. 2  5 - 6:30pm  at the Back Parking Lot
Tuesday Dec. 3  5 - 6:30pm  at the Packard Hall bike racks

All bikers are welcome to come by and get their bike checked and get what they need.
For questions, ask the Carbon-Free Commute team at mvhscfc@xxxxxxxxx.

MVHS Logo.jpg

Spartans PAUSE - December 13th

Spartans PAUSE is a MVHS PTSA sponsored program that helps students feel more connected and supported!

Watch the Spartans PAUSE Video to see some of the wonderful PAUSE experierces brought on campus for the students and staff.

Parents, if you've been curious about what Spartans PAUSE looks like, our next monthly PAUSE day is on Friday, December 13th, and a great opportunity for you to participate.  We will need quite a few volunteers to support our planned lunch time activities which will include cookie decorating and a hot chocolate station.  We invite you to join us with your support and get to know Spartans PAUSE!  It is easy, quick and fun to do!

To help with any of these activities on December 13th, or in the future, sign up on the volunteer sheet, visit the Spartans PAUSE page on the MVHS Website or contact our PAUSE leads at spartanspause@xxxxxxxxx

Spartans Pause 2020.png

2020 Grad Night - Early Bird Pricing Ends Nov. 26

Thank you to the over 100 families who have signed up for Grad Night so far! Keep spreading the word.

You should have received your 2020 GRAD NIGHT packet in the mail. It contained a registration form with each senior's name on it and frequently asked questions about the night. MVHS’s Grad Night has been a long-standing tradition and a highlight of the year. Grad Night is a safe, alcohol-, tobacco, and drug-free environment supported by the PTSA. It’s a fun-filled evening with all night food, beverages, activities, music and more!

We are excited to announce that this year’s grad night experience is unlike any other. Be sure to sign up early (BY TUESDAY, NOV 26) to take advantage of the discounted price. If you are interested in a scholarship, please indicate it on the form.

To skip the paper, you can register ONLINE at https://gradnight2020mvhs.eventbrite.com (Note: there is a small credit card fee). Be sure to remind others to sign up early as well!

Volunteers Needed: We are looking for 9th - 11th grade parents to help on graduation night (Friday, June 5) with parking, check-in and loading buses. Anyone interested can e-mail us at gradnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Here’s to an amazing senior year!

- The Grad Team

Estimados Padres de la Clase 2020,

Agradecemos a las más de 100 familias que ya se han registrado para la fiesta de graduación “Grad Night!” Por favor sigan pasando la voz!

Para estas fechas ya debería de haber recibido el paquete 2020 GRAD NIGHT por correo. Contenía un formulario con el nombre de su estudiante para registrarse a este evento y preguntas más comunes sobre esta noche. La Noche de Graduación de MVHS tiene una larga tradición y es un punto culminante del año. Grad Night brinda un ambiente seguro, libre de alcohol, tabaco y drogas respaldada por la PTSA. ¡Es una noche llena de diversión que abarca toda la noche con comida, bebidas, actividades, música y mucho más!

Para nosotros es un placer anunciar que la experiencia de la noche de graduación de este año es diferente a cualquier otra. Asegúrese de registrarse lo más temprano posible (PARA EL MARTES 26 DE NOVIEMBRE) para aprovechar el precio con descuento de $ 160. El precio aumentará el 27 de noviembre. Si está interesado en una beca, indíquelo en el formulario.

Para inscribirse, llene el formulario que recibió en el correo que incluía el nombre de su estudiante (también se adjunta una copia electrónica). Para omitir el documento, puede registrarse EN LÍNEA en https://gradnight2020mvhs.eventbrite.com (Nota: hay una pequeña tarifa de tarjeta de crédito). ¡Asegúrese de recordar a los demás que se inscriban lo más pronto posible también!

Si tiene preguntas, envíenos un correo electrónico a gradnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

¡Tendremos un año Senior increíble!

- El Equipo de los Graduados

PTSA Logo.jpg

Spartans Sports Camp

Spartans Sports Camp is proud to announce our Holiday Basketball Camp which will take place Dec 26-30.

Holiday Basketball Camp
Learn valuable skills, stay active, and have fun in this half-day basketball camp. Shooting, ball-handling, and defense will be among the skills covered in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.  Fun games will be used to teach the skills to keep campers focused throughout the day. This is a great opportunity to stay active, have fun, and work on your game during the break. This is great preparation for the upcoming winter youth basketball leagues.

Open to boys & girls in grades 3-8, the camp will take place 9 am - 12 pm in one session:

Dec. 26- 30 (Thurs - Sun)

WE OFFER WEEKLY AND DAILY PRICING FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE:
The camp rate is $275 per week or $60 per day, and includes  t-shirt, water bottle, and drawstring backpack.

Early Registration Discount: Save $25 when you register for the full session by December 1! Limit 1 discount per camper.
Register today at
www.SpartansSportsCamp.com!

Multiple Session (Sibling) Discount — Save 10% on camp fees when you register for 2 or more sessions at the same time. Applies to registrations within the same family (i.e. multiple sessions for 1 camper or multiple sessions across siblings)

See attached flyer with additional discount code!

Spartans Sports Camp.jpg

Seeking Walden West Cabin Leaders

Santa Rita and Covington Elementary Schools Seeking Cabin Leaders for Walden West Science Camp!  Please help our 6th graders have an amazing week at Walden West Science Camp! Cabin Leaders support our 6th graders as they learn, hike, and take on new challenges at camp. Walden West supports high school student’s academic engagement, builds their leadership skills and adds to their portfolios for future careers and college. Volunteers also earn up to 100 hours of volunteer hours! Training and support is provided throughout the week. You can contact Ms. Natalie Cannon, Santa Rita 6th grade teacher, at ncannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with questions. Thank you for your support!

What:

Volunteer Cabin Leaders

When:

December 2 – 6, 2019

Who:

High School Students

How:

Apply at http://www.waldenwest.org/volunteer/apply.asp

A La Carte- Free Food Truck Service

Since last year, MVLA High School District has partnered up with “A La Carte” a Joint Venture with Silicon Valley to provide fresh and delicious surplus food from Stanford University and local tech corporate campuses to needing students and families. Participants can select meals free of charge.

To alleviate any barriers, no registration is required, no personal information is gathered. If your family could use a few extra prepared meals, you are encouraged to visit the truck every Thursday from 2:30-3:45 that will be stationed outside the District Office building. Please bring a bag to make it easier to carry home your meals, as the food truck will only provide tin containers.

Desde el año pasado, el Distrito de Escuela Secundaria MVLA se ha asociado con "A La Carte", una empresa conjunta con Silicon Valley para proporcionar alimentos excedentes frescos y deliciosos de la Universidad de Stanford y los campus corporativos tecnológicos locales para estudiantes y familias que lo necesitan. Los participantes pueden seleccionar comidas sin cargo.

Para aliviar cualquier barrera, no es necesario registrarse y no se recopila información personal. Si su familia pudiera hacer útil algunas comidas preparadas adicionales, le recomendamos que visite el camión móvil todos los jueves de 2:30-3:45 que estará estacionado afuera del edificio de la Oficina del Distrito. Traiga una bolsa para que le resulte más fácil llevar sus comidas a casa, ya que el camión de comida solo proporcionará contenedores de aluminio.

MVLA Logo.png

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. daily. Parent/Community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7:30 de la mañana hasta las 4:00 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find Volunteer Tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center'.  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact Ms. Rafati for the latest information on volunteer tutors available. If you would like a free copy of the most current version of the Private Tutor Directory, please contact Nancy Rafati (940-4624) or nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Volunteer Tutors are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request. If your students have any requests or would like additional information about our volunteer program, please contact Nancy Rafati, Coordinator, at 940-4624, or email her at nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information: https://www.mvla.net/Page/300

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.