Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Nov 15, 2019 • 4:22 PM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: David Grissom <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 16:22:05 -0800
  • Bcc: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS

Grissom's Gazette

GG_hdr_v1.png

Friday, November 15, 2019

Friday, November 15

Fall Play, The Servant of Two Masters, Theatre, 7pm

Saturday, November 16

Fall Play, The Servant of Two Masters, Theatre, 7pm

Nov. 18-22

STEAM Week

Monday, November 18

Tutorial Schedule

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Wednesday, Nov. 20

PTSA Meeting, Library, 5pm

Thursday, November 21

Spartans PAUSE

Friday, November 22

Renaissance Concert

Monday, November 25

Tutorial Schedule

Wednesday, Nov. 27

Recess Day, NO SCHOOL

Thursday, November 28

Thanksgiving Day, NO SCHOOL

Friday, November 29

Thanksgiving Holiday, NO SCHOOL

Monday, December 2

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Friday, December 6

Fall Chamber Concert, Theater, 7pm

Tuesday, December 10

Reclassification Ceremony, MVHS Cafeteria, 6:30pm

Winter Instrumental Concert, Theater 7pm

Thursday, December 13

Spartans PAUSE

Monday, December 16

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

December 18-20

First Semester Finals

Friday, December 20

Holiday Concert

Dec. 23-Jan. 4

Holiday Recess, NO SCHOOL

Monday, January 6

Teacher Service Day, NO SCHOOL

Tuesday, January 7

Schedule A-First Day of Second Semester

Friday, January 10

TEDx, Theater, All Day

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2019-2020!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

MVHS Community,

Yesterday we received the tragic news about the school shooting at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, California.  These events remind us of how vulnerable we are to gun violence.  It is also important to remember that these events are not common, yet it is in our own best interest to know how to respond to them if necessary.

On Monday, November 18th, during Tutorial time, we will be rehearsing a planned Run, Hide, Defense drill with our students.  All of the information provided to Staff and students for this drill is based on law enforcement's recommendations and best practice.  The safety of our students is of the utmost importance to us.

Thank you,
MVHS Administration

MVHS Logo.jpg

Board of Trustees

The MVLA Board of Trustees will hold a regular board meeting on Monday, November 18, 2019, at 5:00 p.m. (Closed Session); 7:00 p.m. (Open Session) in the district office Board Room, 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA, 94040

At this meeting, the Board of Trustees will consider adoption of Resolution Number 20-7: Resolution in Support of Local Government Action to Prevent and Reduce Youth Tobacco Use Through Tobacco Sales Restrictions, Including Sales of Unflavored Tobacco Products & Reducing Density of Tobacco Stores; they will hold a Public Hearing and vote on the districts and District Teachers’ Association’s (DTA) contract reopeners for the 2019/2020 school year, and hear a presentation on the Annual District Accountability Report. The Board agenda packet may be viewed here

La Mesa Directiva de MVLA tendrá una junta regular el lunes 18 de noviembre de 2019, a las 5:00 p.m. (Sesión Cerrada); 7:00 p.m. (Sesión Abierta) en la sala de juntas de la oficina del distrito, 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA, 94040.

En esta junta, la Mesa Directiva considerará la adopción de la Resolución Número 20-7: Resolución en Apoyo de las Medidas del Gobierno Local Para Prevenir y Reducir el Consumo de Tabaco de los Jóvenes a Través de las Restricciones de Ventas de Tabaco, Incluyendo Ventas de Productos de Tabaco Sin Sabor y Reducción de la Densidad de las Tiendas de Tabaco; tendrán una Audiencia Pública y votarán sobre los re-abridores del distrito y del contrato de la Asociación de Maestros del Distrito (DTA) para el año escolar 2019/2020, y escucharán una presentación sobre el Informe Anual de Responsabilidad del Distrito. El paquete de la agenda puede ser visto
aquí.

MVLA Logo.png

MVLA Foundation

It's November and we are starting the holiday season early by kicking off our #GivingTuesday campaign with a generous matching gift from LinkedIn. The first $25,000 of donations received between now and midnight December 3rd will be doubled!

Your donations to the MVLA High School Foundation help sustain the programs and services that empower all our students to thrive and succeed. Your participation matters and we are grateful to all of our donors.

Please make your donation today!

Es noviembre y estaremos comenzando la temporada de los días festivos temprano al comenzar nuestra campaña de #Giving Tuesday con un generoso regalo de LinkedIn.  ¡Los primeros $25,000 recibidos en donaciones entre ahorita al 3 de diciembre serán duplicados!

Sus donaciones a la Fundación de MVLA High School ayuda a sostener los programas que dan poder a todos los estudiantes para poder prosperar y tener éxito.  Su participación cuenta y estamos agradecidos con todos nuestros donadores.

¡Por favor haga su donación ahora!

MVLAfoundation_logo.png

STEAM Week @ MVHS

We are excited to host another inspiration week of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math)! Our goal is to inspire all students in pursuing a career in STEAM and/or understanding the skill-set of STEAM helps all people in life and career.

The finale of our week is with our STEAM Speaker Series. We are pleased to feature leading scientists, mathematicians, artists and technologists from Silicon Valley’s prestigious research institutions and innovative corporations. They will be sharing their personal and professional experiences with Mountain View High School students.

This year’s STEAM Week (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math) activities are being held on November 18th- 22nd. The schedule for this year is:
Monday, November 18th:                   Hour of code during math classes.
Wednesday, November 20th   :           Lunch activities in the quad for all depts. & local companies and robotics exhibition.
Thursday, November 21st:                  Lunch displays, demos, and/or activities in Art classrooms.
Friday, November 22nd:                      Motivating and inspiring STEAM Speakers in the Spartan Theater.

MVHS Logo.jpg

CCS Football Playoff Tickets

If you are planning on attending the CCS Football game at MVHS between Burlingame High School and Mountain View High School, you may purchase tickets on-line at: https://gofan.co/app/school/CIFCCS.

By doing so, you may purchase them at home, print and bring the tickets with you.  This will allow you to bypass the ticket lines when you arrive at the game.

See you tomorrow!

Go Spartans!

MVHS Logo.jpg

Congratulations Spartan Robotics

Spartan Robotics (FRC Team 971) finished off an incredible year, winning all 6 of their competitions in 2019. They finished 4th at the FIRST World Championships this past April after winning the San Francisco and Utah Regionals and Galileo, their championship subdivision.

This fall, they won Chezy Champs at Bellarmine and Calgames at Woodside High School. This past weekend, they competed with 3 robots at Madtown Throwdown in Madera. All 3 robots made it to the elimination rounds and their primary robot won the entire event. They look forward to building on their success in the 2020 season, which kicks off in January.

Go Spartans!

Robotics.png

MVHS Fall Play - The Servant of Two Masters

The Servant of Two Masters is a hilarious adaptation of the classic Italian commedia dell'arte comedy by Carlo Goldoni, adapted by Oded Gross and Tracy Young. A troupe of actors is trying to put on a production of The Servant of Two Masters, but they face challenges with budget cuts and lack of resources. The director has been fired, so one of the actors takes it upon himself to lead the troupe and make sure the show goes on. The story concerns the terrible complications wrought by the servant Traffaldino when he gets himself jobs with two different people at the same time. Not all the complications are of his making; one of his 'masters' is in fact a lady in disguise, and the other master is her lover, but Truffaldino doesn't know this. Mishaps and mayhem ensue as Truffaldino gets himself deeper and deeper in trouble.

Tickets are $10 for students and seniors, $15 for adults. Tickets can be purchased online at www.theatremvhs.com, through a cast member, or at lunch in the quad during the week of the show. Come watch this hilariously entertaining production and support the amazing MVHS Theatre students!

MVHS Logo.jpg

From the College and Career Center

Scholarships

Scholarship opportunities are posted at www.mvhsccc.net. Students should also check the colleges they are applying to for any separate scholarship applications.

College Application Assistance

Seniors, this is a reminder that the college and career center is hosting college application workshops on Tuesdays and Thursdays during lunch. Snacks will be provided!

CSU and UC Applications

Remember that the deadline to submit your CSU and UC application is November 30th, 2019. Don't wait until the last minute! We encourage that students finish their applications before the Thanksgiving break so that they can reach out to counseling or CCC staff for support!

FAFSA, Dream Act, and CSS Profile

The FAFSA and Dream Act application deadline for the UC's and CSU's is March 2nd. Private schools and out of state schools will have various deadlines for the FAFSA, Dream Act, and the CSS Profile (for participating private universities) depending on when a student's application deadline is. (Early Action, Early Decision, Regular Decision) Student's should check their school's website to review all deadlines!

Sending Official SAT and ACT Scores

Seniors, make sure you send your test scores to the universities you are applying to. Schools expect to receive official test scores from the testing agency. You will need to send your SAT scores from CollegeBoard.org and your ACT scores from ACT.org.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

SPARTANS TREE LOT 2019

Don't miss the MVHS Sports Boosters 6th Annual Christmas Tree lot featuring "high quality fresh cut #1 grade" trees from Oregon. The tree lot will be located at the Mountain View High School Stadium and will be open:

·         Friday after Thanksgiving (OPENING DAY NOV 29) 10 am-7 pm

·         Weekdays 5 pm-8 pm

·         Saturdays and Sundays 10 am-7 pm

It will be staffed by our MVHS athletes, performing arts students and parents. Come buy a tree and support your students. All proceeds go to MVHS Sports Boosters to benefit the athletic and performing arts programs.

MVHS Sports Boosters Logo (1).jpg

Spartan Turkey Trot Registration is Open!

Thanksgiving Day at 8:30 am

Our community event, a 5k run/walk, Spartan Mile, and 60-yard/400-yard kid races has become a holiday tradition for all ages.  This year is the 10th anniversary run!  It takes places locally at our very own MVHS track.  Bring the whole family and be home in plenty of time to put the turkey in the oven! 100% of the proceeds benefit MVHS athletics.

Register at www.spartanturkeytrot.com

MVHS Sports Boosters Logo (1).jpg

2020 Grad Night

Thank you to the over 100 families who have signed up for Grad Night so far! Keep spreading the word.

You should have received your 2020 GRAD NIGHT packet in the mail. It contained a registration form with each senior's name on it and frequently asked questions about the night. MVHS’s Grad Night has been a long-standing tradition and a highlight of the year. Grad Night is a safe, alcohol-, tobacco, and drug-free environment supported by the PTSA. It’s a fun-filled evening with all night food, beverages, activities, music and more!

We are excited to announce that this year’s grad night experience is unlike any other. Be sure to sign up early (BY TUESDAY, NOV 26) to take advantage of the discounted price. If you are interested in a scholarship, please indicate it on the form.

To skip the paper, you can register ONLINE at https://gradnight2020mvhs.eventbrite.com (Note: there is a small credit card fee). Be sure to remind others to sign up early as well!

Volunteers Needed: We are looking for 9th - 11th grade parents to help on graduation night (Friday, June 5) with parking, check-in and loading buses. Anyone interested can e-mail us at gradnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Here’s to an amazing senior year!

- The Grad Team

Estimados Padres de la Clase 2020,

Para estas fechas ya debería de haber recibido el paquete 2020 GRAD NIGHT por correo. Contenía un formulario con el nombre de su estudiante para registrarse a este evento y preguntas más comunes sobre esta noche. La Noche de Graduación de MVHS tiene una larga tradición y es un punto culminante del año. Grad Night brinda un ambiente seguro, libre de alcohol, tabaco y drogas respaldada por la PTSA. ¡Es una noche llena de diversión que abarca toda la noche con comida, bebidas, actividades, música y mucho más!

Para nosotros es un placer anunciar que la experiencia de la noche de graduación de este año es diferente a cualquier otra. Asegúrese de registrarse lo más temprano posible (PARA EL MARTES 26 DE NOVIEMBRE) para aprovechar el precio con descuento de $ 160. El precio aumentará el 27 de noviembre. Si está interesado en una beca, indíquelo en el formulario.

Para inscribirse, llene el formulario que recibió en el correo que incluía el nombre de su estudiante (también se adjunta una copia electrónica). Para omitir el documento, puede registrarse EN LÍNEA en https://gradnight2020mvhs.eventbrite.com (Nota: hay una pequeña tarifa de tarjeta de crédito). ¡Asegúrese de recordar a los demás que se inscriban lo más pronto posible también!

 Si tiene preguntas,

envíenos un correo electrónico a gradnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

 ¡Tendremos un año

Senior increíble!

- El Equipo de los Graduados

PTSA Logo.jpg

Spartans PAUSE - November 21st

Spartans PAUSE is a MVHS PTSA sponsored program that helps students feel more connected and supported!

Watch the Spartans PAUSE Video to see some of the wonderful PAUSE experiences brought on campus for the students and staff.

The Spartans PAUSE Team, students and parent volunteers will host the next PAUSE event on Thursday, November 21st.  The day will start with morning snacks handed out by our MVHS student ambassadors followed by rock painting, chair massage. PAWs Therapy Dogs and a visit from Animal Assisted Happiness who’s mission is to enrich the lives of youth through barnyard animal interactions during the lunch break.

To help with any of these activities on November 21st, or in the future, sign up on the volunteer sheet, visit the Spartans PAUSE page on the MVHS Website or contact our PAUSE leads at spartanspause@xxxxxxxxx

Spartans Pause 2020.png

Spartans Sports Camp

Spartans Sports Camp is proud to announce our Holiday Basketball Camp which will take place Dec 26-30.

Holiday Basketball Camp
Learn valuable skills, stay active, and have fun in this half-day basketball camp. Shooting, ball-handling, and defense will be among the skills covered in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.  Fun games will be used to teach the skills to keep campers focused throughout the day. This is a great opportunity to stay active, have fun, and work on your game during the break. This is great preparation for the upcoming winter youth basketball leagues.

Open to boys & girls in grades 3-8, the camp will take place 9 am - 12 pm in one session:

Dec. 26- 30 (Thurs - Sun)

WE OFFER WEEKLY AND DAILY PRICING FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE:
The camp rate is $275 per week or $60 per day, and includes  t-shirt, water bottle, and drawstring backpack.

Early Registration Discount: Save $25 when you register for the full session by December 1! Limit 1 discount per camper.
Register today at
www.SpartansSportsCamp.com!

Multiple Session (Sibling) Discount — Save 10% on camp fees when you register for 2 or more sessions at the same time. Applies to registrations within the same family (i.e. multiple sessions for 1 camper or multiple sessions across siblings)

See attached flyer with additional discount code!

Spartans Sports Camp.jpg

SELPA 1 CAC Parent Education Event

Parent Education event Adolescent Wellness Series with Dr. Moira Kessler, November 20, 6:30-8 pm. Springer Elementary.

Session 2, November 20th: Learn about typical and atypical adolescent development, the signs and symptoms of depression and anxiety in teens, and about risks factors for and protective factors against suicide.

Evento de educación para padres Serie de bienestar para adolescentes con la Dra. Moira Kessler. 13 de noviembre y 20 de noviembre, 6: 30-8 pm. Springer Elementary.

Sesión 2 el 20/11: aprenda sobre el desarrollo adolescente típico y atípico, los signos y síntomas de depresión y ansiedad en adolescentes, y sobre los factores de riesgo y factores protectores contra el suicidio.

A La Carte- Free Food Truck Service

Since last year, MVLA High School District has partnered up with “A La Carte” a Joint Venture with Silicon Valley to provide fresh and delicious surplus food from Stanford University and local tech corporate campuses to needing students and families. Participants can select meals free of charge.

To alleviate any barriers, no registration is required, no personal information is gathered. If your family could use a few extra prepared meals, you are encouraged to visit the truck every Thursday from 2:30-3:45 that will be stationed outside the District Office building. Please bring a bag to make it easier to carry home your meals, as the food truck will only provide tin containers.

Desde el año pasado, el Distrito de Escuela Secundaria MVLA se ha asociado con "A La Carte", una empresa conjunta con Silicon Valley para proporcionar alimentos excedentes frescos y deliciosos de la Universidad de Stanford y los campus corporativos tecnológicos locales para estudiantes y familias que lo necesitan. Los participantes pueden seleccionar comidas sin cargo.

Para aliviar cualquier barrera, no es necesario registrarse y no se recopila información personal. Si su familia pudiera hacer útil algunas comidas preparadas adicionales, le recomendamos que visite el camión móvil todos los jueves de 2:30-3:45 que estará estacionado afuera del edificio de la Oficina del Distrito. Traiga una bolsa para que le resulte más fácil llevar sus comidas a casa, ya que el camión de comida solo proporcionará contenedores de aluminio.

MVLA Logo.png

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. daily. Parent/Community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7:30 de la mañana hasta las 4:00 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find Volunteer Tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center'.  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact Ms. Rafati for the latest information on volunteer tutors available. If you would like a free copy of the most current version of the Private Tutor Directory, please contact Nancy Rafati (940-4624) or nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Volunteer Tutors are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request. If your students have any requests or would like additional information about our volunteer program, please contact Nancy Rafati, Coordinator, at 940-4624, or email her at nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information: https://www.mvla.net/Page/300

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.