Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Nov 8, 2019 • 3:08 PM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: David Grissom <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 15:07:15 -0800
  • Bcc: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS

Grissom's Gazette
GG_hdr_v1.png

Friday, November 8, 2019

Monday, November 11

Holiday, Veteran’s Day, NO SCHOOL

Thursday, November 14

Fall Play, The Servant of Two Masters, Theatre, 7pm

Friday, November 15

Fall Play, The Servant of Two Masters, Theatre, 7pm

Saturday, November 16

Fall Play, The Servant of Two Masters, Theatre, 7pm

Monday, November 18

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Wednesday, Nov. 20

PTSA Meeting, Library, 7pm

Thursday, November 21

Spartans PAUSE

Monday, November 25

Schedule G

Wednesday, Nov. 27

Recess Day, NO SCHOOL

Thursday, November 28

Thanksgiving Day, NO SCHOOL

Friday, November 29

Thanksgiving Holiday, NO SCHOOL

Monday, December 2

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Thursday, December 13

Spartans PAUSE

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2019-2020!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

Parent and Students,

Now that daylight savings time is over, it is getting darker in the late afternoon when many
students are biking home.  Please remember that people biking in the dark must have a headlight, a rear reflector or light, and reflectors on their wheels and pedals. This upcoming three-day weekend is a great time to buy a headlight if you don't already have one.

I would like to congratulate the Girls Golf team, Girls Volleyball team and the Girls Water Polo Teams for all making the CCS Playoffs.  Our girls golf team finished 6th in the CCS, and Senior Reeya Vasishta qualified for the CIF Northern California Championship.  Our girls Water Polo team will compete in the first round of the CCS playoffs tomorrow at Woodside H.S. at 2:30 pm; if you have an opportunity, come to watch them play. Lastly, the Cross Country teams have also qualified for CCS and they will run next weekend.

Have a great three-day weekend.  Go Spartans!

Dave Grissom

MVHS Logo.jpg

MVLA Foundation

It's November and we are starting the holiday season early by kicking off our #GivingTuesday campaign with a generous matching gift from LinkedIn. The first $25,000 of donations received between now and midnight December 3rd will be doubled!

Your donations to the MVLA High School Foundation help sustain the programs and services that empower all our students to thrive and succeed. Your participation matters and we are grateful to all of our donors.

Please make your donation today!

Es noviembre y estaremos comenzando la temporada de los días festivos temprano al comenzar nuestra campaña de #Giving Tuesday con un generoso regalo de LinkedIn.  ¡Los primeros $25,000 recibidos en donaciones entre ahorita al 3 de diciembre serán duplicados!

Sus donaciones a la Fundación de MVLA High School ayuda a sostener los programas que dan poder a todos los estudiantes para poder prosperar y tener éxito.  Su participación cuenta y estamos agradecidos con todos nuestros donadores.

¡Por favor haga su donación ahora!

MVLAfoundation_logo.png

The MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series presents:

Bonnie Halpern-Felsher

The Vaping Crisis:  What Is It Doing to Our Kids?
Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019 - 7:00 - 9:00pm | LAHS Eagle Theatre | 201 Almond Ave., Los Altos, CA

Join us as Dr. Bonnie Halpern-Felsher, Professor of Pediatrics at Stanford University, discusses the harmful impacts vaping has on the minds and bodies of adolescents.

Dr. Halpern-Felsher will provide an overview of current tobacco/nicotine products, including vapes, Juuls and other pod-based systems, which are more commonly used among teens than combustible cigarettes.  Drawing upon on-going research, Dr. Halpern-Felsher will address why adolescents are drawn to using these products, dispel common misperceptions held by both adults and teens, and share effective, evidence-based strategies that parents, caregivers, and teachers, can leverage to help prevent and reduce the use of these addictive products.

The talk will be followed by a panel of local administrators and a mental health professional.
  To register for this free event, go to https://mvla2019-20-bonniehalpern-felsher.eventbrite.com

Sponsored by Los Altos Educational Foundation (LAEF), MVLA High School Foundation, Mountain View Educational Foundation (MVEF), and Los Altos-Mountain View PTA Council.

Parent Speaker Series logo.png

MVHS Fall Play - The Servant of Two Masters

The Servant of Two Masters is a hilarious adaptation of the classic Italian commedia dell'arte comedy by Carlo Goldoni, adapted by Oded Gross and Tracy Young. A troupe of actors is trying to put on a production of The Servant of Two Masters, but they face challenges with budget cuts and lack of resources. The director has been fired, so one of the actors takes it upon himself to lead the troupe and make sure the show goes on. The story concerns the terrible complications wrought by the servant Traffaldino when he gets himself jobs with two different people at the same time. Not all the complications are of his making; one of his 'masters' is in fact a lady in disguise, and the other master is her lover, but Truffaldino doesn't know this. Mishaps and mayhem ensue as Truffaldino gets himself deeper and deeper in trouble.

Tickets are $10 for students and seniors, $15 for adults. Tickets can be purchased online at www.theatremvhs.com, through a cast member, or at lunch in the quad during the week of the show. Come watch this hilariously entertaining production and support the amazing MVHS Theatre students!

MVHS Logo.jpg

Counseling Courier

Please find the November/December edition of the Counseling Department's quarterly newsletter, the Counseling Courier in the attachments to this Gazette.  We hope you find it informative and useful.

MVHS Logo.jpg

From the College and Career Center

Scholarships

Scholarship opportunities are posted at www.mvhsccc.net. Students should also check the colleges they are applying to for any separate scholarship applications.

College Application Assistance

Seniors, this is a reminder that the college and career center is hosting college application workshops on Tuesdays and Thursdays during lunch. Snacks will be provided!

CSU and UC Applications

Remember that the deadline to submit your CSU and UC application is November 30th, 2019. Don't wait until the last minute! We encourage that students finish their applications before the Thanksgiving break so that they can reach out to counseling or CCC staff for support!

FAFSA, Dream Act, and CSS Profile

The FAFSA and Dream Act application deadline for the UC's and CSU's is March 2nd. Private schools and out of state schools will have various deadlines for the FAFSA, Dream Act, and the CSS Profile (for participating private universities) depending on when a student's application deadline is. (Early Action, Early Decision, Regular Decision) Student's should check their school's website to review all deadlines!

Sending Official SAT and ACT Scores

Seniors, make sure you send your test scores to the universities you are applying to. Schools expect to receive official test scores from the testing agency. You will need to send your SAT scores from CollegeBoard.org and your ACT scores from ACT.org.

MVLAfoundation_logo_fundedby.png

Spartan Turkey Trot Registration is Open!

Thanksgiving Day at 8:30 am

Our community event, a 5k run/walk, Spartan Mile, and 60-yard/400-yard kid races has become a holiday tradition for all ages.  This year is the 10th anniversary run!  It takes places locally at our very own MVHS track.  Bring the whole family and be home in plenty of time to put the turkey in the oven! 100% of the proceeds benefit MVHS athletics.

Register at www.spartanturkeytrot.com

MVHS Sports Boosters Logo (1).jpg

2020 Grad Night

Grad Night registrations are coming in! You should have received your 2020 GRAD NIGHT packet in the mail a few weeks ago. It contained a registration form with your student’s name and frequently asked questions about the night. MVHS’s Grad Night has been a long-standing tradition and a highlight of the year. Grad Night is a safe, alcohol-, tobacco, and drug-free environment supported by the PTSA. It’s a fun-filled evening with all night food, beverages, activities, music and more!

We are excited to announce that this year’s grad night experience is unlike any other. Be sure to sign up early (BY TUESDAY, NOV 26) to take advantage of the discounted price. The price goes up on Nov. 27th. If you are interested in a scholarship, please indicate it on the form. Visit the Grad Night Page (under PTSA) on our school’s website for forms and more information or email us at gradnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To skip the paper, you can register ONLINE at https://gradnight2020mvhs.eventbrite.com (Note: there is a small credit card fee). Be sure to remind others to sign up early as well! And consider contributing to our scholarship fund so all seniors have the opportunity to attend.

We will have a Grad Night committee meeting on Monday, Nov. 11, 5pm to 6:30pm (Starbucks private room at 1291 S. Mary Ave, Sunnyvale). Join us if you’re interested in helping to plan this special night.

ATTENTION 9th - 11th Grade Parents: Consider volunteering on graduation night (Friday, June 5). We are looking for adults to help with parking, check-in and loading buses. Email us if you are interested.

Here’s to an amazing senior year! - The Grad Team

PTSA Logo.jpg

Spartans PAUSE - November 21st

Spartans PAUSE is a MVHS PTSA sponsored program that helps students feel more connected and supported!

Watch the Spartans PAUSE Video to see some of the wonderful PAUSE experiences brought on campus for the students and staff.

The Spartans PAUSE Team, students and parent volunteers will host the next PAUSE event on Thursday, November 21st.  The day will start with morning snacks handed out by our MVHS student ambassadors followed by rock painting, chair massage. PAWs Therapy Dogs and a visit from Animal Assisted Happiness who’s mission is to enrich the lives of youth through barnyard animal interactions during the lunch break.

To help with any of these activities on November 21st, or in the future, sign up on the volunteer sheet, visit the Spartans PAUSE page on the MVHS Website or contact our PAUSE leads at spartanspause@xxxxxxxxx

Spartans Pause 2020.png

SELPA 1 CAC Parent Education Event

Parent Education event Adolescent Wellness Series with Dr. Moira Kessler. November 13 and November 20, 6:30-8 pm. Springer Elementary.

Session 1 on 11/13: Learn tools on how to communicate effectively with your child, how to validate yourself and your child, and how to increase desirable behaviors and decrease undesirable behaviors.

Session 2 on 11/20: Learn about typical and atypical adolescent development, the signs and symptoms of depression and anxiety in teens, and about risks factors for and protective factors against suicide.

Evento de educación para padres Serie de bienestar para adolescentes con la Dra. Moira Kessler. 13 de noviembre y 20 de noviembre, 6: 30-8 pm. Springer Elementary.

Sesión 1 el 13/11: aprenda herramientas sobre cómo comunicarse efectivamente con su hijo, cómo validarse a sí mismo y a su hijo, y cómo aumentar los comportamientos deseables y disminuir los comportamientos indeseables.

Sesión 2 el 20/11: aprenda sobre el desarrollo adolescente típico y atípico, los signos y síntomas de depresión y ansiedad en adolescentes, y sobre los factores de riesgo y factores protectores contra el suicidio.

A La Carte- Free Food Truck Service

Since last year, MVLA High School District has partnered up with “A La Carte” a Joint Venture with Silicon Valley to provide fresh and delicious surplus food from Stanford University and local tech corporate campuses to needing students and families. Participants can select meals free of charge.

To alleviate any barriers, no registration is required, no personal information is gathered. If your family could use a few extra prepared meals, you are encouraged to visit the truck every Thursday from 2:30-3:45 that will be stationed outside the District Office building. Please bring a bag to make it easier to carry home your meals, as the food truck will only provide tin containers.

Desde el año pasado, el Distrito de Escuela Secundaria MVLA se ha asociado con "A La Carte", una empresa conjunta con Silicon Valley para proporcionar alimentos excedentes frescos y deliciosos de la Universidad de Stanford y los campus corporativos tecnológicos locales para estudiantes y familias que lo necesitan. Los participantes pueden seleccionar comidas sin cargo.

Para aliviar cualquier barrera, no es necesario registrarse y no se recopila información personal. Si su familia pudiera hacer útil algunas comidas preparadas adicionales, le recomendamos que visite el camión móvil todos los jueves de 2:30-3:45 que estará estacionado afuera del edificio de la Oficina del Distrito. Traiga una bolsa para que le resulte más fácil llevar sus comidas a casa, ya que el camión de comida solo proporcionará contenedores de aluminio.

MVLA Logo.png

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. daily. Parent/Community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7:30 de la mañana hasta las 4:00 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find Volunteer Tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center'.  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact Ms. Rafati for the latest information on volunteer tutors available. If you would like a free copy of the most current version of the Private Tutor Directory, please contact Nancy Rafati (940-4624) or nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Volunteer Tutors are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request. If your students have any requests or would like additional information about our volunteer program, please contact Nancy Rafati, Coordinator, at 940-4624, or email her at nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information: https://www.mvla.net/Page/300

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.