Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Nov 1, 2019 • 3:17 PM PDT
From: Grissom, David
  • To: David Grissom <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 15:17:15 -0700
  • Bcc: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS

Grissom's Gazette

GG_hdr_v1.png

Friday, November 1, 2019

Monday, November 4

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Monday, November 11

Holiday, Veteran’s Day, NO SCHOOL

Thursday, November 14

Fall Play, The Servant of Two Masters, Theatre, 7pm

Friday, November 15

Fall Play, The Servant of Two Masters, Theatre, 7pm

Saturday, November 16

Fall Play, The Servant of Two Masters, Theatre, 7pm

Monday, November 18

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Wednesday, Nov. 20

PTSA Meeting, Library, 7pm

Thursday, November 21

Spartans PAUSE

Monday, November 25

Schedule G

Wednesday, Nov. 27

Recess Day, NO SCHOOL

Thursday, November 28

Thanksgiving Day, NO SCHOOL

Friday, November 29

Thanksgiving Holiday, NO SCHOOL

Monday, December 2

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Thursday, December 13

Spartans PAUSE

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2019-2020!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

MVLA Board of Trustees

The MVLA Board of Trustees will hold a regular board meeting on Monday, November 4, 2019, at 7 pm in the district office Board Room, 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA, 94040

The Board of Trustees will hold a Public Hearing on the district’s and District Teachers’ Association’s (DTA) contract reopeners for the 2019/2020 school year, and receive an update on the Mountain View City/School Strategy. The Board agenda packet may be viewed here

La Mesa Directiva de MVLA tendrá una reunión regular el Lunes, 4 de noviembre 2019, a las 7 pm en la oficina del Distrito Escolar, 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94040.

La Mesa Directiva tendrá una Audiencia Pública sobre contratos del Distrito y el de la Asociación de Maestros del Distrito (DTA) para el año escolar 2019/2020, y recibirá una actualización de la estrategia de la ciudad de Mountain View/Escuela. El paquete con agenda de la junta se pueden ver aquí.

MVLA Logo.png

MVLA Foundation

Did you know your donations fund Innovative Learning Grants?

The MVLA Foundation Innovative Learning Grants create opportunities for teachers to teach outside the box and for students to increase their depth of knowledge. Watch this short video to learn more or visit our website MVLAfoundation.org to see a description of the grants approved for this school year.

Congratulations to the 2019-20 MVHS grant recipients:

Brendan Dilloughery, Kristine Bautista, Shawn Rosales, Wei Lu, Judie Lee, Anna Linde, Ann Nguyen, Bill Dunbar, Jyoti Reid, Pablo Alvarez, Ly Nguyen, Lydia Conoway, Nicole Higley, Rachael Roach, Kate Strasser, Marcey Winawer, Carson Rietveld, Christine Yow, and Leo Florendo at Freestyle Academy of Communication Arts & Technology

MVLAfoundation_logo.png

The MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series presents:

Bonnie Halpern-Felsher

The Vaping Crisis:  What Is It Doing to Our Kids?
Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019 - 7:00 - 9:00pm | LAHS Eagle Theatre | 201 Almond Ave., Los Altos, CA

Join us as Dr. Bonnie Halpern-Felsher, Professor of Pediatrics at Stanford University, discusses the harmful impacts vaping has on the minds and bodies of adolescents.

Dr. Halpern-Felsher will provide an overview of current tobacco/nicotine products, including vapes, Juuls and other pod-based systems, which are more commonly used among teens than combustible cigarettes.  Drawing upon on-going research, Dr. Halpern-Felsher will address why adolescents are drawn to using these products, dispel common misperceptions held by both adults and teens, and share effective, evidence-based strategies that parents, caregivers, and teachers, can leverage to help prevent and reduce the use of these addictive products.

The talk will be followed by a panel of local administrators and a mental health professional.
  To register for this free event, go to https://mvla2019-20-bonniehalpern-felsher.eventbrite.com

Sponsored by Los Altos Educational Foundation (LAEF), MVLA High School Foundation, Mountain View Educational Foundation (MVEF), and Los Altos-Mountain View PTA Council.

Parent Speaker Series logo.png

MVHS Fall Play - The Servant of Two Masters

The Servant of Two Masters is a hilarious adaptation of the classic Italian commedia dell'arte comedy by Carlo Goldoni, adapted by Oded Gross and Tracy Young. A troupe of actors is trying to put on a production of The Servant of Two Masters, but they face challenges with budget cuts and lack of resources. The director has been fired, so one of the actors takes it upon himself to lead the troupe and make sure the show goes on. The story concerns the terrible complications wrought by the servant Traffaldino when he gets himself jobs with two different people at the same time. Not all the complications are of his making; one of his 'masters' is in fact a lady in disguise, and the other master is her lover, but Truffaldino doesn't know this. Mishaps and mayhem ensue as Truffaldino gets himself deeper and deeper in trouble.

Tickets are $10 for students and seniors, $15 for adults. Tickets can be purchased online at www.theatremvhs.com, through a cast member, or at lunch in the quad during the week of the show. Come watch this hilariously entertaining production and support the amazing MVHS Theatre students!

MVHS Logo.jpg

PE Post- Fall Semester

Happy Mid Semester!  We have now just completed our 1st quarter and first units.  Classes are in full swing and kids are more active than ever.  Here is what is going on in all our classes/electives:

Physical Education 9

Our new groups of freshmen are absolutely outstanding group of young adults.  They are fun, energetic, have senses of humor and we have started Quarter 1 off on a fabulous foot.  Here is a summary of what we have done:

·         Fitness Test Pre-Tests: Mile run, Pacer run, Push Ups, Sit Ups, Body composition and flexibility

·         Badminton - introduced Biomechanics (Force, Levers, Rotation, Speed), practiced the different skills taught/used (Overhead clear/Underhand clear, Drop Shot, Smash, Short and Long serving) as well as how to score, strategize, utilize sportsmanship, correct rules, boundaries and Round Robin Tournament play

·         Table Tennis/Pickle ball - eye hand coordination, top spin/back spin, control of force from small court to a larger court with similar size changes in the balls/paddles.  Students also were able to practice good sportsmanship during round robin and tournament play.

Total Fitness (10-12)

Our second year in this elective as proven to be a popular one.  We expanded our sections from 2 classes to 3 and students are super excited to be a part of the course.  Activities/Units that have/continuing to be introduced/taught:

·         Power Walking - Community Walks

·         Map My Walk App- Design Competitions

·         Cardio Units Apps: Couch Potato to 5k

·         Swimming - Learned all 4 strokes: Freestyle, Backstroke, Breast Stroke, Butterfly.  The students also participated in Timed Lap Swimming (5min - 20 min swims).  Fun Fridays and fitness activities using Noodles/Water Polo/Fun Relay Races were had as well.

·         Mindfulness - Journals/Relaxation activities are done once a week as well as Goal Setting for 1 year, 5 years, and 10 years from now.

·         Nutrition - Current State of School Lunches, Sugars (Natural vs. Refined) and we also evaluated our individual Body Measurements and continue to monitor our individual Fitness by Tracking our progress in our own personal journals.

Team Sports, Weight Training (Adv/Inter)

·         Classes are plugging along in regards to our students’ skill and knowledge based performance.

·         Students are being assessed in form, skills, fitness, safety and tournament play.

MVHS Logo.jpg

From the College and Career Center

Scholarships

Scholarship opportunities are posted at www.mvhsccc.net. Students should also check the colleges they are applying to for any separate scholarship applications.

College Application Assistance

Seniors, this is a reminder that the college and career center is hosting college application workshops on Tuesdays and Thursdays during lunch. Snacks will be provided!

CSU and UC Applications

Remember that the deadline to submit your CSU and UC application is November 30th, 2019. Don't wait until the last minute! We encourage that students finish their applications before the Thanksgiving break so that they can reach out to counseling or CCC staff for support!

FAFSA, Dream Act, and CSS Profile

The FAFSA and Dream Act application deadline for the UC's and CSU's is March 2nd. Private schools and out of state schools will have various deadlines for the FAFSA, Dream Act, and the CSS Profile (for participating private universities) depending on when a student's application deadline is. (Early Action, Early Decision, Regular Decision) Student's should check their school's website to review all deadlines!

Sending Official SAT and ACT Scores

Seniors, make sure you send your test scores to the universities you are applying to. Schools expect to receive official test scores from the testing agency. You will need to send your SAT scores from CollegeBoard.org and your ACT scores from ACT.org.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

Spartan Turkey Trot Registration is Open!

Thanksgiving Day at 8:30 am

Our community event, a 5k run/walk, Spartan Mile, and 60-yard/400-yard kid races has become a holiday tradition for all ages.  This year is the 10th anniversary run!  It takes places locally at our very own MVHS track.  Bring the whole family and be home in plenty of time to put the turkey in the oven! 100% of the proceeds benefit MVHS athletics.

Register at www.spartanturkeytrot.com

MVHS Sports Boosters Logo (1).jpg

2020 Grad Night

Attention Class of 2020 -

Grad Night registration has begun! You should have received your 2020 GRAD NIGHT packet in the mail. It contained a registration form with your student’s name on it and frequently asked questions about the night. MVHS’s Grad Night has been a long-standing tradition and a highlight of the year. Grad Night is a safe, alcohol-, tobacco, and drug-free environment supported by the PTSA. It’s a fun-filled evening with all night food, beverages, activities, music and more!

We are excited to announce that this year’s grad night experience is unlike any other. Be sure to sign up early (BY TUESDAY, NOV 26) to take advantage of the discounted price. If you are interested in a scholarship, please indicate it on the form.

To skip the paper, you can register ONLINE at https://gradnight2020mvhs.eventbrite.com (Note: there is a small credit card fee). Be sure to remind others to sign up early as well!

ATTENTION 9th - 11th Grade Parents: Consider volunteering on graduation night (Friday, June 5). We are looking for adults to help with parking, check-in and loading buses. Email us at gradnight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if interested.

Here’s to an amazing senior year! - The Grad Team

PTSA Logo.jpg

Spartans PAUSE UPDATE

Spartans PAUSE is a MVHS PTSA sponsored program that helps students feel more connected and supported!

The Spartans PAUSE Team, students and parent volunteers hosted another amazing monthly PAUSE Day on October 10th. Students were greeted with morning snacks before first period at three entrances to campus. At lunch, students enjoyed music in the quad, played corn hole, spike ball and enjoyed a visit from Furry Friends therapy dogs and refreshing themselves with citrus infused water.

The next PAUSE event on Thursday, November 21st will include morning snacks handed out by our MVHS student ambassadors and at lunch, chair massage and a visit from Animal Assisted Happiness who’s mission is to enrich the lives of youth through barnyard animal interactions.

To help with any of these activities on November 21st or in the future, sign up on the volunteer sheet, visit the Spartans PAUSE page on the MVHS Website or contact our PAUSE leads at spartanspause@xxxxxxxxx

Spartans Pause 2020.png

A La Carte- Free Food Truck Service

Since last year, MVLA High School District has partnered up with “A La Carte” a Joint Venture with Silicon Valley to provide fresh and delicious surplus food from Stanford University and local tech corporate campuses to needing students and families. Participants can select meals free of charge.

To alleviate any barriers, no registration is required, no personal information is gathered. If your family could use a few extra prepared meals, you are encouraged to visit the truck every Thursday from 2:30-3:45 that will be stationed outside the District Office building. Please bring a bag to make it easier to carry home your meals, as the food truck will only provide tin containers.

Desde el año pasado, el Distrito de Escuela Secundaria MVLA se ha asociado con "A La Carte", una empresa conjunta con Silicon Valley para proporcionar alimentos excedentes frescos y deliciosos de la Universidad de Stanford y los campus corporativos tecnológicos locales para estudiantes y familias que lo necesitan. Los participantes pueden seleccionar comidas sin cargo.

Para aliviar cualquier barrera, no es necesario registrarse y no se recopila información personal. Si su familia pudiera hacer útil algunas comidas preparadas adicionales, le recomendamos que visite el camión móvil todos los jueves de 2:30-3:45 que estará estacionado afuera del edificio de la Oficina del Distrito. Traiga una bolsa para que le resulte más fácil llevar sus comidas a casa, ya que el camión de comida solo proporcionará contenedores de aluminio.

MVLA Logo.png

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. daily. Parent/Community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7:30 de la mañana hasta las 4:00 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find Volunteer Tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center'.  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact Ms. Rafati for the latest information on volunteer tutors available. If you would like a free copy of the most current version of the Private Tutor Directory, please contact Nancy Rafati (940-4624) or nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Volunteer Tutors are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request. If your students have any requests or would like additional information about our volunteer program, please contact Nancy Rafati, Coordinator, at 940-4624, or email her at nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information: https://www.mvla.net/Page/300

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.