Message Archive for mvhs-ptsa

Parent Ed - Peggy Orenstein - Live online with Zoom - 3/24

Sent: Fri Mar 20, 2020 • 5:51 PM PDT
From: Suzy Heltzel
  • To: mvhs-ptsa (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Subject: Parent Ed - Peggy Orenstein - Live online with Zoom - 3/24
  • From: Suzy Heltzel <suzyzh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 17:49:24 -0700
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=MXtAUpPdEHltdIL8nGQ+PAXl9733yKKCHv9cIkhjYTs=; b=P3XqFpIQsJEvDMnmyGSenMiMU+ScI0MmNiKNAfH6wKs+xmOd3vTO99v3MWS0E5cqsv 7yI5YTb+mdt9qiOdO+KdTXBa7DtcApXXMPok9E94R/H9jSuy6kloVWgbjLR3M+nkEzZO xMujv1lQZ9BO08RmqpD5x+z+lhfb/zbCFALQx6Nv2xktuGxDP4h3adisFBy55MUUmL4F F4m91rYIPJFbK3x79m8OzkiBb47R8wwG5uVY18ZlqIY8Q6V9Rgfbft8Dvcy5Jj9rH205 BBSMGjFLwpNzTHJQpNh8DO82VJ+15MDqTWvgxnDM1VzTUp9kq2RLDKV/VDoUFd5eh44k cFwg==
  • Sender: <mvhs-ptsa (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Parent Ed - Peggy Orenstein - Live online with Zoom - 3/24
******************************

The MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series is trying something new!

Join us live online with Peggy Orenstein - Tuesday, March 24th at 7:00 PM via Zoom

Boys and Sex:  Navigating Sex and Masculinity in Today’s Hook-up Culture
Tuesday, Mar. 24, 2020 - 7:00 pm |Live online via Zoom

We hope that you and your families are staying healthy, safe, and relatively stress-free during these challenging days!  As we reset our priorities, schedules, and focus, we hope that you will take time to join us online with Peggy Orenstein as she dives back into the lives of young people to once again give voice to the unspoken, revealing how young men understand and negotiate the new rules of physical and emotional intimacy.

Register for this free event on Eventbrite
 https://mvla2019-20-peggyorenstein-online.eventbrite.com

We will email the Zoom link to you on Tuesday before the event.

Meanwhile, if you are unfamiliar with Zoom,
before joining a Zoom meeting on a computer or mobile device, you can download the Zoom app from our Download Center. Otherwise, you will be prompted to download and install Zoom when you click a join link.  You can also join a test meeting to familiarize yourself with Zoom.

Book Purchases
If you are interested in purchasing the book, Boys & Sex, we encourage you to support Books, Inc., in Palo Alto, who was to scheduled to provide books for our in-person event.  Online orders will ship for free.  Purchase Boys & Sex here.

Please read on for a more detailed event description

Drawing on comprehensive interviews with young men, psychologists, academics, and experts in the field, Boys & Sex dissects so-called locker room talk; how the word “hilarious” robs boys of empathy; pornography as the new sex education; boys’ understanding of hookup culture and consent; and their experience as both victims and perpetrators of sexual violence. By surfacing young men’s experience in all its complexity, Orenstein is able to unravel the hidden truths, hard lessons, and important realities of young male sexuality in today’s world. The result is a provocative and paradigm-shifting work that offers a much-needed vision of how boys can truly move forward as better men.

Audience:  Parents and educators of students grades 4 - 12.

Sponsored by Los Altos Educational Foundation (LAEF), MVLA High School Foundation, Mountain View Educational Foundation (MVEF), and Los Altos-Mountain View PTA Council.