Message Archive for marching-band

[INST] Remote Learning and Instrumental Music

Sent: Sun Mar 22, 2020 • 7:27 PM PDT
From: Kneebone, Jason

[INST] Remote Learning and Instrumental Music
tl;dr - Take Survey, enroll in Google Classroom (codes at bottom), check-in every day

Music Families,

The temporary suspension of all MVLA classes has the Performing Arts team brainstorming these past few weeks about how best to keep our students engaged. We've appreciated the feedback and suggestions from in-class discussions and have come to the following conclusions:
  • Communication is Key - Google Classroom Enrollment - As directed by MVLA, this will be our primary method of communication over the next several weeks to our individual classes. Please make checking your music classes part of your daily routine. Check-in posts will happen daily (Monday-Thursday). A list of each Classroom Code can be found at the bottom of this email.
  • Accountability is Necessary - Monitor Aeries - At each Director's discretion, supplemental assignments and assessments will be posted on GClassroom & Aeries as we temporarily shift away from the Performance side of music to some of the Practical components of music. We understand that this substantial change to student learning has the potential to increase anxiety and stress and we are prepared to limit the amount of work required for our music students. In return, we ask that you take time for your own mental health and well-being.
  • Audition Alternatives - Stay Tuned (literally) - We will be postponing auditions for both incoming and current MVHS students until further notice. If the closure is extended, we will update everyone with a Plan B.
While ensemble playing is very difficult to do remotely, we want to make sure everyone still has access to instruments. Students, if you haven't yet, please take a moment and fill out THIS SURVEY which will allow us to plan better.
  • If you have an instrument at home, please give it a thorough cleaning. There are many good resources available online for each instrument.
  • If your instrument is still at school, we are waiting on direction from Administration before moving forward with distribution or pick-up. This applies to percussionists as well. Data from the Survey will drive those decisions, so make sure you fill it out accurately.
  • If you share an instrument, we will coordinate with both parties and set up a take-home -or- rental plan for everyone.
In order to limit the amount of email correspondence that everyone is receiving, we will be throttling our eList communication and reserve that outlet for broad announcements or updates. Please understand that we are working hard to ease this transition and ask for your patience, especially if replies to your questions end up coming later than usual.

We hope that these next few weeks provide time for some much-needed rest, recharge, and reflection. We look forward to getting back into our normal routine and rounding out this semester in the best way possible.

Stay Awesome,
-Jason Kneebone & Anna Linde

Google Classroom Codes
0 - Jazz Band - kzlktov