Message Archive for club-gwc

Recap: Guest Speaker

Sent: Thu Jan 30, 2020 • 1:03 PM PST
From: Pare, Claire Marie
  • To: club-gwc (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Subject: Recap: Guest Speaker
  • From: "Pare, Claire Marie" <100019874 (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 13:03:04 -0800

Recap: Guest Speaker
Hey everyone,

We had an amazing guest speaker, Tracy, come in on Wednesday! Here are a couple of takeaways from the talk.

  1. You don’t always need to know what you want to be in the future right away!

  2. Life is not climbing a simple social ladder --> more like a jungle gym.

  3. Consider Engineering! With an engineering degree, you don't have to become too specified in a field right away, as you would with medical/law fields.

  4. Find a mentor that believes in you, inspire you, and shows you opportunities you never had before

  5. Why do we need representation in tech?

    1. The Gender gap is getting worse!

    2. Not having an important part of the community represented can result in a faulty product

    3. AI, Aint I A Woman? An example of faulty AI that doesn't detect women or race correctly because of the lack of representation. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxuyfWoVV98

  6. Gender diverse teams = more productive and innovative

  7. Even though working with people with different perspectives will be hard, the end product is worth it!

  8. Fall in love with the problem, not the solution. It helps you constantly adapt to failures and mistakes.

  9. Don't be discouraged from entering the tech world because of your technical abilities! Tech is constantly changing, and those who are always willing to learn will succeed the most.

Finally, we all received copies of Reshma Saujani's books! If you would like some but haven't gotten any, please let me know.

Thanks!

Claire Paré