[INST] Last Week Brought To You By...

Sent: Mon Sep 9, 2019 • 9:53 AM PDT
From: Kneebone, Jason

[INST] Last Week Brought To You By...
TEAMWORK!
tl;dr: Everyone is awesome and we're doing a lot of special things here!

CAUTION: Large bricks of text ahead...

Music Families,

Happy Monday! There is so much GOOD to celebrate from last week, a quick note barely scratches the surface... Especially one in a bulleted list:
  • We rolled out our new and improved generation of Spartan Sound on Wednesday afternoon in record time - the original plan was to have the game at Foothill and, since it wasn't a league game, forego the Pep Band's participation. We got word that it had moved to MVHS a week prior and decided to use it as a trial game to work the bugs out of our new system. This meant a lot of people had to mobilize, and fast! Within days, we received a huge shipment of flip folders and lyres, had nine charts copied, cut, and stuffed, and dove right into our first rehearsal on time. Big THANKS to Music Council's Pep Band Committee, Tyler Doan and Gem Gutierrez for assembling their team of volunteers to help make things run smoothly. We have more big plans for Spartan Sound, so stay tuned!
  • Only a few hours after our Pep Band rehearsal, we were pleased to see many new parents in the audience at our Orchestra "Informance" on Wednesday evening. This provided your Directors an opportunity to share our daily routine and give a sneak peek of what to look forward to at our October concert! We hope our new parents were able to walk away from that performance with some easy tips & tricks to support their musicians at home.
  • The topic of sports doesn't often grace the Instrumental Music eLists, but Friday night's game deserves a shout-out. Last year, we started working more closely with the Athletic Boosters, our two ASB advisers, site administrators, and the PTSA to discuss the topic of School Spirit at MVHS. We realized that since the Band is one of the largest single entities on campus, it was our responsibility to be a big player in this new vision. If you were at the game on Friday, you know that we're already starting to change the atmosphere here - the vibe was absolutely electric - we had sports, music, cheer, sixth-man, and three parent organizations all working in tandem. The football team won on the field that night, but our entire community were winners, especially being able to witness the genesis of a new era at Mountain View High!
  • Starting concurrently with the football game, our ridiculously generous and talented MVMB Parent Volunteer Crew (lead by the illustrious Marilyn Stanley) were busy at work in Packard Hall getting our members fit for their uniforms. Over two days, they succeeded in outfitting 99.1% of our marching band students. Amazing work! (And there's still more to do, keep an eye on your inbox!)
While this is all great, it's behind us now so where do we go from here? We've got a lot of momentum so we're excited to find out! To paraphrase Democratic Senator Cory Booker from the CNN Climate Crisis Town Hall, "[We're] going to ask more from you than any other [music teachers] in your lifetime. What [we're] going to ask you to do is be involved in a larger movement for [awesomeness on] this [campus]." Our students are putting in plenty of time and energy already. Here are some additional ways that parents can become involved from low- to high-intensity:
  • Intensity Level: 1 - Come to our performances! These range from our Concerts in the theater to Football games to Marching Band Competitions - these are great, fun ways to see our amazing performers share their talents! (And you're guaranteed to meet some really awesome people)
  • Intensity Level: 2 - Volunteer! Not only will you experience the aforementioned performances, you can get an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at how our department operates - this includes opportunities like running the box office, bringing treats to a post-concert reception, hemming Marching Band uniforms, and even chaperoning trips. (And you're guaranteed to meet some really awesome people)
  • Intensity Level: 3 - Join an Organization! Everyone with a current student in band or orchestra is already a member of our Instrumental Music Boosters, but there are plenty of great teams on campus that share the vision of community awareness. We have the best parents who can tackle any challenge with innovative ideas and sheer people-power. If you have the extra energy, there are a lot of worthy causes that could benefit from it. (And you're guaranteed to meet some really awesome people)
If you've made it this far, it's likely Tuesday already... Thanks for reading - don't hesitate to reach out if you need some suggestions on how to become more involved.

All the Best!
-J

P.S. The 100% best part of Friday's game was the cleanliness of the bleachers that Spartan Sound populated. Not only did it allow our rockstar custodial crew to go home 5 minutes earlier, it really shows class. Well done!