Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri May 17, 2019 • 5:25 PM PDT
From: Grissom, David
  • To: David Grissom <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 17:24:06 -0700
  • Bcc: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Grissom's Gazette

GG_hdr_v1.png

Friday, May 17, 2019

May 13-24

Annual Student Art Show (spARTans), Library

Saturday, May 18

Prom, Winchester Mystery House, 8pm

Monday, May 20

Schedule G ~ End of Year Rally

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Wednesday, May 22

Yearbook Social & Distribution, Quad, 2:30pm-4pm

Monday, May 27

Memorial Day, NO SCHOOL

Wednesday, May 29

Senior Awards, Theatre, 7pm

Friday, May 31

Drama Llamas, Theatre, 7pm

Monday, June 3

Senior Finals

Tuesday, June 4

Senior Finals

Wednesday, June 5

Finals 2, 6, 7 (Grades 9-11)

Senior Checkout

Thursday, June 6

Finals 0,1, 5 (Grades 9-11)

Senior Picnic

Friday, June 7

Finals 3, 4 (Grades 9-11)

Graduation, 6:30 pm

 Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2018-2019!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

Parents/Guardians,

The Mountain View Police Department has recently asked us to remind our students about practicing proper and safe driving habits at all times, but especially as they are coming to and from school.  We have had an increase in driving issues at these times in particular and any help in instilling this message from our parents to our students in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Just a reminder that Prom is tomorrow at the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose. I want to remind parents that there are NO SCHOOL sanction/approved activities after Prom.   Prom ends at 11:00 pm.  Many of our students will want to continue to celebrate and hang out together and I encourage you to set limits and check-out where your student is going.  Students may be telling you “that everyone else is going” but know that this is not true. Lots of parents require that their students be home at a reasonable time.

Thank you for all of your continued support and have a wonderful weekend.

Dave Grissom

MVHS Logo.jpg

MVLA Board of Trustees

The MVLA Board of Trustees will hold a regular board meeting on Monday, May 20 at 7 p.m. in the District Office Board Room located at 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View. The Board of Trustees will continue their discussion of amendments to the Stadium Lights policies. There will be introductory discussion of the District's Budget Planning for 2019-2020 and the Local Control Accountability Plan.  The Board will Spotlight Los Altos students Jessica Aaron the winner of the 2018-2019 Richard D. King Speech Contest by the Los Altos Rotary Club and Alexander Guh- Siesel who is the recipient of the first place award for the 2019 California Science and Engineering Fair.

MVLA Logo.png

Invitation: Ice Cream Social

You are invited to get the scoop on Dr. Harding’s retirement!

The MVLA Board of Trustees invite all teachers, staff, parents and community members to an Ice Cream Social on Tuesday, May 28, from 4 - 5:30 p.m., in the MVHS Cafeteria. Please drop in and say a “farewell” to Dr. Harding prior to his retirement at the end of the school year.

Questions? Email: fiona.walter (at) MVLA

MVLA Logo.png

MVLA Communications Director, Cynthia Greaves

Greetings Neighbors:

We are just a few weeks from the end of school so we want to share a few dates and an announcement with you.

New Way to Communicate with Us

We have added an online comment form so you can ask questions and make comments about our campuses and student activities. The form asks for your email address and specifics about your concern, like place and time of an incident. All comments go directly to the district communications manager for response and the feedback is tracked in a database, which will help us identify and respond to issues, and be a good neighbor to you.

Key Dates

The end of the school year is always very busy with many ceremonies, competitions, concerts and more. You can see the packed schedules online:

Los Altos High calendar

Mountain View High calendar

The last day of school is Friday, June 7. Commencements will be held in the stadiums at both Los Altos and Mountain View high schools. You should expect increased traffic and high demand for parking beginning 5:30 - 6 p.m. The public address systems will be used to announce the names of the graduates and some music will be played. Ceremonies should be complete and families on their way home by 8:30 p.m. There will be several tour buses on area streets waiting to take students to their offsite graduation party; they return at dawn on Saturday.

Construction at MVHS and LAHS

Construction of new school facilities was delayed due to the winter’s heavy rains but is now underway and will continue for several years at both Los Altos and Mountain View high schools.

Permitted working hours are:

LAHS

·         Weekdays: 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.

·         Weekends: Saturday, 9 a.m. -6 p.m.; Sunday, none

MVHS

·         Weekdays: 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.

·         Weekends: Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m -5 p.m., with approval from the City of Mountain View

If you have a concern about construction activities on one of our campuses, our construction contractor has two dedicated disturbance coordinators:

·         Los Altos High School: Roy Atkins 408-828-2909

·         Mountain View High School: Ken Judd 925-628-0186

For construction or any other issues, you can also email the MVLA District at community (at) MVLA and you will get a response from a district staff person.

Thank you and enjoy your summer. We’ll be back in touch and on campuses in August.

Kindly,

Cynthia Greaves

MVLA Communications Manager

MVLA Logo.png

MVLA Foundation

MVLA Special Grant

Thank you to everyone who made a contribution to our Stand UP for Public Schools fundraiser. We raised $20,459 plus a $20,000 matching grant. That is $40,459 for technology in the Arts, Humanities and Science next year.

Thank You!

MVLA Tribute Gift for that Special Teacher

Honor that MVLA faculty or staff member who has made a difference in your high school years!

Consider a Tribute Gift for that special person who:

·         Let you spend lunchtime in their classroom

·         Wrote your college recommendation letters

·         Cared when you missed their class

·         Asked how your day is going

·         Supported your extracurricular activities

Make your $100 Tribute Gift by June 30, 2019, and you and the designated honoree will be listed in the MVLA High School Foundation's Annual Report. In addition, we will notify the honoree with a special note and certificate.

Click here to make a Tribute Gift

MVLAfoundation_logo.png

MVLA Scholars

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!

SEEKING COLLEGE PREP MENTORS FOR THE 2019-20 SCHOOL YEAR

  • Are you looking for a way to give back to your community?
  • Would you like to help a student realize their college dreams?
  • Do you want to provide support to a student who may be the first in their family to attend college?

If the answer to these questions is YES, please join our dedicated team of College Prep Mentors!  MVLA Scholars is now recruiting for our College Prep Mentoring Program that pairs MVHS Junior and Seniors in the AVID Class with caring community members who help students understand and explore the college application process.

Junior Class Mentors will guide students through interactive lessons designed to help:

·         Explore potential college majors and career paths

·         Identify good fit colleges and build a college list

·         Start the essay writing process

·         Understand the basics of financial literacy

Senior Mentors work closely with students to:

·         Complete college applications

·         Complete the FAFSA financial aid application

·         Write and revise essays for college and scholarship applications

·         Identify and apply for scholarships

·         Evaluate college options and award packages

Program Details:

·         Junior Class times will be on Mondays, from  8:10 - 9:00 and 9:05 - 9:55.
Mentors can choose the class time that works for them or volunteer for both classes!

·         Senior Class will be on Thursdays from 8:10am-9:45am

·         Training session will be held in late August, date TBD

·         Mentors will meet once a week in class and are asked to make a commitment for the entire school year

·         College counseling experience is not necessary

If you are interested in becoming a mentor or would just like to learn more about the program, please contact Sarah Chang at schang892@xxxxxxxxx.

For more information on MVLA Scholars go to:  www.mvlascholars.org

National Honor Society Applications for 2019-2020 School Year

Attention juniors, sophomores, and freshmen:

The 2019-20 deadline for National Honor Society applications is June 30, 2019. We are giving you more time for applications, this year. All applications need to be submitted electronically by 12:45 p.m. of that day. Letters of recommendation will only be submitted electronically. All recommenders should contact Mr. Campbell directly for access to the recommendation form online. You must have 1 faculty recommendation at a minimum - ask your teachers before school gets out.

Applications for the school year 2019 - 2020 can be found at this link:
https://forms.gle/1Cb1sTjcDkbac8DU9. Applicants must use their student email accounts (1000#####@mvla.net) in the application. All club communications are done using the mvla.net email addresses, not personal email accounts.

Applications will be reviewed over the summer, and new members will be welcomed to the first NHS meeting in September. Acceptance to the club will be emailed to the
mvla.net email addresses in August, 2019.

Please know that NHS meets during the first Thursday of each month, and meetings are mandatory components of membership. If you have another club that meets at the same time, you will need to either quit that club, or request that they change their meeting dates. You are allowed two absences from NHS meetings, after which you are given a warning. If you have additional absences, you are then invited to remove yourself from the organization.

Any questions should be directed to Mr. Campbell
david.campbell (at) MVLA, the club advisor.

Parents: this is an honor organization. If you have questions, encourage your child to reach out to Mr. Campbell and ask them for you either via email, or in person in room 612.

National Honor Society.png

Senior Checkout

Greetings Class of 2019!

Senior Check out is quickly approaching: Wednesday, June 5th!

Please read the process over thoroughly, so that you can ensure a timely check out process, and expedite picking up your caps & gowns for graduation at Senior Check-Out on Wednesday, June 5th!  We will be using a Senior Check-out app. In order for seniors to participate in graduation the following steps must be completed:

Before 9:45 am on WednesdayJune 5th:

1.      You must fulfill all checkout requirements from the departments listed below to receive your cap and gown

a.    Career Center (Update College list, Indicate Final College Decision, and Senior Survey on

       Naviance)

b.     Finance Office (Pay for outstanding fines)

c.      Library (Overdue books & Copy or Printing Costs for Library and Tutorial Center)

d.     TBC (Calculators, Chromebooks, chargers and your books)

e.      Long Form for grade verification (Given by Counselor, if applicable)

f.       Final Transcript Request Form (if applicable)

·         PRINT and/or SAVE email confirmation for check out day on Wednesday, June 5.

Seniors it is highly advised that you familiarize yourself with the check-out process as soon as possible to ensure that you are ahead of the game!

·         Via Senior Check-out App, emails will be generated on a bi-weekly basis to your MVLA school account indicating whether you have completed the check-out process or which departments you still need to complete the check-out process for.

·

On, but not before 9:45 am on WednesdayJune 5:

1.      Report and line up in alpha order to the front of the Theater to check-in with MVHS Staff to confirm you have completed the check-out process. –This can be verified by bringing in your email confirmation stating you are checked out.

2.

3.      You will receive a ticket to claim your cap & gown, if you have successfully checked out.

4.      If you haven’t fulfilled all check-out requirements, it is then your responsibility to report to each of the departments indicated in your email to check-out.

5.      Upon successfully completing checkout, return to the front of the theater to pick up a ticket to claim your cap & gown!

Any students who have not checked out by Wednesday will have to do so before boarding the bus for the senior picnic.

Remember, you must have your cap and gown to walk in graduation.

Don't forget to check out the MVHS Senior Events webpage to view all pertinent graduation and year-end events, click here!

Thank You,

MVHS Administration

MVHS Logo.jpg

From the College and Career Center

Senior Check-Out Requirements

Seniors, as part of senior check-out, you must indicate which college you're attending in the fall, update your college list, and complete the Naviance 2019 survey. Check your email for more details.

Three NEW Scholarship Opportunities

Name: Club Estrella Scholarship

Amount: $1,000

How to Apply: Go to MVHSCCC.NET for the application

Deadline: May 31, 2019

Eligibility: Must graduate from high school in Santa Clara county, must be Mexican American, Chicano, Mexican, or Latino ancestry, and you must have a minimum of a 2.5 GPA.

Need Based.

Name: The Mountain View Professional Firefighters Local 1965 scholarship

Amount: 4 scholarships for $1,000 each

Website to Apply: Go to MVHSCCC.NET for the application

Deadline: June 1, 2019

Eligibility: High school senior who is a resident of Mountain View. The student must plan on attending an accredited 2- or 4-year college or vocational program as a full-time student (12 units or more). You must have a minimum of a 2.5 GPA. Based on scholastic abilities, community service involvement, and neatness of application. Unofficial transcript is fine.

Merit and need based.

Community College Assistance

Seniors, did you miss the Foothill or De Anza workshops? If so, feel free to come by the college and career center. We can help you apply and answer your questions or concerns about community college.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

 2019 Grad Night

Grad Night 2019 takes place immediately following graduation. It's an ALL NIGHT party for the class of 2019 to celebrate in a safe, alcohol-, tobacco-, and drug-free environment. There will be lots of food, activities, professional entertainment, and of course, a DJ.

Current Admission Price is $225. Need a Scholarship? Admission & Scholarship Forms are enclosed. Contact gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

Lamar Haggart & Margaret Abe-Koga, grad night co-chairs

Reserved Parking for MVHS June 7 Graduation Ceremony available now!

Graduation is fast approaching and now is the time to secure your parking space. If you'd like to reserve a space for yourself or relatives who will be in town, please use the link below.  The spaces are $45 each and proceeds benefit scholarships for Grad Night. Parking will be in the church parking lot at the corner of Oak and Truman, just across the street from the MVHS field and the graduation ceremony.

You can pay by credit card or check using the link below. There are just 120 spots, so act now before they’re all gone!

https://mvhs2019parking.eventbrite.com

The Senior Class needs YOU!

Immediately following the graduation ceremony on June 7, the graduates will attend an all-night party to celebrate their achievements. The location is top secret! We need parents of non-seniors to help while the grads and their families are busy with graduation. We need parents to help with venue set-up, parking, lanyard distribution, bus loading or as an overnight chaperone. We are also looking for chaperones who have first aid training or love taking pictures.

If you are available, please sign up on our volunteer sheet (https://goo.gl/96M92q) and be sure to include your name, email & phone. Questions? Send an email to gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

2019 Noche de Graduación

¡Registrate hoy! Aumentos de precios el 1 de abril … becas disponibles!

Noche de Graduación 2019 es inmediatamente después de la graduación. Es una fiesta que dura toda la noche para los graduados de la clase de 2019 para celebrar en en un ambiente sano y seguro, sin alcohol, ni tabaco y libre de drogas. Habrá bastante comida, actividades, entretenimiento profesional y por supuesto, un DJ.

La admisión de entrada es $200. El 1 de abril, el precio aumenta a $225. ¿Necesita una beca? Adjunto están las formas de Admisión y Becas.

Puede obtener mas informacion contacte: gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

Lamar Haggart & Margaret Abe-Koga, grad night co-chairs

La clase superior te necesita!

Inmediatamente después de la ceremonia de graduación del 7 de junio, los graduados asistirán a una fiesta que durará toda la noche para celebrar sus logros. La ubicación es de alto secreto! Necesitamos padres de personas no mayores que ayuden mientras los graduados y sus familias están ocupados con la graduación. Necesitamos que los padres nos ayuden con la configuración del lugar, el estacionamiento, la distribución del cordón, la carga del autobús o como acompañante nocturno. También estamos buscando chaperones que tengan entrenamiento de primeros auxilios o les encanta tomar fotografías.

Si está disponible, regístrese en nuestra hoja de voluntarios (https://goo.gl/96M92q) y asegúrese de incluir su nombre, correo electrónico y teléfono. Preguntas? Envíe un correo electrónico a gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

PTSA Logo.jpg

Spartans Sports Camp

Registration for Summer 2019 is off to a great start! Camp will run June 10 - August 2 this summer.  This will be our 8th summer providing a wide variety of camps to the community while raising funds for the Mtn. View HS Athletic Department. Last year, with your support, we raised $60,000. Thank you!

What's new for SUMMER 2019?

  • Wrestling Camp will be held June 24-28 for boys and girls entering grades 3-8. This camp will cater to kids who just want to try the sport out, as well as experienced wrestlers. We are excited to showcase the MVHS Wrestling Program - now in its 2nd season after a 30-year hiatus.
  • Junior Counselor Program will be offered 8 weeks this summer for boys and girls entering grades 8-9. We have received many requests for this program and we are excited to offer it this summer. This is a great opportunity for Junior Counselors to gain leadership experience.
  • We have upgraded our registration system to a more user-friendly platform.

As always we are proud to offer the following at Spartans Sports Camp:

  • Highly trained staff that includes current and former MVHS student-athletes and experienced MVHS coaches.
  • Swimming offered daily on-site!
  • Flexible registration options including pro-rating days, adding lunches last-minute, etc.
  • Campers receive a water bottle, t-shirt, and drawstring backpack.
  • 100% of the camp proceeds goes to support athletics at Mountain View High School. Your camp dollar goes directly back to the community!  Spartans Sports Camp directly supports the MVHS Athletic Department as we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Since 2012, we have raised over $300,000 for the MVHS Athletic Department.
  • Morning and Afternoon extended care available until 6:30 pm (extra charge)
  • Great selection of camps - there is something for everyone at Spartans Sports Camp!

Please see www.SpartansSportsCamp.com for our full calendar and to register today!

By popular demand, we are now offering a Multi-Session/Sibling Discount:

Save 10% on camp fees only (excludes lunch and extended care) when you register for 2 or more sessions at the same time. See website for terms and conditions.

Spartans Sports Camp.jpg

Children’s Health Council (CHC)

CHC provides the following events and services, most of which have no charge:

· Parent Education at CHC Palo Alto: 30 parent education sessions on Tuesday evenings from September through June at 6:30-8:00pm

· Three Parent Support Groups at CHC Palo Alto: ADHD, Anxiety & Depression, Learning Differences

· Professional Development for Educators: Select Thursdays at CHC Palo Alto, 4:30-6 pm

· Wilson Reading training for Teachers: Hosted by Sand Hill School

· EdRev Expo: Annual conference every spring at AT&T Park in San Francisco

· CHC Resource Library: Online library of screencasts of our Community Education sessions, articles, videos, and podcasts

· Free 30-minute consultation for parents

THIS MONTH'S EVENTS:

Navigating Teen Relationships & Understanding Teen Relationships in the Digital World

Tues., May 21 | 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | CHC Palo Alto | Learn More & Register Free

Building Self-Advocacy Skills in Kids with Autism

Tues., May 28 | 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. | CHC Palo Alto | Learn More & Register Free

CHC.jpg

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7:30 de la mañana hasta las 4:00 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school website at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS home page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center'.  The most current Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the Tutorial Center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available. If you would like a free copy of the most current version of the Private Tutor directory, please contact Nancy Rafati at 940-4624 or nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Volunteer tutors are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View High students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request. If your students have any requests or would like additional information about our volunteer program, please contact Nancy Rafati, Coordinator, at 940-4624, or email her at nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  http://www.mvla.net/ MVHS/Department/27-Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.