Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Apr 26, 2019 • 3:30 PM PDT
From: Grissom, David
  • To: David Grissom <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 15:28:54 -0700
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Friday, April 26, 2019

Dance Spectrum, Foothill College, 7pm

May 6 – May 17

AP Testing

Monday, May 6

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Wednesday, May 8

ELD Awards, Cafeteria, 7pm

May 13-24

Annual Student Art Show (spARTans), Library

Monday, May 13

Opening Art Reception, Library, 5:30pm-7:00pm

Saturday, May 18

Prom, Winchester Mystery House, 8pm

Monday, May 20

Schedule G ~ End of Year Rally

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Wednesday, May 22

Yearbook Social & Distribution, Quad, 2:30pm-4pm

Monday, May 27

Memorial Day, NO SCHOOL

Wednesday, May 29

Senior Awards, Theatre, 7pm

Friday, May 31

Drama Llamas, Theatre, 7pm

Monday, June 3

Senior Finals

Tuesday, June 4

Senior Finals

Wednesday, June 5

Finals 2, 6, 7 (Grades 9-11)

Senior Checkout

Thursday, June 6

Finals 0,1, 5 (Grades 9-11)

Senior Picnic

Friday, June 7

Finals 3, 4 (Grades 9-11)

Graduation, 6:30 pm

 Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2018-2019!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

 Happy Friday!

I would like to thank all of the families for your patience during our annual state testing (SBAC and CAST).  This time of the year can be difficult with multiple changes to our schedules as it causes a disruption in our normal routine.  I would especially like to thank the Juniors on campus which have had the opportunity to test for the last four days.  Your dedication to taking the test earnestly is certainly appreciated by the staff at MVHS.

The end of the SBAC and CAST testing turns our heads toward the next group of assessments, the Advanced Placement tests, which happen from May 6, 2019 to May 17, 2019.  Please work with your students to get plenty of sleep as they head into these exams. This part of the year can be stressful for our students and getting enough sleep can help them to alleviate some of this stress.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Dave Grissom

MVHS Logo.jpg

MVLA Foundation

Do you remember when your elementary student came home and said, "Guess what I did at school today"? High school students may not run home with the same enthusiasm, but they definitely have moments during the day that keep their passion for learning alive.

Who was the special teacher that inspired your student this year? Would you like to honor this special person with a Tribute in the MVLA High School Foundation Annual Report?

Make your one-time Tribute Gift by June 30, 2019, to be included in the foundation's Annual Report:
http://mvlafoundation.org/donate/tribute-gift/

Last Year's Tribute Gift Recipients

MVLAfoundation_logo.png

The Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP)

Each year, districts are tasked with examining the LCAP with all stakeholders, including staff, families, community and the district's bargaining units. The Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) is a three-year plan of how our district addresses the eight State Priorities and how we allocate our state and local funding accordingly. MVLA is in its 3rd year and will be submitting an annual review in June 2019.

We invite all stakeholders to participate in the Districtwide LCAP Advisory Committee. These meetings are open to all stakeholder groups. In this meetings, we will review data, evaluate our existing services and consider modifications for the future. This is a great opportunity to be involved in the decision making process in our district to best serve our students.

To RSVP for the meeting on April 29, 2019, please click HERE. You may also provide feedback through this link.

Thank you for your consideration.

Date & Topic

4/29/19, 4-6 pm @ MVLA District Office

Finalize Annual Review

MVLA Logo.png

The MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series

Please join us for two screenings of LIKE - an IndieFlix Original Film

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 | 6:00pm and 7:30pm | LAHS Eagle Theater |201 Almond Ave., Los Altos, CA

LIKE explores the impact of social media on our lives. Technology is a tool. It’s here to stay and social platforms are a place to connect, share and care, but what’s really happening? Are we addicted? How do we stop? Where do we start? What do we need to know?

By understanding the effects of technology and social media on the brain, on our lives, and on our civilization, we can learn how to navigate it more safely together.  The goal of this film is to inspire people of all ages, especially kids, to self-regulate their use of technology. It’s about looking in the mirror and empowering ourselves to create balance in our lives and to learn to be there for each other.

Released this past fall, LIKE is a follow-up to Angst: Raising Awareness Around Anxiety, an IndieFlix film about teen anxiety, which was screened in January 2019 in partnership with the MVLA Unified High School District, Los Altos School District, and Mountain View Whisman School District.

Angst shines a spotlight on the alarming rise in teen anxiety and associative mental health issues for the very treatable condition that impacts 54 percent of females and 46 percent of males, with age seven being the median age of onset.

Following each screening, CHAC therapists will be available to share resources and to answer individual and small group questions.

Register for this free event at  https://mvla2018-19-like.eventbrite.com

Spanish translation will be available.  Please indicate on Eventbrite when registering.

Sponsored by Los Altos Educational Foundation (LAEF), MVLA High School Foundation, Mountain View Educational Foundation (MVEF), and Los Altos-Mountain View PTA Council.

Parent Speaker Series logo.png

Jazz Festival at MVHS - You are invited!

Music students from Los Altos High, Mountain View High, Graham Middle School, Blach Middle School and more are scheduled to perform at the Annual Jazz Festival on 11:30AM on Saturday at the Quad in Mountain View High School, 3535 Truman Avenue.

Support and be amazed by the musical talent in our community. Local residents and friends are invited with blankets and lawn chairs to watch performances by each school's Jazz Band. Guest artist John Worley will be featured at the event.

Food, drinks and Baskin Robbins ice-cream will be available for purchase. Pets are not allowed. Suggested donation is $5 for students, $10 for adults/seniors. All proceeds support Mountain View High School music department.

MVHS Logo.jpg

Bike to Work Day / Carbon-Free Commute Day
Thursday May 9 is the official Bay Area Bike to Work Day and MVHS Carbon-Free Commute Day!  CFC volunteers will greet students and staff with treats at the bike racks in the morning.  All carbon-free commuters (including bus, walk, etc.) are welcome.  Plus, there will be energizer stations all over the bay area providing free drinks, snacks, and good cheer to bicyclists.  Find one on your route at
https://bayareabiketowork.com/energizer.  For questions ask the CFC committee at mvhscfc@xxxxxxxxx.

MVHS Logo.jpg

MVHS Robotics

The MVHS Robotics team has returned from the Championship Event in Houston capping off a successful season.  The Spartan Robotics team was ranked #1 in their sub-division and selected team 179, Children of the Swamp from Riviera Beach Florida, 3646, INTEGRA BAHCESEHIR from Istanbul Turkey, and 498, The Cobra Commanders from Glendale Arizona to be on their alliance for the playoff double-elimination matches.  This alliance won the Galileo sub-division.  From there, they moved on to the round-robin competition against the other five sub-division winners.   The Spartan Robotics team finished the Houston Championship ranking #4 out of almost 400 teams competing and 3800 teams around the world.

MVHS Logo.jpg

Spartans PAUSE

The PTSA is hosting our monthly April Spartans PAUSE event on Friday, April 26th. The theme is Earth Week - Healthy Eating, Healthy Life.

Students will be invited to:

·  Green Buffet in the redwood grove: Students can sample an assortment of nutritious cut fruits, veggie sticks and dip. The Latino Parent Outreach group will bring delicious homemade guacamole, salsa and chips.

·  Meditation in the Garden: Mrs. Evare from the Counseling Department will lead two 15-minute meditation sessions in the beautiful garden area between the 400 and 500 buildings. It will be a wonderful opportunity for students to quiet their minds, breathe and relax during this very busy time of the year.

If you would like to volunteer, please sign up here. See the attached flyer for more information. During the finals week we will continue to offer nutritious snacks and stress relief activities. Stay tuned for more details!

During the March 29th PAUSE, students joined the Drum Circle in the redwood grove, participated in a Partner Yoga session and received a refreshing Jamba Juice smoothie, relaxed and created crafts in the quad. Thank you to all the enthusiastic volunteers who made it possible! A special shout-out to our own MVHS yogi moms Lynn Heinrichs and Lacy Rathbun!

NEW to PAUSE?

To learn more about the PTSA's student wellness initiative, check out the Spartan PAUSE's 1-minute video made by FreeStyle. Here are more resources: PAUSE flyerPTSA's website and ASB's student wellness page. If you would like to help plan and coordinate student wellness activities, we would love to have you on the team!

Thank you for supporting student wellness!

Spartans PAUSE Committee

Contact us: SpartansPause@xxxxxxxxx

Want to help? Sign up here!

PTSA Logo.jpg

From the College and Career Center

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Scholarship

If you are planning on studying science or engineering at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo next year, make sure you apply for the Pavan Reddy scholarship!

$3,500 Scholarship for De Anza or Foothill College!

Are you going to De Anza or Foothill College next school year? If so, apply for the Kiwanis scholarship open specifically to seniors @ MVHS.

MVHS Sports Boosters Scholarship

Are you an athlete with a 2.5 GPA or higher? If so, make sure to apply for the Sports Boosters scholarship! This is a $1,500 scholarship that will be awarded to one male and one female graduating senior. Students can go to MVHSCCC.NET to find the applications for these scholarships and more!

Committing to a University by May 1, 2019!

Seniors, if you are going to a four-year university next school year, don't forget to commit to a school by May 1 and pay your enrollment deposit! If the deposit is a financial barrier for you, call your school's financial aid office to learn about other possible options!

Senior Check-Out Requirement

As part of senior check-out, all seniors must update their college list in Naviance. Students should check their school email for detailed instructions.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

 2019 Grad Night

Grad Night 2019 takes place immediately following graduation. It's an ALL NIGHT party for the class of 2019 to celebrate in a safe, alcohol-, tobacco-, and drug-free environment. There will be lots of food, activities, professional entertainment, and of course, a DJ.

Current Admission Price is $225. Need a Scholarship? Admission & Scholarship Forms are enclosed. Contact gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

Lamar Haggart & Margaret Abe-Koga, grad night co-chairs

Reserved Parking for MVHS June 7 Graduation Ceremony available now!

Graduation is fast approaching and now is the time to secure your parking space. If you'd like to reserve a space for yourself or relatives who will be in town, please use the link below.  The spaces are $45 each and proceeds benefit scholarships for Grad Night. Parking will be in the church parking lot at the corner of Oak and Truman... just across the street from the MVHS field and the graduation ceremony.

You can pay by credit card or check using the link below. There are just 120 spots, so act now before they’re all gone!

https://mvhs2019parking.eventbrite.com

The Senior Class needs YOU!

Immediately following the graduation ceremony on June 7, the graduates will attend an all-night party to celebrate their achievements. The location is top secret! We need parents of non-seniors to help while the grads and their families are busy with graduation. We need parents to help with venue set-up, parking, lanyard distribution, bus loading or as an overnight chaperone. We are also looking for chaperones who have first aid training or love taking pictures.

If you are available, please sign up on our volunteer sheet (https://goo.gl/96M92q) and be sure to include your name, email & phone. Questions? Send an email to gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

2019 Noche de Graduación

¡Registrate hoy! Aumentos de precios el 1 de abril … becas disponibles!

Noche de Graduación 2019 es inmediatamente después de la graduación. Es una fiesta que dura toda la noche para los graduados de la clase de 2019 para celebrar en en un ambiente sano y seguro, sin alcohol, ni tabaco y libre de drogas. Habrá bastante comida, actividades, entretenimiento profesional y por supuesto, un DJ.

La admisión de entrada es $200. El 1 de abril, el precio aumenta a $225. ¿Necesita una beca? Adjunto están las formas de Admisión y Becas.

Puede obtener mas informacion contacte: gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

Lamar Haggart & Margaret Abe-Koga, grad night co-chairs

La clase superior te necesita!

Inmediatamente después de la ceremonia de graduación del 7 de junio, los graduados asistirán a una fiesta que durará toda la noche para celebrar sus logros. La ubicación es de alto secreto! Necesitamos padres de personas no mayores que ayuden mientras los graduados y sus familias están ocupados con la graduación. Necesitamos que los padres nos ayuden con la configuración del lugar, el estacionamiento, la distribución del cordón, la carga del autobús o como acompañante nocturno. También estamos buscando chaperones que tengan entrenamiento de primeros auxilios o les encanta tomar fotografías.

Si está disponible, regístrese en nuestra hoja de voluntarios (https://goo.gl/96M92q) y asegúrese de incluir su nombre, correo electrónico y teléfono. Preguntas? Envíe un correo electrónico a gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

PTSA Logo.jpg

Spartans Sports Camp

Registration for Summer 2019 is off to a great start! Camp will run June 10 - August 2 this summer.  This will be our 8th summer providing a wide variety of camps to the community while raising funds for the Mtn. View HS Athletic Department. Last year, with your support, we raised $60,000. Thank you!

What's new for SUMMER 2019?

  • Wrestling Camp will be held June 24-28 for boys and girls entering grades 3-8. This camp will cater to kids who just want to try the sport out, as well as experienced wrestlers. We are excited to showcase the MVHS Wrestling Program - now in its 2nd season after a 30-year hiatus.
  • Junior Counselor Program will be offered 8 weeks this summer for boys and girls entering grades 8-9. We have received many requests for this program and we are excited to offer it this summer. This is a great opportunity for Junior Counselors to gain leadership experience.
  • We have upgraded our registration system to a more user-friendly platform.

As always we are proud to offer the following at Spartans Sports Camp:

  • Highly trained staff that includes current and former MVHS student-athletes and experienced MVHS coaches.
  • Swimming offered daily on-site!
  • Flexible registration options including pro-rating days, adding lunches last-minute, etc.
  • Campers receive a water bottle, t-shirt, and drawstring backpack.
  • 100% of the camp proceeds goes to support athletics at Mountain View High School. Your camp dollar goes directly back to the community!  Spartans Sports Camp directly supports the MVHS Athletic Department as we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Since 2012, we have raised over $300,000 for the MVHS Athletic Department.
  • Morning and Afternoon extended care available until 6:30 pm (extra charge)
  • Great selection of camps - there is something for everyone at Spartans Sports Camp!

Please see www.SpartansSportsCamp.com for our full calendar and to register today!

By popular demand, we are now offering a Multi-Session/Sibling Discount:

Save 10% on camp fees only (excludes lunch and extended care) when you register for 2 or more sessions at the same time. See website for terms and conditions.

Spartans Sports Camp.jpg

MVHS Sports Boosters Scholarship

The MVHS Boosters Board is happy to announce that it is now accepting applications for the 2019 Boosters Scholarships.  This is the 6th year of the MVHS Boosters Scholarship program and for 2019 the Board has approved awarding two $1500 scholarships for continuing education.  All 2019 graduating Spartan Athletes that meet the qualifications are eligible for this award.  This is NOT a top scholar athlete award and will be awarded to one male and one female athlete based on their application and coach’s recommendation.  Every Spartan Athlete has a fair shot at this award and will be considered equally based on their application and essay.  The scholarship may be used for any 4-year school, 2-year school, trade school or qualifying continuing education program.  If you have a question about a qualifying program, please contact the Boosters via email.

Applications are available on the Boosters website.    ://mvhssportsboosters.org/    Click MORE in the banner and then Scholarships in the pull down.  This year Boosters will be accepting on-line forms or scanned paper applications sent to the Boosters e-mail.

The DEADLINE for applications & coach’s recommendations is Friday, May 3 at 6:00 pm.

Good luck Spartans!

If you have any questions or difficulties please e-mail them to: SportsBoostersMVHS@xxxxxxxxx

MVHS Sports Boosters Logo (1).jpg

Children’s Health Council (CHC)

CHC provides the following events and services, most of which have no charge:

·  Parent Education at CHC Palo Alto: 30 parent education sessions on Tuesday evenings from September through June at 6:30-8:00pm

·  Three Parent Support Groups at CHC Palo Alto: ADHD, Anxiety & Depression, Learning Differences

·  Professional Development for Educators: Select Thursdays at CHC Palo Alto, 4:30-6:00 pm

·  Wilson Reading training for Teachers: Hosted by Sand Hill School

·  EdRev Expo: Annual conference every spring at AT&T Park in San Francisco

·  CHC Resource Library: Online library of screencasts of our Community Education sessions, articles,  videos, and podcasts

·  Free 30-minute consultation for parents

THIS MONTH'S EVENTS:
April 30: Teen, Social Media and Mental Health, 6:30-8:00pm
Parents and teens are invited to attend this youth panel on open communication when talking about social media and life online. My Digital TAT2, students representing CHC's Teen Wellness Committee and My Digital TAT2's Youth Advisory Board will come together for a special panel discussion.
Location: CHC - Palo Alto
REGISTER FOR FREE HERE >>

CHC.jpg

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7:30 de la mañana hasta las 4:00 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school website at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS home page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center'.  The most current Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the Tutorial Center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available. If you would like a free copy of the most current version of the Private Tutor directory, please contact Nancy Rafati at 940-4624 or nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Volunteer Tutors are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View High students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request. If your students have any requests or would like additional information about our volunteer program, please contact Nancy Rafati, Coordinator, at 940-4624, or email her at nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  http://www.mvla.net/ MVHS/Department/27-Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.