Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Apr 5, 2019 • 8:26 PM PDT
From: Grissom, David
  • To: David Grissom <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 20:25:30 -0700
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Friday, April 5, 2019

Thursday, May 2

Dance Spectrum, Foothill College, 7pm

Friday, May 3

Dance Spectrum, Foothill College, 7pm

May 6 – May 17

AP Testing

Monday, May 6

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

 Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2018-2019!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

MVLA Board of Trustees

The MVLA Board of Trustees will hold a regular board meeting on Monday, April 8 at 7:00 p.m. in the District Office Boardroom located at 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94040. The Board of Trustees will be introducing the new Superintendent as well as hearing a report on Instruction in Action for the Social Studies Department presented by Educational Services. The Board will Spotlight the Associated Student Body Leadership and recognize the April 2019 Students of the Month:  Miguel Barajas Varela, Adam Hollingworth and Camila Trepanier.

MVLA Logo.png

MVLA Foundation

Did you know…

This year your donations funded $100,000 for Innovative Learning Grants. These grants are intended to foster innovation, while cultivating exciting new collaborations among students. If these projects are successful they may also serve as pilot projects and could become part of the curriculum in the future.

Thank you for providing this opportunity for students and teachers to enhance their learning experience.

To learn more about Innovative Learning Grants visit our website

MVLAfoundation_logo.png

The Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP)

Each year, districts are tasked with examining the LCAP with all stakeholders, including staff, families, community and the district's bargaining units. The Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) is a three-year plan of how our district addresses the eight State Priorities and how we allocate our state and local funding accordingly. MVLA is in its 3rd year and will be submitting an annual review in June 2019.

We invite all stakeholders to participate in the Districtwide LCAP Advisory Committee. These meetings are open to all stakeholder groups. In this meetings, we will review data, evaluate our existing services and consider modifications for the future. This is a great opportunity to be involved in the decision making process in our district to best serve our students.

To RSVP for the meeting on April 29, 2019, please click HERE. You may also provide feedback through this link.

Thank you for your consideration.

Date & Topic

4/29/19, 4:00-6:00pm @ MVLA District Office

Finalize Annual Review

MVLA Logo.png

2019 SBAC & CAST Testing Schedule (Week of April 22-26)

Monday, April 22, 2019-Regular Monday Schedule

Tuesday, April 23, 2019-Junior SBAC Testing-Even Block Schedule

8:10am-10:45am        All Juniors in SBAC Testing

10:50 am-11:45 am    2nd Period

11:45am-12:30pm      Lunch

12:35pm-1:30pm        4th Period

1:35pm-2:30pm          6th Period

2:30pm-3:30pm          0 Period

Wednesday, April 24, 2019-Junior SBAC Testing-Odd Block Schedule

8:10am-10:25am        All Juniors in SBAC Testing

10:30 am-11:30 am    1st Period

11:30am-12:15pm      Lunch

12:20pm-1:20pm        3rd Period

1:25pm-2:25pm          5th Period

2:30pm-3:30pm          7th Period

Thursday, April 25, 2019-Junior SBAC Testing and Senior CAST Testing-Even Block Schedule

8:10am-10:45am        All Juniors in SBAC Testing

8:45am-10:25am        All Seniors in CAST Testing

10:30 am-11:30 am    2nd Period

11:30am-12:15pm      Lunch

12:20pm-1:20pm        4th Period

1:25pm-2:25pm          6th Period

2:30pm-3:30pm          0 Period

Friday, April 26, 2019-Junior SBAC Testing-Odd Block Schedule

8:10am-10:25am        All Juniors in SBAC Testing

10:30 am-11:30 am    1st Period

11:30am-12:15pm      Lunch

12:20pm-1:20pm        3rd Period

1:25pm-2:25pm          5th Period

2:30pm-3:30pm          7th Period

MVHS Logo.jpg

MVHS STEM Fair

The MVHS Science National Honor Society is holding the first-ever, STEM Fair for high school students! Any student interests can sign up.

Click here for the application:   bit.ly/stemfairapplication . Application close on April 1. The fair will be held in the MVHS Gym on April 6!

Students will submit their project under a specific category to 100019625 (at) MVLA and then present them to a panel of judges during the fair! There will be cash prizes awarded for the best projects.  Below are the categories for project submission and suggested project ideas:

·  Life Science (Biology, Ecology): Sample project ideas - Presenting the research you have done outside of school

·  Physical Science (Chemistry, Physics, Earth Science): Sample Project ideas - research about the fundamentals of a wide-known phenomenon like black holes and present what you have learned

·  Computer Science/Engineering: Sample project ideas -  demonstrate work done with open source code

 Students submit their projects NOW at bit.ly/stemfairapplication

MVHS Logo.jpg

The MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series

Please join us for an evening with Jeff Selingo

There is Life After College: Navigating School to Prepare for the Jobs of Tomorrow
Tuesday, April 9, 2019,  7 – 9 pm, MVHS Spartan Theater, 3535 Truman Avenue, Mountain View

Join us for an evening with higher education expert and author, Jeff Selingo, the former top editor of the Chronicle of Higher Education as he explores what happens to our children after they graduate from college and how the path today looks very different from the journey we, as parents, took a generation ago.

Parents often think that once their child gets admitted to college, they can relax and think they’ve launched their child.  Jeff’s talk will address:

·  why this is no longer true

·  what parents (and students) need to know so students can be better prepared to both thrive in college and beyond

·  what students need to know and how to prepare for the changed landscape of college and employment recruiting.

Jeffrey J. Selingo has written about higher education for two decades. He is the author of three books, a contributing writer at the Washington Post and The Atlantic, and a professor of practice and special advisor at Arizona State University. He is also a visiting scholar at Georgia Tech’s Center for 21st Century Universities.  Jeff received a bachelor’s degree in journalism from Ithaca College and a master’s degree in government from the Johns Hopkins University. He is a member of the board of trustees at Ithaca College. He lives with his wife and two daughters in Washington, D.C.

Register for this free event at  https://mvla2018-19-jeffselingo.eventbrite.com

Spanish translation will be available.  Please indicate on Eventbrite when registering.

Sponsored by Los Altos Educational Foundation (LAEF), MVLA High School Foundation, Mountain View Educational Foundation (MVEF), and Los Altos-Mountain View PTA Council.

Parent Speaker Series logo.png

From the College and Career Center

Deborah Dexter Scholarships

Seniors, the Deborah Dexter Scholarships are due Wednesday, April 10th to the college and career center. There'e one available to a female interested in science, one open to all students interested in engineering, and FOUR available for those that do not have U.S. citizenship. Don't miss out on free money for college!

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Scholarship

If you are planning on studying science or engineering at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo next year, make sure you apply for the Pavan Reddy scholarship!

$3,500 Scholarship for De Anza or Foothill College!

Are you going to De Anza or Foothill College next school year? If so, apply for the Kiwanis scholarship open specifically to seniors @ MVHS.

MVHS Sports Boosters Scholarship

Are you an athlete with a 2.5 GPA or higher? If so, make sure to apply for the Sports Boosters scholarship! This is a $1,500 scholarship that will be awarded to one male and one female graduating senior. Students can go to MVHSCCC.NET to find the applications for these scholarships and more!

UC Davis Picnic Day on Saturday, April 13th

The Mountain View Teen Center is hosting a field trip to UC Davis' picnic day on Saturday, April 13th from 8:00am to 4:00pm. UC Davis picnic day is an open house for prospective students. You will get to experience awesome traditions and learn about the campus. A light breakfast and lunch will be provided. Check your school email for details on how to get a permission slip. Stop by the college and career center if you have questions.

Committing to a University by May 1, 2019!

Seniors, if you are going to a 4 year university next school year, don't forget to commit to a school by May 1st and pay your enrollment deposit! If the deposit is a financial barrier for you, call your school's financial aid office to learn about other possible options!

Senior Check-Out Requirement

As part of senior check-out, all seniors must update their college list in Naviance. Students should check their school email for detailed instructions.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

 2019 Grad Night

Grad Night 2019 takes place immediately following graduation. It's an ALL NIGHT party for the class of 2019 to celebrate in a safe, alcohol-, tobacco-, and drug-free environment. There will be lots of food, activities, professional entertainment, and of course, a DJ.

Current Admission Price is $225. Need a Scholarship? Admission & Scholarship Forms are enclosed. Contact gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

Lamar Haggart & Margaret Abe-Koga, grad night co-chairs

Reserved Parking for MVHS June 7 Graduation Ceremony available now!

Graduation is fast approaching and now is the time to secure your parking space. If you'd like to reserve a space for yourself or relatives who will be in town, please use the link below.  The spaces are $45 each and proceeds benefit scholarships for Grad Night. Parking will be in the church parking lot at the corner of Oak and Truman... just across the street from the MVHS field and the graduation ceremony.

You can pay by credit card or check using the link below. There are just 120 spots, so act now before they’re all gone!

https://mvhs2019parking.eventbrite.com

The Senior Class needs YOU!

Immediately following the graduation ceremony on June 7, the graduates will attend an all-night party to celebrate their achievements. The location is top secret! We need parents of non-seniors to help while the grads and their families are busy with graduation. We need parents to help with venue set-up, parking, lanyard distribution, bus loading or as an overnight chaperone. We are also looking for chaperones who have first aid training or love taking pictures.

If you are available, please sign up on our volunteer sheet (https://goo.gl/96M92q) and be sure to include your name, email & phone. Questions? Send an email to gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

2019 Noche de Graduación

¡Registrate hoy! Aumentos de precios el 1 de abril … becas disponibles!

Noche de Graduación 2019 es inmediatamente después de la graduación. Es una fiesta que dura toda la noche para los graduados de la clase de 2019 para celebrar en en un ambiente sano y seguro, sin alcohol, ni tabaco y libre de drogas. Habrá bastante comida, actividades, entretenimiento profesional y por supuesto, un DJ.

La admisión de entrada es $200. El 1 de abril, el precio aumenta a $225. ¿Necesita una beca? Adjunto están las formas de Admisión y Becas.

Puede obtener mas informacion contacte: gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

Lamar Haggart & Margaret Abe-Koga, grad night co-chairs

La clase superior te necesita!

Inmediatamente después de la ceremonia de graduación del 7 de junio, los graduados asistirán a una fiesta que durará toda la noche para celebrar sus logros. La ubicación es de alto secreto! Necesitamos padres de personas no mayores que ayuden mientras los graduados y sus familias están ocupados con la graduación. Necesitamos que los padres nos ayuden con la configuración del lugar, el estacionamiento, la distribución del cordón, la carga del autobús o como acompañante nocturno. También estamos buscando chaperones que tengan entrenamiento de primeros auxilios o les encanta tomar fotografías.

Si está disponible, regístrese en nuestra hoja de voluntarios (https://goo.gl/96M92q) y asegúrese de incluir su nombre, correo electrónico y teléfono. Preguntas? Envíe un correo electrónico a gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

PTSA Logo.jpg

Spartans Sports Camp

Registration for Summer 2019 is off to a great start! Camp will run June 10 - August 2 this summer.  This will be our 8th summer providing a wide variety of camps to the community while raising funds for the Mtn. View HS Athletic Department. Last year, with your support, we raised $60,000. Thank you!

What's new for SUMMER 2019?

  • Wrestling Camp will be held June 24-28 for boys and girls entering grades 3-8. This camp will cater to kids who just want to try the sport out, as well as experienced wrestlers. We are excited to showcase the MVHS Wrestling Program - now in its 2nd season after a 30-year hiatus.
  • Junior Counselor Program will be offered 8 weeks this summer for boys and girls entering grades 8-9. We have received many requests for this program and we are excited to offer it this summer. This is a great opportunity for Junior Counselors to gain leadership experience.
  • We have upgraded our registration system to a more user-friendly platform.

As always we are proud to offer the following at Spartans Sports Camp:

  • Highly trained staff that includes current and former MVHS student-athletes and experienced MVHS coaches.
  • Swimming offered daily on-site!
  • Flexible registration options including pro-rating days, adding lunches last-minute, etc.
  • Campers receive a water bottle, t-shirt, and drawstring backpack.
  • 100% of the camp proceeds goes to support athletics at Mountain View High School. Your camp dollar goes directly back to the community!  Spartans Sports Camp directly supports the MVHS Athletic Department as we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Since 2012, we have raised over $300,000 for the MVHS Athletic Department.
  • Morning and Afternoon extended care available until 6:30 pm (extra charge)
  • Great selection of camps - there is something for everyone at Spartans Sports Camp!

Please see www.SpartansSportsCamp.com for our full calendar and to register today!

ALSO: Spring Break Basketball, Tennis, and Multi-Sport registration is open! Camp will take place April 15-19.

By popular demand, we are now offering a Multi-Session/Sibling Discount:

Save 10% on camp fees only (excludes lunch and extended care) when you register for 2 or more sessions at the same time. See website for terms and conditions.

Spartans Sports Camp.jpg

MVLA Speech and Debate

This past weekend, MVLA Speech and Debate took the Santa Clara University Spring Invitational by storm!

In March Novice Public Forum, Allison Huang & Sonav Agarwal and Archer Date & Evan Mow, reached double octofinals! Carolyn Smith & Jessica Gao and Kevin Lo & Marvin Lin reached octofinals! Allison Huang was first speaker!

In April Varsity Public Forum, Erik Zhang/Gage Rodriguez championed the tournament!

In Varsity Lincoln Douglas, Amelie Sen reached double octofinals!

In Varsity Parliamentary, Ryan Lee championed the tournament and was 7th speaker!

Novice Humorous Interpretation, Aidan Thurber placed 3rd!

Congratulations everyone!

You can still join speech and debate — join us 7PM every Wednesday at the Mountain View High School library.

MVLA Logo.png

MVHS Sports Boosters Scholarship

The MVHS Boosters Board is happy to announce that it is now accepting applications for the 2019 Boosters Scholarships.  This is the 6th year of the MVHS Boosters Scholarship program and for 2019 the Board has approved awarding two $1500 scholarships for continuing education.  All 2019 graduating Spartan Athletes that meet the qualifications are eligible for this award.  This is NOT a top scholar athlete award and will be awarded to one male and one female athlete based on their application and coach’s recommendation.  Every Spartan Athlete has a fair shot at this award and will be considered equally based on their application and essay.  The scholarship may be used for any 4-year school, 2-year school, trade school or qualifying continuing education program.  If you have a question about a qualifying program, please contact the Boosters via email.

Applications are available on the Boosters website.    ://mvhssportsboosters.org/    Click MORE in the banner and then Scholarships in the pull down.  This year Boosters will be accepting on-line forms or scanned paper applications sent to the Boosters e-mail.

The DEADLINE for applications & coach’s recommendations is Friday, May 3 at 6:00 pm.

Good luck Spartans!

If you have any questions or difficulties please e-mail them to: SportsBoostersMVHS@xxxxxxxxx

MVHS Sports Boosters Logo (1).jpg

Mentor Tutor Connection Volunteer Information Session - April 23rd

Come learn about volunteering as a Mentor or Tutor in our local Mountain View and Los Altos schools!

There is no obligation to sign up as a volunteer.  You're welcome to just come and learn more about what we do.

All volunteers must be high school graduates.

Mentor Tutor Connect Logo.jpg

Tuesday, April 23

Time:

12 - 1 pm

Location:

MVLA District Office - Board Room, 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA

Register:

REGISTER ONLINE

Questions:

programs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Information:

MentorTutorConnection.org

Children’s Health Council (CHC)

CHC provides the following events and services, most of which have no charge:

·  Parent Education at CHC Palo Alto: 30 parent education sessions on Tuesday evenings from September through June at 6:30-8:00pm

·  Three Parent Support Groups at CHC Palo Alto: ADHD, Anxiety & Depression, Learning Differences

·  Professional Development for Educators: Select Thursdays at CHC Palo Alto, 4:30-6:00 pm

·  Wilson Reading training for Teachers: Hosted by Sand Hill School

·  EdRev Expo: Annual conference every spring at AT&T Park in San Francisco

·  CHC Resource Library: Online library of screencasts of our Community Education sessions, articles,  videos, and podcasts

·  Free 30-minute consultation for parents

THIS MONTH'S EVENTS:
April 9: Self Advocacy Skills for Kids, 6:30-8:00pm
Join us for a teen panel discussion focused on self-advocacy skills for kids.
Location: CHC - Palo Alto
REGISTER FOR FREE HERE >>

April 11: Teaching Executive Functioning Skills in Middle and High School, 4:30-6:00pm
Professional Development for Educators
This interactive workshop will introduce multiple options for cultivating executive function skills.
Location: CHC - Palo Alto
REGISTER FOR FREE HERE >>

April 16: Sleepy Teens: What is Really Going On?, 6:30-8:00pm
Parents and their teens are invited to attend this valuable session to hear
Rafael Pelayo, MD, Clinical Professor, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences—Stanford Center for Sleep Sciences and Medicine talk about strategies that can be used to help teens get enough sleep.
Location: CHC - Palo Alto
REGISTER FOR FREE HERE >>

April 17: Sibling Issues: When There is a Challenging and Challenged Child in the Family, 6:30-8:00pm
Attend this session to identify common issues that can arise with siblings in these families and some strategies parents can use to mitigate the intensity of the sibling issues when they arise.
Location: CHC - South Bay
REGISTER FOR FREE HERE >>

April 18: Building Self-Advocacy in Students, 4:30-6:00pm
Professional Development for Educators

We will examine this well researched theory and show how it serves as the foundation for students exercising self-advocacy at school.
Location: CHC - Palo Alto
REGISTER FOR FREE HERE >>

April 25: Sibling Issues: When There is a Challenging and Challenged Child in the Family, 6:30-8:00pm
Attend this session to identify common issues that can arise with siblings in these families and some strategies parents can use to mitigate the intensity of the sibling issues when they arise.
Location: CHC - Palo Alto
REGISTER FOR FREE HERE >>

April 30: Teen, Social Media and Mental Health, 6:30-8:00pm
Parents and teens are invited to attend this youth panel on open communication when talking about social media and life online. My Digital TAT2, students representing CHC's Teen Wellness Committee and My Digital TAT2's Youth Advisory Board will come together for a special panel discussion.
Location: CHC - Palo Alto
REGISTER FOR FREE HERE >>

CHC.jpg

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7:30 de la mañana hasta las 4:00 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school website at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS home page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center'.  The most current Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the Tutorial Center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available. If you would like a free copy of the most current version of the Private Tutor directory, please contact Nancy Rafati at 940-4624 or nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Volunteer Tutors are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View High students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request. If your students have any requests or would like additional information about our volunteer program, please contact Nancy Rafati, Coordinator, at 940-4624, or email her at nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  http://www.mvla.net/ MVHS/Department/27-Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.