Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Mar 22, 2019 • 8:33 AM PDT
From: Grissom, David
  • To: David Grissom <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 08:32:22 -0700
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Friday, March 22, 2019

Thursday, May 2

Dance Spectrum, Foothill College, 7pm

Friday, May 3

Dance Spectrum, Foothill College, 7pm

May 6 – May 17

AP Testing

Monday, May 6

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

 Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2018-2019!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

MVLA Board of Trustees

The MVLA Board of Trustees will hold a regular board meeting on Monday, March 25 at 7:00 p.m. in the District Office Boardroom located at 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94040. The Board of Trustees will hear a report on the Annual Review Indicator Metrics presented by Educational Services. The Board will Spotlight the MVHS Boys Basketball CCS Champions and recognize the March 2019 Students of the Month: Josh Greenstein, Ben Peterson and Miguel Barajas Varela.

MVLA Logo.png

MVLA Foundation

Encourage your student to finish the school year strong. Does he/she need a little extra help understanding a concept taught in class? The Tutorial Center is open everyday from 7am-4pm. It is easy to check availability and expertise of the tutors online at:

MVHS Tutor Schedule.

Thank you for supporting the Tutorial Center through your donation to the MVLA High School Foundation! MVLAfoundation.org/donate

MVLAfoundation_logo.png

MVHS STEM Fair

The MVHS Science National Honor Society is holding the first-ever, STEM Fair for high school students! Any student interests can sign up. Click here for the application bit.ly/stemfairapplication . Application close on April 1st.

The fair will be held in the MVHS Gym on April 6th!

Students will submit their project under a specific category to 100019625 (at) MVLA and then present them to a panel of judges during the fair! There will be cash prizes awarded for the best projects.  Below are the categories for project submission and suggested project ideas:

·  Life Science (Biology, Ecology): Sample project ideas - Presenting the research you have done outside of school

·  Physical Science (Chemistry, Physics, Earth Science): Sample Project ideas - research about the fundamentals of a wide-known phenomenon like black holes and present what you have learned

·  Computer Science/Engineering: Sample project ideas -  demonstrate work done with open source code

 Students submit their projects NOW at bit.ly/stemfairapplication

MVHS Logo.jpg

Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program Application

Join Girls Who Code's FREE 7-week Summer Immersion Program for current 10th and 11th grade students (rising juniors or seniors) to learn the computer science skills you need to make an impact in your community and prepare for a career in tech. When you join Girls Who Code for the Summer Immersion Program, you will learn about:

Careers. You will spend your summer at top companies like Amazon, Twitter, Adobe, Electronic Arts, and others. At their offices, you'll learn from guest speakers, participate in workshops, connect with inspiring female engineers and entrepreneurs, and go on fun and interactive field trips.

Skills and Impact. You will learn computer science through hands-on, real-world projects in art, storytelling, robotics, game development, and web development. The program culminates in a final project where you will work with other students on an issue that is important to you, connecting the skills you've learned with the ability to solve real-world problems and create change in your community.

Sisterhood. As a member of the Girls Who Code sisterhood, you’ll learn in a supportive, all-female environment and make lifelong friendships that encourage you to be brave, take risks, and stand up for what matters to you.

No prior experience in computer science is necessary to apply. In addition to providing a free program, Girls Who Code provides students with free lunch every day. Summer stipends to cover transportation and living costs between $300 and $1400 are also available for students who qualify.

The application deadline has been extended to Monday, March 25th, and you can
apply here. It only takes a few minutes!

If you have questions, you can always check out this video for a helpful walkthrough of the application, or email summerimmersion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and the Girls Who Code team will get back to you!

GWC_logo_2016_.png

Important Graduation Information

Seniors and Parents:

Attached to this Gazette, you will find the senior letter and timeline for Graduation and all related upcoming events. Please print this letter for reference until Graduation on Friday June 7th. You can also find the letter on the MVHS website (click on MVHS website to see page).

If you haven’t ordered your cap & gown yet, please do so ASAP. To participate in graduation, seniors must have a regulation cap & gown. You can order online at www.jostens.com or for your convenience a copy of the the order form is attached to this Gazette.

The last item attached is the Lei Order form for those that are interested.

All Senior|Graduation event information, can be found at the MVHS website (click on MVHS website to see page).

Congratulations on this exciting milestone in your life!

MVHS Logo.jpg

The MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series

Please join us for an evening with Jeff Selingo

There is Life After College: Navigating School to Prepare for the Jobs of Tomorrow
Tuesday, April 9, 2019 - 7:00 - 9:00pm | MVHS Spartan Theater |3535 Truman Avenue, Mountain View, CA

Join us for an evening with higher education expert and author, Jeff Selingo, the former top editor of the Chronicle of Higher Education as he explores what happens to our children after they graduate from college and how the path today looks very different from the journey we, as parents, took a generation ago.

Parents often think that once their child gets admitted to college, they can relax and think they’ve launched their child.  Jeff’s talk will address:

·  why this is no longer true

·  what parents (and students) need to know so students can be better prepared to both thrive in college and beyond

·  what students need to know and how to prepare for the changed landscape of college and employment recruiting.

Jeffrey J. Selingo has written about higher education for two decades. He is the author of three books, a contributing writer at the Washington Post and The Atlantic, and a professor of practice and special advisor at Arizona State University. He is also a visiting scholar at Georgia Tech’s Center for 21st Century Universities.  Jeff received a bachelor’s degree in journalism from Ithaca College and a master’s degree in government from the Johns Hopkins University. He is a member of the board of trustees at Ithaca College. He lives with his wife and two daughters in Washington,  D.C.

Register for this free event at  https://mvla2018-19-jeffselingo.eventbrite.com

Spanish translation will be available.  Please indicate on Eventbrite when registering.

Sponsored by Los Altos Educational Foundation (LAEF), MVLA High School Foundation, Mountain View Educational Foundation (MVEF), and Los Altos-Mountain View PTA Council.

Parent Speaker Series logo.png

PTSA

Nominations are being collected for the Mountain View High School PTSA Volunteer Awards.   PTSA will acknowledge parents of seniors, who are concluding their years of service to our school community. We look forward to acknowledging special volunteers who have served the students at MVHS campus through various PTSA programs.

Please submit the name of your nominee along with a few sentences explaining why you are nominating this volunteer.  Please reply to Jill Lillie via e-mail at lilliepadusa@xxxxxxxxx by Friday, April 5th.

PTSA Logo.jpg

 2019 Grad Night

Sign up today! Price increases on April 1… scholarships available!!

Grad Night 2019 takes place immediately following graduation. It's an ALL NIGHT party for the class of 2019 to celebrate in a safe, alcohol-, tobacco-, and drug-free environment. There will be lots of food, activities, professional entertainment, and of course, a DJ.

Current Admission Price is $200. Starting April 1st, the price increases to $225. Need a Scholarship? Admission & Scholarship Forms are enclosed. Contact gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

Lamar Haggart & Margaret Abe-Koga, grad night co-chairs

The Senior Class needs YOU!

Immediately following the graduation ceremony on June 7, the graduates will attend an all-night party to celebrate their achievements. The location is top secret! We need parents of non-seniors to help while the grads and their families are busy with graduation. We need parents to help with venue set-up, parking, lanyard distribution, bus loading or as an overnight chaperone. We are also looking for chaperones who have first aid training or love taking pictures.

If you are available, please sign up on our volunteer sheet (https://goo.gl/96M92q) and be sure to include your name, email & phone. Questions? Send an email to gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

Pizza My Heart Fundraiser

Support Grad Night Scholarships by dining in or take out at Pizza My Heart on Thursday, March 28, 4-8pm, 1039 El Monte Ave, Mountain View

Mention MVHS Grad Night to the cashier so our school receives credit. Proceeds help fund MVHS Grad Night Scholarships. In store orders only. Hope to see you there!

2019 Noche de Graduación

¡Registrate hoy! Aumentos de precios el 1 de abril … becas disponibles!

Noche de Graduación 2019 es inmediatamente después de la graduación. Es una fiesta que dura toda la noche para los graduados de la clase de 2019 para celebrar en en un ambiente sano y seguro, sin alcohol, ni tabaco y libre de drogas. Habrá bastante comida, actividades, entretenimiento profesional y por supuesto, un DJ.

La admisión de entrada es $200. El 1 de abril, el precio aumenta a $225. ¿Necesita una beca? Adjunto están las formas de Admisión y Becas.

Puede obtener mas informacion contacte: gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

Lamar Haggart & Margaret Abe-Koga, grad night co-chairs

La clase superior te necesita!

Inmediatamente después de la ceremonia de graduación del 7 de junio, los graduados asistirán a una fiesta que durará toda la noche para celebrar sus logros. La ubicación es de alto secreto! Necesitamos padres de personas no mayores que ayuden mientras los graduados y sus familias están ocupados con la graduación. Necesitamos que los padres nos ayuden con la configuración del lugar, el estacionamiento, la distribución del cordón, la carga del autobús o como acompañante nocturno. También estamos buscando chaperones que tengan entrenamiento de primeros auxilios o les encanta tomar fotografías.

Si está disponible, regístrese en nuestra hoja de voluntarios (https://goo.gl/96M92q) y asegúrese de incluir su nombre, correo electrónico y teléfono. Preguntas? Envíe un correo electrónico a gradnight-coordinator (at) MVHS ELISTS

Recaudador de fondos de Pizza My Heart

Apoye las becas de la noche de graduación cenando o sacando comida en Pizza My Heart el jueves 28 de marzo, de 4 a 8 pm, 1039 El Monte Ave, Mountain View

Mencione la noche de graduación de MVHS al cajero para que nuestra escuela reciba crédito. Las ganancias ayudan a financiar las becas de la noche de graduación de MVHS. Solo en pedidos de la tienda. ¡Espero verte allí!

PTSA Logo.jpg

MVHS Science Olympiad Wins Regional Tournament

This past Saturday, March 16, 2019, both of the Mountain View High School Science Olympiad teams competed at the Santa Clara Regional Tournament. The Santa Clara region is one of the most competitive in the nation, with many of the nation’s top STEM schools vying for one of only four top spots to gain access to the state championship.

This was the Black Team's second year in a row winning first place at the Regionals tournament, which they accomplished by medaling in 18 out of the 23 events (including 6 gold medals, five 2nd place medals, one 3rd place, four 4th places, and two 5th place medals!)

The Gold Team placed sixth, medaling in 9 out of 23 events (including 2 gold medals, one 2nd place medal, two 3rd place medals, one 4th place medal, and three 5th place medals). The Gold Team even managed to best the Black Team in 4 events!

The Regionals Tournament brings an end to the 2-tournament season for the Gold Team, but the relatively young team looks forward to continuing to explore Science Olympiad in future seasons. The Black Team is motivated by their performance to improve even more leading up to the NorCal State Championship to win the 1st place trophy!

Congratulations to both the Black and Gold MVHS Science Olympiad teams!!!

Onward to States!

Medal Winners by Place:

1st Place - Boomilever - Nicole Xin, Tony Xin (Black Team)
1st Place - Circuit Lab - Ash Aggarwal, Nitin Kumar (Black Team)

1st Place - Dynamic Planet - Kavi Gollamudi, Matthew Lin (Gold Team)

1st Place - Forensics - Brandon Lee, Karina Chen (Black Team)

1st Place - Fermi Questions - Kavi Gollamudi, Saahil Sundarasen (Gold Team)

1st Place - Mission Possible - Ash Aggarwal, Noelle Crawford (Black Team)

1st Place - Mousetrap Vehicle - Luke Lee, Noelle Crawford (Black Team)

1st Place - Water Quality - Cassie Lee, Coral Chen (Black Team)

2nd Place - Chemistry Lab - Brandon Lee, Tejas Thvar (Black Team)

2nd Place - Fermi Questions - Nitin Kumar, Tejas Thvar (Black Team)

2nd Place - GeoLogic Mapping - Ben Delaney, Luke Lee (Black Team)

2nd Place - Mousetrap Vehicle - Ethan Solomon, Versha Rohatgi (Gold Team)

2nd Place - Thermodynamics - Anton Zabreyko, Ash Aggarwal (Black Team)

2nd Place - Wright Stuff - Alex Tsang, Ben Delaney (Black Team)

3rd Place - Boomilever - Catrina Yang, Sarah Chun (Gold Team)

3rd Place - Sounds of Music - Ben Delaney, Noelle Crawford (Black Team)

3rd Place - Thermodynamics - Ernest Chau, Olivia Lai (Gold Team)

4th Place - Anatomy and Physiology - Brandon Lee, Vincent Siu (Black Team)

4th Place - Astronomy - Anton Zabreyko, Tejas Thvar (Black Team)

4th Place - Codebusters - Karina Chen, Tony Xin, Vincent Siu (Black Team)

4th Place - Disease Detectives - Cassie Lee, Coral Chen (Black Team)

4th Place - Wright Stuff - Emma Lee, Matthew Lin (Gold Team)

5th Place - Astronomy - Daniel Hong, John Yoon (Gold Team)

5th Place - Forensics - Kavi Gollamudi, Versha Rohatgi (Gold Team)

5th Place - Herpetology - Ariana Rich, Kavi Gollamudi (Gold Team)

5th Place - Protein Modeling - Anton Zabreyko, Luke Lee, Tejas Thvar (Black Team)

5th Place - Write It Do It - Karina Chen, Nicole Xin (Black Team)

MVHS Logo.jpg

Akshaya Patra Club

Come out and support the Akshaya Patra club in a fun and talent-filled evening on March 29th. We are hosting a performing arts show in the Mountain View theatre in order to raise money and awareness for underprivileged children in India. We aim to donate food and resources to local schools so that kids who work to provide for their families can now receive an education. The show is from 7 pm to 9 pm and includes music, singing, and dance acts. Tickets can be purchased here for only $6, and all donations are welcomed and appreciated.

MVHS Logo.jpg

Spartans Sports Camp

Registration for Summer 2019 is off to a great start! Camp will run June 10 - August 2nd this summer.  This will be our 8th summer providing a wide variety of camps to the community while raising funds for the Mtn. View HS Athletic Department. Last year, with your support, we raised $60,000. Thank you!

What's new for SUMMER 2019?

  • Wrestling Camp will be held June 24-28 for boys and girls entering grades 3-8. This camp will cater to kids who just want to try the sport out, as well as experienced wrestlers. We are excited to showcase the MVHS Wrestling Program - now in its 2nd season after a 30-year hiatus.
  • Junior Counselor Program will be offered 8 weeks this summer for boys and girls entering grades 8-9. We have received many requests for this program and we are excited to offer it this summer. This is a great opportunity for Junior Counselors to gain leadership experience.
  • We have upgraded our registration system to a more user-friendly platform.

As always we are proud to offer the following at Spartans Sports Camp:

  • Highly trained staff that includes current and former MVHS student-athletes and experienced MVHS coaches.
  • Swimming offered daily on-site!
  • Flexible registration options including pro-rating days, adding lunches last-minute, etc.
  • Campers receive a water bottle, t-shirt, and drawstring backpack.
  • 100% of the camp proceeds goes to support athletics at Mountain View High School. Your camp dollar goes directly back to the community!  Spartans Sports Camp directly supports the MVHS Athletic Department as we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Since 2012, we have raised over $300,000 for the MVHS Athletic Department.
  • Morning and Afternoon extended care available until 6:30 pm (extra charge)
  • Great selection of camps - there is something for everyone at Spartans Sports Camp!

Please see www.SpartansSportsCamp.com for our full calendar and to register today!

ALSO: Spring Break Basketball, Tennis, and Multi-Sport registration is open! Camp will take place April 15-19.

By popular demand, we are now offering a Multi-Session/Sibling Discount:

Save 10% on camp fees only (excludes lunch and extended care) when you register for 2 or more sessions at the same time. See website for terms and conditions.

Spartans Sports Camp.jpg

#SheCan

Join us (The Mountain View Police Department) March 30 as we come together as a community to celebrate a day of female empowerment and inspiration.

Last year, we set out to open our children's eyes to what could be -- the event was dubbed Women's Day. This year, we take it one step further. Welcome to #SheCan, an all-encompassing day where people, regardless of age or gender, can come together as one to embolden the next generation of girls and women to see the possibility of just what they can do.

We are thrilled to announce that this year, we are partnering with the Mountain View Fire Department, numerous departments from the City, the 129th Rescue Wing, and Girls on the Run to pull the curtain back on what it looks like to be a woman in public service and how much of an impact women can make by simply being them.

See what's possible.

In order to register, please click here.

To learn more about the ‘why’ behind this event, check out our mission statement below!

-- We have a vision. A vision as police officers, firefighters and government leaders to connect with women and girls as mentors, advocates and sponsors. Out of this vision came the slogan #SeeStrongBeStrong. We believe that when young women and girls see what’s possible in any career they are encouraged, inspired and supported to strive to find their highest potential. We want all young women and girls to know that they can become anything they set their minds to. Because they are stronger, smarter and more capable than they think, and WE HAVE THEIR BACK.

We believe that when we engage with young women and girls and tell our stories of perseverance and resilience we are planting seeds of the same kind for them. We understand that when men stand up with women and girls, we are partners in equality and share the same dream of a better world.

We created this event to inspire, empower and embolden our female youth to see themselves as future leaders in the public sector. #SheCan, sponsored by the Mountain View Police Department, will offer an inside look at the joy and purpose behind the work public servants do in the world.

#shecan.png

From the College and Career Center

Deborah Dexter Scholarships

Dr. Dexter, an alumni of MVHS and member of the Mountain View community, is offering several scholarships, available specifically to MVHS seniors. Each scholarship is valued at $1,000. Please go to MVHSCCC.NET to learn more.

Community College Workshops at MVHS

Seniors, are you going to De Anza or Foothill College next school year? If so, make sure to sign up for the appropriate workshops in Naviance. By submitting an application, completing an orientation/meeting with a community college counselor, students will receive priority registration, which is crucial. If you have questions, please contact Jessica Yazdani at jessica.yazdani (at) MVLA

-De Anza Orientation: Friday, March 22, 12:00-1:30pm

- Foothill Application Workshop: Thursday, April 4, 11:35am-12:35pm

- Foothill Orientation: Thursday, April 25, 11:35am-12:35pm

Senior Checkout Requirement

As part of senior check-out, all seniors are asked to update their "Colleges I'm Applying to" list in Naviance by indicating if they have been admitted or denied from the colleges they applied to. For colleges in your list that you did not apply to, please indicate "Incomplete" as the admissions result. This information is private and will mainly be used for the scatter-grams tool in Naviance! An email was sent to all senior families detailing this info.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

MVHS Letterman Jacket

Event:

MVHS Letter Jacket Group Order

3/25/19

Time:

5:30pm-8pm

Location:

Mountain View High School Cafeteria

Group Discount Amount (per student):

$30 Minimum

Number of Online Deposits Required:

12 by 3/20/19

Calling all current and future “MV” block letter recipients...It’s time to order your MVHS letter jacket to showcase all your hard earned achievements and Spartan Pride! The MVHS Athletic Booster Club is excited to continue our partnership with JacketBack Embroidery, the SF Bay Area’s #1 provider of custom high school letter jackets, to hold a letter jacket group ordering event on campus (www.jacketback.com)

JacketBack Embroidery’s “Pop-Up” Shop will be on the MVHS campus to conduct jacket fittings and process letter jacket orders on 3/25/19 from 5:30pm to 8pm in the MVHS Cafeteria. A $50 online deposit is required from each student planning to order their letter jacket at our group ordering event. The $50 will be applied to your invoice and will be fully refunded if there is not at least 12 deposits received 5 days prior to the event date.

If you order at the event, you will receive a group ordering discount of at least $30 off the Standard Letter Jacket Package retail price of $349. The discount amount may increase depending on the number of orders submitted at the event. In addition, the MVHS Athletic Boosters will also receive portion of each letter jacket order back in the form of a donation check from JacketBack Embroidery.

We need at least 12 deposits submitted online by MVHS students in order to confirm our letter jacket ordering event at least 5 days prior to the event date. Please share this information with your MVHS friends, teammates and alumni. If our group does not submit at least 12 deposits, the event may be rescheduled or cancelled and all deposits made will be refunded in full. Please click the link below to make your $50 online deposit and to view more information about the ordering event/details.

http://stores.parkapro.com/mountain-view-high-jacket-order-deposit/

Note: You MUST submit your letter jacket order at our ordering event in order to receive the group discount. If you are not able to make the ordering event, you are welcome to visit JacketBack Embroidery’s Livermore location to process your jacket order at standard retail pricing (No exceptions).

MVHS Logo.jpg

MVHS Sports Boosters

Come and join us for our Second Annual MVHS Sports Boosters Golf Tournament on April 6 at Shoreline Golf Links.  Cost is $150 per Adult and $100 for all students.  All proceeds go to support Spartans Athletics.  Sign up here or see attached flyer.

MVHS Sports Boosters Logo (1).jpg

Children’s Health Council (CHC)

CHC provides the following events and services, most of which have no charge:

·  Parent Education at CHC Palo Alto: 30 parent education sessions on Tuesday evenings from September through June at 6:30-8:00pm

·  Three Parent Support Groups at CHC Palo Alto: ADHD, Anxiety & Depression, Learning Differences

·  Professional Development for Educators: Select Thursdays at CHC Palo Alto, 4:30-6:00 pm

·  Wilson Reading training for Teachers: Hosted by Sand Hill School

·  EdRev Expo: Annual conference every spring at AT&T Park in San Francisco

·  CHC Resource Library: Online library of screencasts of our Community Education sessions, articles,  videos, and podcasts

·  Free 30-minute consultation for parents

THIS MONTH'S EVENTS:

3/28- Thursday- 6:30pm, Helping a Friend in Crisis. This presentation is for young people ages 11-20 and will offer a brief overview on how to help a friend struggling with their mental health. Safespace, 708 Oak Grove Ave., Menlo Park. Free, donations welcome, register HERE

CHC.jpg

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7:30 de la mañana hasta las 4:00 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school website at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS home page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center'.  The most current Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the Tutorial Center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available. If you would like a free copy of the most current version of the Private Tutor directory, please contact Nancy Rafati at 940-4624 or nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Volunteer Tutors are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View High students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request. If your students have any requests or would like additional information about our volunteer program, please contact Nancy Rafati, Coordinator, at 940-4624, or email her at nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Sponsored by MVLA.png

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  http://www.mvla.net/ MVHS/Department/27-Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.