Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Mar 8, 2019 • 1:35 PM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: David Grissom <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 13:35:09 -0800
  • Bcc: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Grissom's Gazette

GG_hdr_v1.png

Friday, March 8, 2019

Thursday, March 14

Spring Musical (The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Theatre, 7pm

Friday, March 15

End of 3rd Quarter

Spring Musical (The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Theatre, 7pm

Saturday, March 16th

Spring Musical (The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Theatre, 7pm

Monday, March 18

Recess Day, NO SCHOOL

Tuesday, March 19

Teacher Service Day, NO SCHOOL

Monday, March 25

Schedule G ~ Iwata Rally

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Monday, April 1

Schedule G ~ Spring Rally

Friday, April 5

BOTC, Gym, 5pm

Monday, April 8

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Wednesday, April 10

Latino Awards, Theatre, 7pm

April 15 -19

Spring Break, NO SCHOOL

 Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2018-2019!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

Happy Friday!

The month of March is certainly upon us and with that comes a flurry of activity.  This month, we are preparing for two rather large activities and both will happen in the same week.  As many are aware, we are currently preparing for our six-year accreditation process. The visiting team will be on-campus from Sunday, March 24-Wednesday, March 27.  During that time, the visiting team will be on campus meeting with students and teachers as well as observing classes.  At the same time, we are also preparing for our sister school from Iwata, Japan to visit.  The students from Iwata visit MVHS once every two years and this provides our students with a wonderful cultural exchange with this school.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend and a quick reminder to set your clocks forward on Sunday.

Dave

MVHS Logo.jpg

MVLA Foundation

Did you know…

MVLA High School Foundation donations provide 24/7 online access to full-text magazines, academic journals, news articles, primary source documents, images, videos, audio files and links to vetted websites.

To access this information, visit the library website:

http://www.mvlahsd.net/MVHS/Department/133-Library/Portal/research

MVLAfoundation_logo.png

The MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series

Please join us for an evening with Kristin Neff

Self-compassion:  A proven Way to Accept Yourself, Build Inner Strength, and Thrive
Thursday, March 7, 2019, 7 – 9 pm, LAHS Eagle Theater, 201 Almond Avenue, Los Altos

Research suggests that self-compassion is a healthier way of relating to oneself, offering the benefits of self-esteem without its downsides.  Kristin Neff helps us understand that self-compassion involves:

·  treating ourselves kindly, as we would a close friend we cared about, rather than making global evaluations of ourselves as “good” or “bad.”

·  generating kindness toward ourselves as imperfect humans, and learning to be present with the inevitable struggles of life with greater ease.

·  motivation to make needed changes in our lives not because we’re worthless or inadequate, but because we care about ourselves and want to lessen our suffering.

This talk will present theory and research on self-compassion, which a burgeoning empirical literature has shown to be powerfully associated with psychological wellbeing.  Kristin Neff will discuss how self-compassion is a crucial skill for all caregivers, allowing us to care for others without losing ourselves.

A simple self-compassion practice that can be used in daily life, will be taught.

Kristin Neff, PH.D. is an Associate Professor of Educational Psychology at the University of Texas at Austin. She is a pioneer in the field of self-compassion research, conducting the first studies on self-compassion fifteen years ago. She is author of "Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself." She has also co-developed an empirically supported eight-week training program with Dr. Chris Germer that is taught worldwide: Mindful Self-Compassion. The Mindful Self-Compassion Workbook is now available.

Register for this free event at  https://mvla2018-19-kristinneff.eventbrite.com

Spanish translation will be available.  Please indicate on Eventbrite when registering.

Books for sale at the event from partner, Books, Inc.

Sponsored by Los Altos Educational Foundation (LAEF), MVLA High School Foundation, Mountain View Educational Foundation (MVEF), and Los Altos-Mountain View PTA Council.

Parent Speaker Series logo.png

Mandatory California State Physical Fitness Testing for all 9th Graders

All 9th graders (PE Medicals, Independent Study Physical Education, Athletic Opt Outs included) will be required to take the California State Physical Fitness Test in their Physical Education Class (or Free Period/Tutorial) NEXT WEEK (3/11-15/2019).  If students do not take part in this test, they will be mandatorily enrolled in Physical Education for their 10th grade year and will take the place of one of their electives.  Students need to pass 5/6 of the below tests to be exempt from taking Physical Education and choosing a sport, dance, cheer, or marching band (Fall only) for Physical Education Credits.

The following tests will be completed:

1.      Mile or Pacer

2.      Sit and Reach or Zipper (shoulder Flexibility)

3.      Sit Ups

4.      Push Ups

5.      Trunk Test

6.      Body Composition/BMI

MVHS Logo.jpg

Spartans Sports Camp

Registration for Summer 2019 is off to a great start! Camp will run June 10 - August 2nd this summer.  This will be our 8th summer providing a wide variety of camps to the community while raising funds for the Mtn. View HS Athletic Department. Last year, with your support, we raised $60,000. Thank you!

What's new for SUMMER 2019?

  • Wrestling Camp will be held June 24-28 for boys and girls entering grades 3-8. This camp will cater to kids who just want to try the sport out, as well as experienced wrestlers. We are excited to showcase the MVHS Wrestling Program - now in its 2nd season after a 30-year hiatus.
  • Junior Counselor Program will be offered 8 weeks this summer for boys and girls entering grades 8-9. We have received many requests for this program and we are excited to offer it this summer. This is a great opportunity for Junior Counselors to gain leadership experience.
  • We have upgraded our registration system to a more user-friendly platform.

As always we are proud to offer the following at Spartans Sports Camp:

  • Highly trained staff that includes current and former MVHS student-athletes and experienced MVHS coaches.
  • Swimming offered daily on-site!
  • Flexible registration options including pro-rating days, adding lunches last-minute, etc.
  • Campers receive a water bottle, t-shirt, and drawstring backpack.
  • 100% of the camp proceeds goes to support athletics at Mountain View High School. Your camp dollar goes directly back to the community!  Spartans Sports Camp directly supports the MVHS Athletic Department as we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Since 2012, we have raised over $300,000 for the MVHS Athletic Department.
  • Morning and Afternoon extended care available until 6:30 pm (extra charge)
  • Great selection of camps - there is something for everyone at Spartans Sports Camp!

Please see www.SpartansSportsCamp.com for our full calendar and to register today!

ALSO: Spring Break Basketball, Tennis, and Multi-Sport registration is open! Camp will take place April 15-19.

By popular demand, we are now offering a Multi-Session/Sibling Discount:

Save 10% on camp fees only (excludes lunch and extended care) when you register for 2 or more sessions at the same time. See website for terms and conditions.

Spartans Sports Camp.jpg

#SheCan

Join us (The Mountain View Police Department) March 30 as we come together as a community to celebrate a day of female empowerment and inspiration.

Last year, we set out to open our children's eyes to what could be -- the event was dubbed Women's Day. This year, we take it one step further. Welcome to #SheCan, an all-encompassing day where people, regardless of age or gender, can come together as one to embolden the next generation of girls and women to see the possibility of just what they can do.

We are thrilled to announce that this year, we are partnering with the Mountain View Fire Department, numerous departments from the City, the 129th Rescue Wing, and Girls on the Run to pull the curtain back on what it looks like to be a woman in public service and how much of an impact women can make by simply being them.

See what's possible.

In order to register, please click here.

To learn more about the ‘why’ behind this event, check out our mission statement below!

-- We have a vision. A vision as police officers, firefighters and government leaders to connect with women and girls as mentors, advocates and sponsors. Out of this vision came the slogan #SeeStrongBeStrong. We believe that when young women and girls see what’s possible in any career they are encouraged, inspired and supported to strive to find their highest potential. We want all young women and girls to know that they can become anything they set their minds to. Because they are stronger, smarter and more capable than they think, and WE HAVE THEIR BACK.

We believe that when we engage with young women and girls and tell our stories of perseverance and resilience we are planting seeds of the same kind for them. We understand that when men stand up with women and girls, we are partners in equality and share the same dream of a better world.

We created this event to inspire, empower and embolden our female youth to see themselves as future leaders in the public sector. #SheCan, sponsored by the Mountain View Police Department, will offer an inside look at the joy and purpose behind the work public servants do in the world.

#shecan.png

From the College and Career Center

Deborah Dexter Scholarships

Dr. Dexter, an alumni of MVHS and member of the Mountain View community, is offering several scholarships, available specifically to MVHS seniors. Each scholarship is valued at $1,000. Please go to MVHSCCC.NET to learn more.

Community College Workshops at MVHS

Seniors, are you going to De Anza or Foothill College next school year? If so, make sure to sign up for the appropriate workshops in Naviance. By submitting an application, completing an orientation/meeting with a community college counselor, students will receive priority registration, which is crucial. If you have questions, please contact Jessica Yazdani at jessica.yazdani (at) MVLA

-De Anza Orientation: Friday, March 22, 12:00-1:30pm

- Foothill Application Workshop: Thursday, April 4, 11:35am-12:35pm

- Foothill Orientation: Thursday, April 25, 11:35am-12:35pm

Teen Job Fair

The job fair will be held on Wednesday, March 13th starting at 2:35pm in the cafeteria. Some businesses that will be in attendance are: Safeway, In'N'Out, KidzLoveSoccer, Silicon Shores Corporation, and more!

Senior Checkout Requirement

As part of senior check-out, all seniors are asked to update their "Colleges I'm Applying to" list in Naviance by indicating if they have been admitted or denied from the colleges they applied to. For colleges in your list that you did not apply to, please indicate "Incomplete" as the admissions result. This information is private and will mainly be used for the scatter-grams tool in Naviance! An email was sent to all senior families detailing this info.

MVLAfoundation_logo_fundedby.png

MVHS Letterman Jacket

Event:

MVHS Letter Jacket Group Order

3/25/19

Time:

5:30pm-8pm

Location:

Mountain View High School Cafeteria

Group Discount Amount (per student):

$30 Minimum

Number of Online Deposits Required:

12 by 3/20/19

Calling all current and future “MV” block letter recipients...It’s time to order your MVHS letter jacket to showcase all your hard earned achievements and Spartan Pride! The MVHS Athletic Booster Club is excited to continue our partnership with JacketBack Embroidery, the SF Bay Area’s #1 provider of custom high school letter jackets, to hold a letter jacket group ordering event on campus (www.jacketback.com)

JacketBack Embroidery’s “Pop-Up” Shop will be on the MVHS campus to conduct jacket fittings and process letter jacket orders on 3/25/19 from 5:30pm to 8pm in the MVHS Cafeteria. A $50 online deposit is required from each student planning to order their letter jacket at our group ordering event. The $50 will be applied to your invoice and will be fully refunded if there is not at least 12 deposits received 5 days prior to the event date.

If you order at the event, you will receive a group ordering discount of at least $30 off the Standard Letter Jacket Package retail price of $349. The discount amount may increase depending on the number of orders submitted at the event. In addition, the MVHS Athletic Boosters will also receive portion of each letter jacket order back in the form of a donation check from JacketBack Embroidery.

We need at least 12 deposits submitted online by MVHS students in order to confirm our letter jacket ordering event at least 5 days prior to the event date. Please share this information with your MVHS friends, teammates and alumni. If our group does not submit at least 12 deposits, the event may be rescheduled or cancelled and all deposits made will be refunded in full. Please click the link below to make your $50 online deposit and to view more information about the ordering event/details.

http://stores.parkapro.com/mountain-view-high-jacket-order-deposit/

Note: You MUST submit your letter jacket order at our ordering event in order to receive the group discount. If you are not able to make the ordering event, you are welcome to visit JacketBack Embroidery’s Livermore location to process your jacket order at standard retail pricing (No exceptions).

MVHS Logo.jpg

MVLA Speech & Debate

At the USC Spring Championships in Varsity Lincoln Douglas, Varun Paranjpe was a quarterfinalist and 7th speaker!

Congratulations! You can still join speech and debate -- join us 7PM every Wednesday at the Mountain View High School Library.

MVLA Logo.png

Free Prom Dresses from Princess Project

EVERY teen can sparkle at prom this year! The Princess Project has 5,000+ brand new, beautiful dresses for anyone who cannot afford one (yes, they are free!) in the Bay Area. This offer is open to anyone going to Junior or Senior prom - you just need your school ID!

This year they will be helping at The Oaks in Cupertino on March 9, 10, 13, 16, 17 and 19.

Princess Project 2019 Prom Dress Give Away Days are now open for registration (https://booknow.appointment-plus.com/y9y6nj0y/)!

More info at
www.princessprojectsiliconvalley.org  or email getadressppsv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#princessprojectprom #sparkleon #makingdreamsreal

Princess Project.png

MVHS Sports Boosters

Come and join us for our Second Annual MVHS Sports Boosters Golf Tournament on April 6 at Shoreline Golf Links.  Cost is $150 per Adult and $100 for all students.  All proceeds go to support Spartans Athletics.  Sign up here or see attached flyer.

MVHS Sports Boosters Logo (1).jpg

Children’s Health Council (CHC)

CHC provides the following events and services, most of which have no charge:

·  Parent Education at CHC Palo Alto: 30 parent education sessions on Tuesday evenings from September through June at 6:30-8:00pm

·  Three Parent Support Groups at CHC Palo Alto: ADHD, Anxiety & Depression, Learning Differences

·  Professional Development for Educators: Select Thursdays at CHC Palo Alto, 4:30-6:00 pm

·  Wilson Reading training for Teachers: Hosted by Sand Hill School

·  EdRev Expo: Annual conference every spring at AT&T Park in San Francisco

·  CHC Resource Library: Online library of screencasts of our Community Education sessions, articles,  videos, and podcasts

·  Free 30-minute consultation for parents

THIS MONTH'S EVENTS:

3/12- Tuesday- 7pm, NAMI General Meeting: Speaker Nicole Steward, Social Worker and homeless/foster youth liaison will be speaking about how we carry the needs of others in our bodies with practical self-care tools to help us thrive as we care for others. Good Samaritan Hospital, main building basement, 2425 Samaritan Dr., San Jose. Free, more info HERE

3/14- Thursday- 7am, Challenge Team Meeting, Mountain View Police Department, 1000 Villa Street, Mountain View

3/14- Thursday- 6:30pm, ANGST: Raising Awareness Around Anxiety. A documentary that explores anxiety, its causes and effects, and what we can do about it. Sunnyvale Middle School Multipurpose Room, 1080 Mango Ave., Sunnyvale. Free, register HERE

3/19- Tuesday- 6:30pm, Helping Middle School Students Get Ready for High School. Topics include building self-awareness and self-advocacy skills, plus emotional coping strategies. CHC, 650 Clark Way, Palo Alto.  Free, register HERE

3/20- Wednesday- 12 to 2pm, San Jose Behavioral Health: Lunch and Learn, 455 Silicon Valley Blvd., San Jose. In partnership with Center For Discover.  RSVP to Richa Sachdev Sandhu, MS at 669-400-6220 or Richa.Sandhu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3/21- Thursday- 4:30pm, Teaching Executive Functioning Skills in the Elementary Classroom (FOR EDUCATORS). CHC, 650 Clark Way, Palo Alto.  Free, register HERE

3/28- Thursday- 6:30pm, Helping a Friend in Crisis. This presentation is for young people ages 11-20 and will offer a brief overview on how to help a friend struggling with their mental health. Safespace, 708 Oak Grove Ave., Menlo Park. Free, donations welcome, register HERE

CHC.jpg

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7:30 de la mañana hasta las 4:00 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school website at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS home page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center'.  The most current Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the Tutorial Center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available. If you would like a free copy of the most current version of the Private Tutor directory, please contact Nancy Rafati at 940-4624 or nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Volunteer Tutors are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View High students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request. If your students have any requests or would like additional information about our volunteer program, please contact Nancy Rafati, Coordinator, at 940-4624, or email her at nancy.rafati (at) MVLA.

MVLAfoundation_logo_fundedby.png

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  http://www.mvla.net/ MVHS/Department/27-Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.