Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Mar 2, 2018 • 4:08 PM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 16:07:18 -0800
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=mvla-net.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=HSJWPcuq7LPmoWcwC+T6b/ipps4eKO+i5apXRPLxq/g=; b=j7XVtx0P84jLYEfA2Bke1Z0M83GdtQd6FbABOmjBxF3HSOfZRl6Huo+oX6m4PGCgYe aod+YLn2FFODuu/y8ZN//kl4FPZaVq+2ayza0wGKPIot/InqmOiV6Z5HPlob8MKzXpuL h32lyIgrzGakbXRl8I/oyUnY3mcoE/zsBDKqXDDEn/o+dw5DuYnYkxEc0AnvGYQptpWU YrV7KRAZ06bkg8TfV1FfrDkbbXkHuW210ZPHnD4K5rGsoSNF7YQyeY49AkCA9Ao1ylWN dxbd5DaCAvFUPkm0B8RyczwKUmsbCuXR/lmhqFyMJ73H7B1vTb6xmECRirXHsv6pTr+x AZ9w==
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Grissom's Gazette

Friday, March 2, 2018

UPCOMING EVENTS

Monday, March 5

Tutorial Schedule

Monday, March 12

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Thursday, March 15

Spring Play, Spartan Theater, 7pm

Friday, March 16

Schedule G   Spring Rally

End of 3rd Quarter

Spring Play, Spartan Theater, 7pm

Saturday, March 17

Winter Percussion & Winter Guard Community Thank You Performance, MVHS Gymnasium, 10 am

Spring Play, Spartan Theater, 7pm

Monday, March 19

Teacher Service Day, NO SCHOOL

Wednesday, March 21

Spaghetti & Strings fundraiser, MVHS Gymnasium, 6:30 pm

Friday, March 23

BOTC (Battle of the Classes), Gym, 5 – 10 pm

Monday, March 26

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Wednesday, March 28

Countdown to College, Campus Wide, 6:30 pm

Friday, March 30

Bridge to Iwata Performance, Theatre, 7 pm

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2017-2018!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

Happy Friday and welcome back to school after a week off.

I want our parents and community to be aware that on Monday, March 5, we will be conducting a safety drill.  This drill has been scheduled since the beginning of the school year, but in light of the recent tragedy in Parkland, Florida we have revamped this event to focus on us as a community.  While we will still be talking about school safety and what to do in certain emergency situations, we will also spend time exploring how to help each other:  how to be a supportive friend and classmate and how to get help for our friends when they need it.

We are so lucky to live and work in Mountain View, which is such a supportive community.  With that said, we can always improve and support each other even more.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Dave Grissom

The MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series presents

Boys Adrift: Raising Authentic Boys Engaged in School and Life

Dr. Leonard Sax

From kindergarten to college, American boys are less resilient and engaged than they were two decades ago and the gender gap in academic achievement continues to widen.  Drawing upon 26 years of clinical experience and scientific research, Dr. Sax will explore how social, cultural, and biological factors have created an environment that impedes the healthy development of many boys today.  Dr. Sax will share concrete strategies to help us as parents connect more deeply with our sons and guide our boys to stay engaged - and grow into productive, self-reliant, authentic young men.

Topics include:

       How much time spent playing video games is too much time, and how do we know?

       Which video games are okay, and which are not, and how do we know?

       What has caused the dramatic drop in the testosterone levels of young men over the past 60 years? Why does it matter?

       What research has been conducted regarding the effect of medications for ADHD on the developing brain?

Dr. Sax is internationally recognized for his four parenting books, Why Gender Matters (2nd Ed., 2017)Boys Adrift (2nd Ed., 2016)Girls on the Edge (2010), and The Collapse of Parenting (2015) – a New York Times best-seller and has appeared on the TODAY show, PBS, NPR, CNN, Fox News, and the BBC, and many other national and international media.

To register for this free event, go to https://mvla2017-2018-leonardsax.eventbrite.com

Tuesday, March 6, 7 pm at Los Altos High School Eagle Theater

​The attached flyer provides​​ additional details. Due to the generosity of our sponsors, admission is free to MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series eve​nts.

MVHS Sports Boosters Golf Tournament

The MVHS Sports Boosters Golf Tournament will be held at Shoreline Golf Links on Saturday March 10, 2018.  Registration from 11-11:45; Shotgun start at noon.  Event is to raise funds for the continued improvement of the Athletic Trainer capabilities.   The $200 donation includes box lunch, three drink tickets, 19th hole snack, event golf shirt and hat, and prizes.

Please join us for a fantastic day of golf to support our MVHS athletes!

Donate at www.mvhssportsboosters.org

From the College & Career Center

Countdown to College

Dear sophomore and junior families:

Please mark your calendars for a very special night. Countdown to College is a conference style event, there will be over 15 different workshops available to help prepare your students for the college admissions process. The event will be held March 28 starting at 6:30 pm.

Teen Job Fair

The college and career center is hosting a teen job fair on Wednesday, March 7 at 2:30 pm in the cafeteria. There will be 15 employers available to discuss job opportunities with interested applicants. Don't miss out on this wonderful opportunity!

UC Personal Insight Question Workshop

There will be a UC PIQ workshop hosted by FLEX College Prep on March 22 at 2:45 pm in the College and Career Center to help juniors get a head start on these insight questions. Students can sign up on Naviance.

Music Department

Community Thank You Performance by MVHS Winter Guard and Winter Percussion

Our "Winter Auxiliary" will host their Community Thank You performance on March 17th, 10 am in the MVHS gym.  The performance is free, so bring friends and family and enjoy the 2018 Winter Guard and Winter Percussion shows.  We look forward to watching their 2018 shows "Pledge, Turn, Reveal" and "Doors" in our home gym!

March 21 "Spaghetti and Strings" Fundraiser Dinner

Bring friends and family out to our little Italian restaurant for the night... support our music program....and enjoy "Spaghetti and Strings," featuring music by the MVHS orchestras and string musicians!! Pick out your table in the MVHS Gym and our music students will serve you a delicious pasta dinner with salad and bread catered by The Pasta Market.  Win one of the fabulous door prizes.  Select a tempting dessert from our bake sale, featuring home baked goodies from our music families (for additional cost).  All proceeds benefit the Instrumental Music Parents Association and our MVHS instrumental music program.  Tickets are $20, $15 for children/youth, $15 for music-only (no dinner) and are available from orchestra students, or Music Directors Jason Kneebone and Anna Linde.  You may also buy tickets online at http://2018SnS.eventbrite.com.   Limited tickets may be available at the door if capacity permits.

MVLA Speech and Debate

The MVLA Speech & Debate Club has been very active since the beginning of the year with lots of great results. At the Golden Desert tournament, Maya Sanghavi was an octafinalist.

At Berkeley, Varun Paranjpe was a double-octafinalist in Lincoln-Douglas and Maya Sanghavi was an octafinalist, earning a bid to the Tournament of Champions. At Nueva, in Parliamentary JV, Nitin Kumar and Amir Tadros were undefeated.  Congratulations to All!  Come see what Speech & Debate is all about – 7 pm every Wednesday at the Mountain View High Library.

City of Mountain View’s Youth Advisory Committee

Be Active, Be Heard... and join the City's Youth Advisory Committee (YAC)! Apply today to join the 2018-19 YAC and advise City Council and staff on youth and teen issues! Meetings are twice a month with additional programs/events on various weekends throughout the year.  Applications are due Monday, April 2 by 5 pm. For more information about the YAC and to download the application, visit www.mountainview.gov/yac.

Spartans Sports Camps

Spartans Summer Camp

Spartans Sports Camp offers multi-sport, week-long sessions for boys and girls in grades 1-7, sport-specific sessions for grades 2-9, color guard camp for grades 3-9, and cheerleading camp for grades pre-K – 8. We also offer a hip hop dance camp for grades 1-7. Camps begin June 4th and run weekly through July 27 at Mountain View High School. The camp is run by MVHS coaches and student-athletes and all proceeds benefit the MVHS Athletic Department. Lunch and extended care are available for your convenience.

For more info or to sign up please visit www.SpartansSportsCamp.com or call 650.479.5906!

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7 am - 4 pm daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7 de la mañana hasta las 4 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center.'  The latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Qualified volunteer tutors, i.e., anyone with a bachelors or higher degree, are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin and Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request.

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  MV Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.