Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Jan 26, 2018 • 4:02 PM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 16:01:03 -0800
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=20150623; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=cMHruwo/1khtrlUUD35cD52fi+Nr2VvO0p26wKMe4qU=; b=h5fx8F+A1gsK6nCYyWMu8YVmA2d0qvmX95SJN70rk/JsmEHVtGSKR5/ajngtyb4o2S fAwVAnu5JFuaaA+yD5r3fWNmSRWm0xe1HU2exsNA/UYnFt+4jFmqxLoKw5f5nuekg3tw wUuT9V4G2o9N/A5OQruWIaSlOoVspxg7MH2727G9eb7EpoNtnvbdpvBGModRTGMu45fo /QYpYmP8qinQXER2Q1p5ZdYhWBNE0enfRIOZaf4bbUpMEvt0HLTmUOSTah0c/MA3WQLZ 54FZf4B1wzSvoh2I+VJheKVqs0cBVUkVoJ64eQalBw4cZtoBSEL/TvgmsihfN6BqJiv1 5Uqg==
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>
Grissom's Gazette

Friday, January 26, 2018

Monday, January 22

Schedule G   Winter Rally

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Thursday, January 25

8th Grade Info Night, Gym

Wednesday, January 31

Club Arena, Quad, Lunch time

Thursday, February 1

Club Arena, Quad, Lunch time

Mindful Parent Night, MVHS Cafeteria, 7 pm

Monday, February 5

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Tuesday, February 6

Math Night, Spartan Theater, 6:30 pm

Wednesday, February 7

Schedule D

Thursday, February 8

Schedule E

Wednesday, Feb. 14

Valentine’s Day

February 19 – 23

Monday, March 5

Tutorial Schedule

Monday, March 12

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Friday, March 16

Schedule G   Spring Rally

End of 3rd Quarter

Monday, March 19

Teacher Service Day, NO SCHOOL

Friday, March 23

BOTC (Battle of the Classes), Gym, 5 – 10 pm

Monday, March 26

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Wednesday, March 28

Countdown to College, Campus Wide, 6:30 pm

Friday, March 30

Bridge to Iwata Performance, Theatre, 7 pm

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2017-2018!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to .

Principal’s Message

January 26, 2018

Dear MVLA Parents and Community,

As many of you know, both MVLA comprehensive high schools are having their Winter Balls over the next two weekends and our students are excited about these highlights of the year. While these activities provide exciting opportunities for our students to dance, build community, and celebrate friendships in a safe place, there can often be pre-gatherings or post-parties that place our young people in new or difficult situations. Unfortunately, some of these situations may include drugs or alcohol.

We have thoughtful and confident students; however, this does not mean that they will always make the best decisions especially when faced with group pressures. We have heard a few rumors that parties may be planned around the dances, and we want to make sure that parents are vigilant.

Please talk with your students regarding their plans for the weekend and check in with other families to determine the level of supervision if your child is at someone else’s home. Talk with your student about who they will be with, how they will be transported, and how they can contact you if needed.

As a community, we have a desire to keep all of our students safe in drug- and alcohol-free environments. Toward that end, LAHS and MVHS will have breathalyzers at each of our dances to randomly check students as they enter and leave the dance.

Both schools are looking forward to fabulous Winter Balls.  Please help us keep all of our students safe!

LAHS & MVHS Administrators

Deadline EXTENDED for Intra-district Transfer to MVHS

Although our Open Enrollment window for transfers from Los Altos High to Mountain View High has closed, there is still space available at MVHS and we will continue to accept requests until MVHS reaches capacity. Families who are interested may use the standard intra-district transfer request form.

For the 2018-2019 school year, the open enrollment transfer capacity for intra-district transfers at Mountain View High School will be no more than 78 students. No intra-district transfers will be accepted for students requesting to transfer from Mountain View High to Los Altos High at this point.

Students and parents interested in an intra-district transfer should complete and submit the forms to Educational Services in the District Office: 1299 Bryant Avenue, just past Mountain View High's student parking lot.

MVLA Foundation

Empowering Students Today for Success Tomorrow!

Your donations have moved us $1.6 million closer to our goal of $1.704 million for the 2017-18 school year!  We work hard to maximize the value of every dollar raised and your tax-deductible donation is greatly appreciated by students and staff.

MVLA High School Foundation is proud to have a Gold Guidestar rating, and it's easy to give securely online at

From the Grad Night Committee

It's a Pizza My Heart Night! Support MVHS Grad Night by dining at Pizza My Heart on Thursday, Feb 1, 4-9 pm, 1039 El Monte Ave. Funds raised go directly to Grad Night Scholarships. Whether you dine in or take out, be sure to mention MVHS Grad Night to the cashier for proceeds to be donated to MVHS (no flyer needed). Thank you and enjoy!

Annual Big Band Swing Dance – Featuring MVHS Jazz!

Dear parents and Mountain View–Los Altos community! Please join us for an evening of great entertainment, food, wine and beer. This year marks the 5th anniversary of this wonderful event for ages 21+ only, featuring our talented MVHS jazz musicians. We will offer a free swing dance lesson before the live music begins. Or, just sit back and enjoy the great lineup of charts. LOCATION: MV Senior Center – 266 Escuela Ave. Mountain View

Ticket and drink sales will support the MVHS Music Department. Refreshments and soft drinks are included in the ticket price. You can purchase tickets online for $25 HERE. Senior tickets are $15. Mountain View and Los Altos school staff can attend for a $5 suggested donation.

We look forward to seeing you at this amazing evening of live music! For more information or questions, please contact Nancy Hill (nancymariehill@xxxxxxxxx; or 650-644-6268)

(Please share with your friends, neighbors, family, colleagues, and on Facebook and neighborhood lists.)

Math Night

Join us for an informational night to learn more about the high school math pathways available for your students.  In addition, the Computer Science and Engineering Courses and pathways will be presented.

This presentation is intended for families of K-8 students.

Location:  Mountain View High School Theater

                   3535 Truman Ave.