Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Jan 19, 2018 • 3:54 PM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 15:53:48 -0800
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=20150623; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=tHfpIcwIfyJlW7Xpoqi+mceaEA8pLfxVfHM/vL5XDok=; b=NhVBjLs5QZzatJ7SG9sJP+STwaHaPK4V+j57qFMAaDIkMU2joz6NAu8bE3ebGe/JO9 RcC/DOaEcagEx6/A/igna0HcZLv9zOQlNHEF87B46QRlbU7h8n6oAjYSitrcur/omT1j NFYKR9r3sOR6vyV2B7iG8SOFfV5dwLv1yTVKhAcWCvRmqQ7CAbDcwGOthLoCvOQURoZ6 bRtRGja2byA/u2xDImmHsutR9rVsyyBLowQdnzAn+PqjVDoemxFav0U0Ov6xMZXX8c/v I8jZGBAI/LG7Prc0zirV2jgOvDzHveVNNp/EOeL4jeTQTLuwJLdDGsM301ONhcmZOwke phDA==
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>
Grissom's Gazette

Friday, January 19, 2018

Monday, January 22

Schedule G   Winter Rally

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Thursday, January 25

8th Grade Info Night, Gym

Wednesday, January 31

Club Arena, Quad, Lunch time

Thursday, February 1

Club Arena, Quad, Lunch time

Mindful Parent Night, MVHS Cafeteria, 7 pm

Monday, February 5

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Tuesday, February 6

Math Night, Spartan Theater, 6:30 pm

Wednesday, February 7

Schedule D

Thursday, February 8

Schedule E

Wednesday, Feb. 14

Valentine’s Day

February 19 – 23

Monday, March 5

Tutorial Schedule

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2017-2018!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to .

From the MVLA Board of Trustees

The MVLA Board of Trustees will hold a regular meeting on Monday, January 22, 2018 at 7 pm in the District Office boardroom, 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94040. The College and Career Counseling Enhanced Services will be the Spotlight event. Reports on Common Assessments, the Facilities Master Plan, the Bond Election Proposal and a resolution calling for full and fair funding of California's public schools, as well as the Independent Auditor's Report will be included.  Public Hearings will be held on employee association Contract Reopeners for 2017-2018. Grace Flinchum of Mountain View High School and Noah Tesfaye of Los Altos High School will be honored as Students of the Month.

MVLA Foundation

Did you know your Foundation donation funds the Naviance Family Connection platform? Ask your student to share his/her log-in information.

Here are some features you may be interested in:

·  Freshmen - Take the “Do What You Are”  career survey

·  Sophomores - Create/update your student profile, plan and resume

·  Juniors - Start to explore different kinds of colleges

·  Seniors - Search MVLA's scholarship list

Parent Education Series

Raising Digital Natives

Devorah Heitner

Wednesday, January 24, 7 pm

Los Altos High School Eagle Theater, 201 Almond Avenue, Los Altos

Parents today worry that kids are addicted, detached or distracted because of digital devices. Often, adults are less conscious about what they are modelling with their own relationship with technology. Drawing from the latest research, Dr. Heitner provides gems of guidance to help parents become confident digital media mentors to texters, gamers and social media users from childhood to young adulthood. You’ll learn what it is like for kids to grow up in a world where school experiences, family life and friendships are all shaped by digital connection—and how you can share your own lifetime of social wisdom to mentor your children in their digital world.

Audience: K-12 parents, teachers and other caretakers
To register:

The attached flyer provides additional details.

Due to the generosity of our sponsors, admission is free to all MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series events.

DACA Information

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has announced that the agency is accepting DACA renewal applications from certain individuals at this time.

 It is extremely important that any individual who needs to file a DACA renewal application and did not do so prior to October 5,2017 do so IMMEDIATELY, without any delay.  The reason for this is that the Government is seeking a reversal of the recent  federal court order that the Government must continue to accept DACA renewal applications.  Should that order be reversed, the renewal process will be closed immediately. That could happen in a matter of days. (Presumably, if the process is closed by court order,  all renewal applications in the pipeline will be dealt with according to the procedures in place at this time.)

 Here are the current rules and explanations for who may renew at this time.  (The reference to USCIS is the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services bureau of the Department of Homeland Security):

1.      1.  If your DACA expired on or after September 5, 2017, you may send USCIS DACA renewal applications. This means you must fill out the latest versions of Form I-821D, Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization, and Form I-765WS Worksheet.

2.       2. If your DACA expired before September 5, 2016, you must reapply through an initial application, not renew. Everyone must include the date your DACA expired or will expire on Part 1 of the Form I-821D.

3.      3.   USCIS will not accept any first-time DACA applications. No new or first-time DACA applications will be accepted by USCIS.

4.      4.  Requests for advance parole from DACA recipients will not be accepted.

The official page on the USCIS website with links to the relevant forms for each category of renewal applicant is found below.  Please note that the 2016 dates found in the announcement would appear to be a typo.

Math Night

Join us for an informational night to learn more about the high school math pathways available for your students.  In addition, the Computer Science and Engineering Courses and pathways will be presented.

This presentation is intended for families of K-8 students.

Location:  Mountain View High School Theater

                   3535 Truman Ave.