Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Jan 5, 2018 • 4:29 PM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 16:29:01 -0800
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=mvla-net.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=xxPCpp4mnYZve1rA3XS9z7rDFjU0QG4jIlXcReKM98c=; b=k9cGHGcq8qkhllT3o43qo7GdkRzovj9DP4Gbw8fCYi428OXyXS77u+Z4iiCFvW01mi 4Ds84rqcQXjcS4eoLCwkKwIiPPT/UTyzMF9dHbyir7ejUZDNHz7pCjcilYumq8jukLdH MCyhIrP50RfHpCVOEJvjywuOU3wNLTLZDqWRvWravSHE1IHXqWOCxSyKX5wz/Ly0//58 I7LIiVEeiG0r/UVmqRVba7PJODArzMYASnmjBYfgRkluS2swerme41E3lBk34ttocjUS /RXxuAM7bWJN0S2qxAwXeIdSCAgLKWMVO0od99k0zE+LmRO71Nl10lm0nZkAnB00c3hr 8jkQ==
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Grissom's Gazette

Friday, January 5, 2018

UPCOMING EVENTS

Monday, January 8

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Monday, January 15

Martin Luther King Day, NO SCHOOL

Monday, January 22

Schedule G   Winter Rally

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Thursday, January 25

8th Grade Info Night, Gym

Wednesday, January 31

Club Arena, Quad, Lunch time

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2017-2018!

 Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

MVHS Community,

By any chance are you or someone that you are close to looking for a way to give back to the community or schools in your local area?  If you are, Mentor Tutor Connect is a wonderful organization that is looking for additional adult mentors for MVLA, Mountain View Whisman and Los Altos School Districts.

At Mountain View High School, mentors often work in a 1 on 1 setting assisting our students in a variety manners.  All of our students are looking for trusted adults in their lives and Mentor Tutor Connect can provide this trusted adult for our students.

The current wait list for tutors is growing and we need your help.  If you have an interest and/or passion in this area, I would like to suggest that you attend the Mentor Tutor Connect Open House in the MVLA District Office Boardroom on January 17  from Noon-1pm to gather more information.

It is trully a wonderful program that assists many of our students.  If you would like to attend, please register on-line at http://www.mentortutorconnection.org/calendar/?mc_id=67

From the Board of Trustees

The MVLA Board of Trustees will hold a Special Meeting at 4 pm on Monday, January 8, 2018 in the Alta Vista High School Multipurpose Room, 1325 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94040. The meeting will be an open session study session on the Draft Facility Master Plan.

A link to the Board Packet for the Special meeting may be found on our website: Special Meeting.

At 7pm on Monday, January 8, 2018 in the Alta High School Multipurpose Room,1325 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94040, the Board of Trustees will hold a Regular Meeting. A report on the Annual Review for Alta Vista High School, the Facilities Master Plan Approval, an introduction to the Bond Election Proposal and the Self Insurers Annual Report for Workers' Compensation for 2016-2017 will be included. Timothy Martinez of Alta Vista High School will be honored as the Student of the Month.

A link to the Board Packet for the Regular meeting may be found on our website: Regular Meeting.

Deadline EXTENDED for Intra-district Transfer to Mountain View High Applications Now Due by January 8, 2018

The deadline for applying for an intra-district transfer from Los Altos to Mountain View High for next school year has been extended to January 8, 2018 (previous deadline was 12/8/17).

For the 2018-2019 school year, the open enrollment transfer capacity for intra-district transfers at Mountain View High School will be no more than 78 students. No intra-district transfers will be accepted for students requesting to transfer from Mountain View High to Los Altos High at this point.

Students and parents interested in an intra-district transfer should complete and submit the forms by 4 pm on Monday, January 8, 2018. Families will be notified in January 2018.

You can read more about MVLA High School District’s updated board policy (5116.1) online.

MVLA Foundation

Academic Help for All Students

Happy new year and welcome back to school! As you start the second semester, we encourage you to remind your student to use the on-site Tutorial Center funded by the MVLA Foundation. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help offered 7am-4pm daily. Parent/Community volunteers, college and peertutors assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

Also, thanks to generous year-end donations from parents, alumni and community members, the MVLA Foundation is well on its way to achieving the $1,704,000 it needs to fully fund this school year’s initiatives which benefit all students.

If you haven’t yet made your donation for the 2017-18 school year, please review the programs and services our foundation funds and the benefits your student receives. Your participation matters. Please help us meet our goal! www.mvlafoundation.org

Parent Education Series

Cultivating Resilience from the Inside Out: Developing a Yes Brain in Children and Adolescents

Dr. Dan Siegel

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 7 – 9 pm

Los Altos High School Eagle Theater, 201 Almond Avenue, Los Altos

In this presentation, Dr. Siegel will explore the nature of the changes in the developing brain and how they set the stage for childhood and adolescent mental, physical, and interpersonal wellbeing. A “Yes-Brain” refers to how we can support the receptive state of brain activation within our families and schools. Childhood and adolescence are essential parts of our development and our evolution—and how we approach these stages with the positive, growth-mindset of a Yes-Brain, can cultivate resilience and wellbeing in youth.

Audience: K-12 parents and educators

Admission: FREE

Registration: https://mvla2017-2018-dansiegel.eventbrite.com

Raising Digital Natives

Devorah Heitner

Wednesday, January 24, 7:00 pm

Los Altos High School Eagle Theater, 201 Almond Avenue, Los Altos

Parents today worry that kids are addicted, detached or distracted because of digital devices. Often, adults are less conscious about what they are modelling with their own relationship with technology. Drawing from the latest research, Dr. Heitner provides gems of guidance to help parents become confident digital media mentors to texters, gamers and social media users from childhood to young adulthood. You’ll learn what it is like for kids to grow up in a world where school experiences, family life and friendships are all shaped by digital connection—and how you can share your own lifetime of social wisdom to mentor your children in their digital world.

Audience: K-12 parents, teachers and other caretakers

To register: https://mvla2017-2018-devorahheitner.eventbrite.com

The attached flyer provides additional details.

Due to the generosity of our sponsors, admission is free to all MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series events.

Cultivating Resilience from the Inside Out: Developing a Yes Brain in Children and Adolescents

 Presentations by Dr. Dan Siegel-January 11, 2018

Childhood and adolescence are essential parts of our development and our evolution—and a growth-mindset can cultivate resilience and well-being in youth. On January 11, 2018, we have booked Dr. Siegel for several sessions in which he will explore the nature of the changes in the developing brain and how they set the stage for childhood and adolescent mental, physical, and interpersonal well-being. A “Yes-Brain” refers to how we can support the receptive state of brain activation within our families and schools.

For Mountain View HS Students (MVHS Theater)

3rd Period:  10:05 - 11:05 a.m.

For Los Altos HS Students (LAHS Theater)

5th Period: 12:25 - 1:25 pm

For Teachers and Counselors (LAHS Theater)

3:45 - 4:45 pm

For Parents and the Community

Los Altos High School Theater, 7 - 9 pm

Dr. Siegel received his medical degree from Harvard University and completed his postgraduate medical education at UCLA with training in pediatrics and child, adolescent and adult psychiatry. He is a clinical professor of psychiatry at the UCLA School of Medicine and the founding co-director of the Mindful Awareness Research Center at UCLA. He is also the Executive Director of the Mindsight Institute. Dr. Siegel has published extensively for both the professional and lay audiences. His four New York Times bestsellers are: Mind: A Journey to the Heart of Being Human, Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain, with Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D: The Whole-Brain Child, No-Drama Discipline, and the upcoming The Yes Brain (2018).

Grad Night Committee

All parents are welcome to join the Grad Night Committee Meeting this Tuesday, January 9 at 7pm in the MVHS Library.  We are excited about this event and appreciate your support of the Graduating Seniors.  Any questions, please contact co chairs, Jill Lillie at  liliepadusa@xxxxxxxxx or Erin Eggleton at eeggleton@xxxxxxxxx.

Everybody’s Beautiful Writing Contest

The contest is held every year to spread awareness about body image and the beauty standards created by social media culture. Students in grades 6-12 are asked to create a poem or write an essay (in English or Spanish) answering one of the following questions:

·         What do you love about yourself?

·         Why should others love and accept themselves?

·         How does the media affect body image?

Students have the chance of winning up to $300 in cash, winners will also have their work published on their website.

If you would like additional information regarding this contest, please see the flyer attached to this Gazette.

From the PTSA

Snack Bar and Pizza Cart volunteers are needed
Volunteers are needed monthly to help with the Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.  Not only is it a fun way to volunteer, but we feed hungry kids and it helps raise funds for Senior Grad Night. Shifts are just once a month, though parents can sign up for as many shifts as they like.  There are just a few slots left open for volunteers for both Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.

Please sign up to help if you are interested, or even just fill in as a sub as needed.
https://docs.google.com

The PTSA also has several volunteer positions opens to help with Staff Appreciation, Incoming Freshman programs and New Family Liaisons.  If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Marilyn Stanley at
marilynb@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7 am - 4 pm daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7 de la mañana hasta las 4 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center.'  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Qualified volunteer tutors, i.e., anyone with a bachelors or higher degree, are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin and Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request.

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  http://www.mvla.net/ MVHS/Department/27-Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.