Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Dec 15, 2017 • 3:21 PM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 15:20:04 -0800
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=mvla-net.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=GQtllYPcmwDY9DkW24l/IOduq9D32jShVbT1fdhvDbY=; b=ej0uzXoH9Qo93bDHiA8TjZQXLFu+YuozWN+zm4m3HZp9cAjJJUxPuPoc9ExBeNsXIR kep8DHLW2VNziPjfmF0Ktx/+afOSFpJXcwo2XVSmBCX3GbiushdqKM/5W0xNbBdQfVLY Pb/Hki61jHzzFcMPcPuhA0Y8acp+SQor8369z+Y4GGwQOWPgmqhaa2oHijC6a8TyaMjs 27R6ISFydPdzx3NhAFW2VTfbsW0icv7l1wem8GDb/+f2vuE25LGl5NzmPzt4GkFEAnCv TgFHYGZfAYPVlPDDTeWefeQq3VOV31XKm/Pp3zR5D7bWFqkfXCZIDdCUSNi3Rz+lelo1 LwxQ==
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Grissom's Gazette

Friday, December 15, 2017

UPCOMING EVENTS

December 18 – 31

Holiday Break

Monday, January 1

New Year’s Day, Holiday

Tuesday, January 2

Teacher Service Day, No School

Wednesday, January 3

Schedule A

Thursday, January 4

Schedule A

Friday, January 5

TEDx, Theatre, 0-6 periods

Monday, January 8

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Monday, January 15

Martin Luther King Day, NO SCHOOL

Monday, January 22

Schedule G   Winter Rally

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Thursday, January 25

8th Grade Info Night, Gym

Wednesday, January 31

Club Arena, Quad, Lunch time

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2017-2018!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

 Principal’s Message

 MVHS Parents and Students,

I would like to congratulate you for completeing the first semester.  The end of the first semester is typically a turning point for two groups on campus.  The freshman class generally has become ingrained into the fabric of the community at this point.  They understand the structure of the school and how things work. At this point, they have become Spartans.

The other class that I reflect on is the senior class.  The end of the seventh semester can be pivitol for many of them.  While they have looked forward to broadening their wings and graduating from Mountain View High School, those moments are now directly in front of them.  If you have a senior, encourage them to savor the last 5 months of their senior year.  It goes by so quickly.

On to other topics, please note that Mountain View High School will re-open on Wednesday, January 3rd,  for the second semester.  While there may be some small activity on-campus (a few sporting events at the end of December), for the most part, school is closed.  This is a time when the students and staff have earned a much needed break.

It is my sincerest hope that each and every MVHS family has the opportunity to spend some time with their loved ones during this break.

Wishing you a wonderful and restful Holiday.

Go Spartans!

Dave

Deadline EXTENDED for Intra-district Transfer to Mountain View High Applications Now Due by January 8, 2018

The deadline for applying for an intra-district transfer from Los Altos to Mountain View High for next school year has been extended to January 8, 2018 (previous deadline was 12/8/17).

For the 2018-2019 school year, the open enrollment transfer capacity for intra-district transfers at Mountain View High School will be no more than 78 students. No intra-district transfers will be accepted for students requesting to transfer from Mountain View High to Los Altos High at this point.

Students and parents interested in an intra-district transfer should complete and submit the forms by 4 pm on Monday, January 8, 2018. Families will be notified in January 2018.

You can read more about MVLA High School District’s updated board policy (5116.1) online.

MVLA Foundation

Happy Holidays!

The success of our students is made possible by the collective donations of the entire community. Please join us in thanking all of our donors.

With gratitude,

The MVLA High School Foundation Board

P.S. - It's not too late to make that year-end tax deduction! Donate Now

Parent Education Series

Cultivating Resilience from the Inside Out: Developing a Yes Brain in Children and Adolescents

Dr. Dan Siegel

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 7 – 9 pm

Los Altos High School Eagle Theater, 201 Almond Avenue, Los Altos

In this presentation, Dr. Siegel will explore the nature of the changes in the developing brain and how they set the stage for childhood and adolescent mental, physical, and interpersonal wellbeing. A “Yes-Brain” refers to how we can support the receptive state of brain activation within our families and schools. Childhood and adolescence are essential parts of our development and our evolution—and how we approach these stages with the positive, growth-mindset of a Yes-Brain, can cultivate resilience and wellbeing in youth.

Audience: K-12 parents and educators

Admission: FREE

Registration: https://mvla2017-2018-dansiegel.eventbrite.com

Cultivating Resilience from the Inside Out: Developing a Yes Brain in Children and Adolescents

Presentations by Dr. Dan Siegel-January 11, 2018

Childhood and adolescence are essential parts of our development and our evolution—and a growth-mindset can cultivate resilience and well-being in youth. On January 11, 2018, we have booked Dr. Siegel for several sessions in which he will explore the nature of the changes in the developing brain and how they set the stage for childhood and adolescent mental, physical, and interpersonal well-being. A “Yes-Brain” refers to how we can support the receptive state of brain activation within our families and schools.

For Mountain View HS Students (MVHS Theater)

Students will have the opportunity to sgn up at MVHS, when they return from the Holiday Break.

3rd Period:  10:05 - 11:05 a.m.

For Los Altos HS Students (LAHS Theater)

5th Period: 12:25 - 1:25 pm

For Teachers and Counselors (LAHS Theater)

3:45 - 4:45 pm

For Parents and the Community

Los Altos High School Theater, 7 - 9 pm

Dr. Siegel received his medical degree from Harvard University and completed his postgraduate medical education at UCLA with training in pediatrics and child, adolescent and adult psychiatry. He is a clinical professor of psychiatry at the UCLA School of Medicine and the founding co-director of the Mindful Awareness Research Center at UCLA. He is also the Executive Director of the Mindsight Institute. Dr. Siegel has published extensively for both the professional and lay audiences. His four New York Times bestsellers are: Mind: A Journey to the Heart of Being Human, Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain, with Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D: The Whole-Brain Child, No-Drama Discipline, and the upcoming The Yes Brain (2018).

From MVLA Speech & Debate

The MVLA Speech & Debate Club has been very active since the beginning of the year with lots of great results.

At CFL,  Amelie Sen was undefeated in JV LD.

At the University of the Pacific, Ryan Lee and Tamur Asar were octafinalists and at NPDI: Ryan Lee and Varun Paranjpe were semifinalists.

At Santa Clara University in Open Public Forum, Gage Rodriguez & Erik Zhang were octafinalists.  In Novice LD, Ken Vandeventer was an octafinalist and Arjun Patrawala was a semifinalist.

 Congratulations to All!  Come see what Speech & Debate is all about -- 7PM every Wednesday at the Mountain View High Library.

Grad Night Committee

 Dear Senior Parents,

As we wrap up 2017, please consider this direct appeal for Grad Night.

The fun of Senior Grad Night is the "everyone" gets to go.  It is a gift to be able to provide scholarships to students, and it is also a gift be able to receive a pre-paid ticket. Our goal is to send 456 Seniors to Grad Night, as the flyer attached shows. Your year-end donations are tax deductible and will be greatly appreciated.

If signing your student up for Grad Night is still on your "to-do" list, there is a link provided to the registration form.  A Grad Night ticket will make a great holiday gift for your student, or a fun way celebrate the completion of this semester (just one more to go!).

Good luck with finals and Happy Holidays from your Grad Night Committee.

With appreciation,

 Jill Lillie and Erin Eggleton

Grad Night Co- Chairs

From the MVHS Sports Boosters:

MVHS Sports Boosters Spartans Tree Lot

Don't miss the MVHS Sports Boosters 4th Annual Christmas Tree lot featuring high quality, freshly cut #1 grade trees from Oregon. Shop for the perfect fir at the Mountain View High School Stadium, Weekdays 5pm-8pm or Saturdays and Sundays 11am-8pm.

The lot is staffed by our MVHS athletes, performing arts students and parents. Buy a tree and support your students! All proceeds go to MVHS Sports Boosters to benefit the athletic and performing arts programs.

Holiday Basketball Camp

Learn valuable skills, stay active, and have fun in this half-day basketball camp. Shooting, ball-handling, and defense will be among the skills covered in a high-energy, fast-paced environment. Fun games will be used to teach the skills to keep campers focused throughout the day. This is a great opportunity to stay active, have fun, and work on your game during the holiday break. The camp takes place Dec 19-23 and Dec 26-30, 2017 from 9 am – 12 noon at Mountain View High School. Registration is open to girls and boys in grades 3 – 8. Sign up today at www.SpartansSportsCamp.com!

Everybody’s Beautiful Writing Contest

The contest is held every year to spread awareness about body image and the beauty standards created by social media culture. Students in grades 6-12 are asked to create a poem or write an essay (in English or Spanish) answering one of the following questions:

·         What do you love about yourself?

·         Why should others love and accept themselves?

·         How does the media affect body image?

Students have the chance of winning up to $300 in cash, winners will also have their work published on their website.

If you would like additional information regarding this contest, please see the flyer attached to this Gazette.

From the PTSA

Snack Bar and Pizza Cart volunteers are needed
Volunteers are needed monthly to help with the Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.  Not only is it a fun way to volunteer, but we feed hungry kids and it helps raise funds for Senior Grad Night. Shifts are just once a month, though parents can sign up for as many shifts as they like.  There are just a few slots left open for volunteers for both Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.

Please sign up to help if you are interested, or even just fill in as a sub as needed.
https://docs.google.com

The PTSA also has several volunteer positions opens to help with Staff Appreciation, Incoming Freshman programs and New Family Liaisons.  If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Marilyn Stanley at
marilynb@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7 am - 4 pm daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7 de la mañana hasta las 4 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center.'  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Qualified volunteer tutors, i.e., anyone with a bachelors or higher degree, are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin and Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request.

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  http://www.mvla.net/ MVHS/Department/27-Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.