Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Dec 8, 2017 • 12:02 PM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 12:00:48 -0800
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=mvla-net.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=b2GqGkQaIGRwIn7nCOUjF/pVf8bK06VBBlL9NBcoybg=; b=X/A3OAzLIQ9u3iwKdvHQy8mMgqPVY0MhvylkliPX9swCVPR68apQ5BvJ3padWb4d0p jjgTsIa2GIxmnDfImgBuX30gXx9YKUL5oVyxtPKRDCvQxiDn6AHu1wRCKwGzgcmXOD4f vB23BhUr7WIBmQdk8U9xMVcOkyXdBWQjJ6MOGppyyur3FhvWVMdb/uiyWtCGu1hj9dh4 tPGW3Jk/gpvjZXaXH4YvYInlUPlckegjU8hyeFOXzVQiau6R5VUx03UztBjg+cOJIhAh uVcziARR+vHnYLtmoCwANjn9tKqZpd7ht/VV6Ib/hcv8SREklIDlnC9W2hLDH6AY73+t hFVg==
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Grissom's Gazette

Friday, December 8, 2017

UPCOMING EVENTS

December 6 – 15

Spartans Pause

Wednesday, Dec. 13

Finals 2, 6, 7

Thursday, December 14

Finals 0, 1, 5

Friday, December 15

Finals 3,4

December 18 – 31

Holiday Break

Monday, January 1

New Year’s Day, Holiday

Tuesday, January 2

Teacher Service Day, No School

Wednesday, January 3

Schedule A

Thursday, January 4

Schedule A

Friday, January 5

TEDx, Theatre, 0-6 periods

Monday, January 8

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Monday, January 15

Martin Luther King Day, NO SCHOOL

Monday, January 22

Schedule G   Winter Rally

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Thursday, January 25

8th Grade Info Night, Gym

Wednesday, January 31

Club Arena, Quad, Lunch time

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2017-2018!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

Happy Friday!

As we wind down to the end of the first semester (final exams are being administered next week), I would like to remind all students to take time for themselves this weekend.  For many students, studying in “chunks” over time actually provides the greatest rewards.  For most students, “cramming” generally provides little results and leads many students to get far less sleep then they should.  Sleep and a good breakfast prior to finals should be a priority for all students.

I would like to inform all parents and students that we are at a time when the Grade Book feature on the SIS system will be turned off.  Starting on Wednesday, December 13, the SIS will be inaccessible.  This time allows our teachers to finish up the 1st semester grades.  Thank you for your understanding.

This is also one last reminder our parents and community that the MVHS Sports Boosters Christmas Tree Lot will be open all weekend.  The proceeds from the tree lot go directly to the students in athletics, performing arts and a few other extra curricular activities on-campus.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Go Spartans!

Dave

MVLA Foundation

Happy Holidays!

The success of our students is made possible by the collective donations of the entire community. Please join us in thanking all of our donors.

With gratitude,

The MVLA High School Foundation Board

P.S. - It's not too late to make that year-end tax deduction! Donate Now

Parent Education Series

Cultivating Resilience from the Inside Out: Developing a Yes Brain in Children and Adolescents

Dr. Dan Siegel

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 7 – 9 pm

Los Altos High School Eagle Theater, 201 Almond Avenue, Los Altos

In this presentation, Dr. Siegel will explore the nature of the changes in the developing brain and how they set the stage for childhood and adolescent mental, physical, and interpersonal wellbeing. A “Yes-Brain” refers to how we can support the receptive state of brain activation within our families and schools. Childhood and adolescence are essential parts of our development and our evolution—and how we approach these stages with the positive, growth-mindset of a Yes-Brain, can cultivate resilience and wellbeing in youth.

Audience: K-12 parents and educators

Admission: FREE

Registration: https://mvla2017-2018-dansiegel.eventbrite.com

Spartans PAUSE - PAUSE and Take Time for Yourself (Dec. 6 to Dec. 15)

On Wednesday, Spartans PAUSE (a wellness week to help students de-stress and recharge during finals) was kicked off with a complimentary coffee cart, fruit and pastries for our MVHS staff! At lunch, music, giant bubbles and wellness games led by the YMCA filled the main quad. A fuzzy snowball fight in the small gym, hula hoops, KanJam and giant Jenga reminded students to take time to PLAY.

On Thursday morning, PAUSE volunteers greeted students with cuties stationed at three entrances to campus. A trail mix bar and cookie decorating with a breakout session entitled, "Healthy Habits, Healthy Life” at lunch reminded students to take time to EAT, especially during finals.

Morning snacks and lunch activities will continue through Dec. 15 as students are reminded to take time to HELP, RELAX and CONNECT. More volunteers are welcome next week!

If you’d like to get involved, please check out the volunteer signup link and the attached flyer. Here is a short video courtesy of ASB. Thank you to all the wonderful volunteers and supporters! Hope to see you at PAUSE next week!

The Spartans PAUSE Team

Grad Night Committee

 Dear Senior Parents,

 As we wrap up 2017, please consider this direct appeal for Grad Night.

 The fun of Senior Grad Night is the "everyone" gets to go.  It is a gift to be able to provide scholarships to students, and it is also a gift be able to receive a pre-paid ticket. Our goal is to send 456 Seniors to Grad Night, as the flyer attached shows. Your year-end donations are tax deductible and will be greatly appreciated.

 If signing your student up for Grad Night is still on your "to-do" list, there is a link provided to the registration form.  A Grad Night ticket will make a great holiday gift for your student, or a fun way celebrate the completion of this semester (just one more to go!).

 Good luck with finals and Happy Holidays from your Grad Night Committee.

 With appreciation,

 Jill Lillie and Erin Eggleton

Grad Night Co- Chairs

From the MVHS Sports Boosters:

MVHS Sports Boosters Spartans Tree Lot

Don't miss the MVHS Sports Boosters 4th Annual Christmas Tree lot featuring high quality, freshly cut #1 grade trees from Oregon. Shop for the perfect fir at the Mountain View High School Stadium, Weekdays 5pm-8pm or Saturdays and Sundays 11am-8pm.

The lot is staffed by our MVHS athletes, performing arts students and parents. Buy a tree and support your students! All proceeds go to MVHS Sports Boosters to benefit the athletic and performing arts programs.

Holiday Basketball Camp

Learn valuable skills, stay active, and have fun in this half-day basketball camp. Shooting, ball-handling, and defense will be among the skills covered in a high-energy, fast-paced environment. Fun games will be used to teach the skills to keep campers focused throughout the day. This is a great opportunity to stay active, have fun, and work on your game during the holiday break. The camp takes place Dec 19-23 and Dec 26-30, 2017 from 9 am – 12 noon at Mountain View High School. Registration is open to girls and boys in grades 3 – 8. Sign up today at www.SpartansSportsCamp.com!

Everybody’s Beautiful Writing Contest

The contest is held every year to spread awareness about body image and the beauty standards created by social media culture. Students in grades 6-12 are asked to create a poem or write an essay (in English or Spanish) answering one of the following questions:

·         What do you love about yourself?

·         Why should others love and accept themselves?

·         How does the media affect body image?

Students have the chance of winning up to $300 in cash, winners will also have their work published on their website.

If you would like additional information regarding this contest, please see the flyer attached to this Gazette.

From the PTSA

Snack Bar and Pizza Cart volunteers are needed
Volunteers are needed monthly to help with the Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.  Not only is it a fun way to volunteer, but we feed hungry kids and it helps raise funds for Senior Grad Night. Shifts are just once a month, though parents can sign up for as many shifts as they like.  There are just a few slots left open for volunteers for both Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.

Please sign up to help if you are interested, or even just fill in as a sub as needed.
https://docs.google.com

The PTSA also has several volunteer positions opens to help with Staff Appreciation, Incoming Freshman programs and New Family Liaisons.  If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Marilyn Stanley at
marilynb@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7 am - 4 pm daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7 de la mañana hasta las 4 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center.'  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Qualified volunteer tutors, i.e., anyone with a bachelors or higher degree, are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin and Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request.

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  http://www.mvla.net/ MVHS/Department/27-Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.