Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Sat Dec 2, 2017 • 7:29 AM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 07:28:33 -0800
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=mvla-net.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=9HLgou4m/YqnQQ3wzxFvtmJ6avOdha2qju6N11rdblM=; b=g8S4ZDzgvG6cYQPQC9+SYH87enKJ+VbYK+XdsvhgQl5sgUdl7pOJIOPUKbsjus7bg/ ypDkoOgRL2FnpZH/oITQ3bXMG9zb3eFNvNZf89AGmSwWeNV30apDcAIrlkl0HBx3sg2t LpfS+tZWPMHGxdWJBoBnY5Ddz7+BuWfTdfFCB8zWPj5LAGKAjlXaYrENMBBLoU2sjEAP AUU+/+YYS9pl5h1zXkSY8SBmPu+FpQf/rlXqVgnX47zI6uEdPcGl1/qsdulHooK+kQ67 uDs1By/VAM48sZtSStAbeA97vEk+bt7Al4e4SPUSZcaanDW1IYkqeSHR3afIL0NEaXK/ awFg==
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Grissom's Gazette

Friday, December 1, 2017

UPCOMING EVENTS

Sunday, December 3

Holiday Sing-Along, Theater, 4 pm

Wednesday, Dec. 6

Winter Instrumental Music Concert, Theater, 7 pm

December 6 – 15

Spartans Pause

Wednesday, Dec. 13

Finals  2, 6, 7

Thursday, December 14

Finals 0, 1, 5

Friday, December 15

Finals 3,4

December 18 – 31

Holiday Break

Monday, January 1

New Year’s Day, Holiday

Tuesday, January 2

Teacher Service Day, No School

Wednesday, January 3

Schedule A

Thursday, January 4

Schedule A

Friday, January 5

TEDx, Theatre, 0-6 periods

Monday, January 8

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Monday, January 15

Martin Luther King Day, NO SCHOOL

Monday, January 22

Schedule G   Winter Rally

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Thursday, January 25

8th Grade Info Night, Gym

Wednesday, January 31

Club Arena, Quad, Lunch time

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2017-2018!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

Happy Friday!

As I turned my calendar to the month of December today, it reminded me of how far we have come this semester and what our students and staff have before them.  This home stretch before finals and the holidays can be one of the most stressful times of the year for our students.  Please remind them to take a deep breath and some “time-outs” during the next few weeks.  Please talk to them about pacing themselves and getting much-needed sleep.

I would like to thank our PTSA and the greater MVHS community for your on-going support of our students through the Spartans Pause activities.  These activities allow our students to take a moment out of their day during these stressful times to breathe and relax.  A list of the Spartans Pause activities is listed below in this Gazette.

Have a great weekend!

Dave

From the MVLA Board of Trustees

The MVLA Board of Trustees will hold a regular meeting on Monday, December 4, 2017 at 7 pm in the District Office Boardroom, 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94040. Los Altos High School and Mountain View High School Annual Reviews, the Facilities Master Plan Progress Report and the First Interim Budget Report will be presented. Los Altos High School Student Panelists at the Social Studies National Conference in San Francisco will be the Spotlight event and Zitlaly Ramirez of Adult Education will be honored as the Student of the Month. The December meeting is also the annual organizational meeting when Board officers are elected and the brief business of the District Financing Corporation is conducted.

​​

MVLA Foundation

ArtPop

Shop local. Shop handmade. Shop to support our local schools on Saturday, December 2!

This brand new pop-up artisan marketplace will donate 15% of proceeds made on December 2 to the three local school districts. There will be a ribbon-cutting with the mayor of Mountain View at 11 am.

Community Social featuring Foothill College president Nguyen

Thuy Nguyen, president of Foothill College, will be the featured speaker at a Holiday Social from 2:30-4 on Sunday, December 3, 2017 at the Garden House, Shoup Park, 400 University Ave, Los Altos.  All members of the community are warmly invited to attend. The Los Altos/ Mtn. View branch of the American Association of University Women and the Los Altos Women’s Caucus are co-sponsors, and will be offering light refreshments in the holiday spirit during social time before and after the featured presentation.

Thuy Nguyen, now entering her second year as Foothill College’s president, was honored this summer as part of the Carnegie Corporation’s “Great Immigrants” tribute that recognizes naturalized citizens who have helped advance society, culture and the economy. Born in Vietnam, Nguyen fled the war-torn country with her family in the late 1970s. She went to Castlemont High in Oakland, Yale, where Nguyen became a first-generation college graduate, and UCLA for law school. Her first job was attorney for Peralta Community Colleges. She was general counsel for the California Community College Chancellor's Office before being selected as Foothill’s President. She is believed to be the nation’s first Vietnamese-American college president.

Nguyen will be talking about the newly launched Early College Promise program at Foothill, which is designed to help bridge the gap between high school and college for students already in the AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) programs in Los Altos, Mountain View, and Palo Alto High Schools.  She is hoping to field questions about the program as well as other opportunities at Foothill from parents, students, and educators after her presentation.

Although there is no charge to attend, in order to gauge supplies needed the sponsoring organizations request RSVPs to Claire Noonan at c.noonan@xxxxxxxxx or (650) 941-2843.

Spartans Pause

Just One Week until Spartans Pause!
In case you are not familiar with Spartans Pause, the student wellness program organized by the PTSA at the end of each semester, check out this short video made by ASB.  (Thank you, ASB!) All those who have offered to help, your support is very much appreciated!  If you have not had a chance to sign up, there are still great opportunities to get involved:

·         Dec. 6 morning Staff Coffee Cart: Bring a pastry or fruit, or just come and socialize with the MVHS staff (you don't need to stay for the whole time)

·         Dec. 7-15 mornings: Greet students with nourishing morning snacks (30 mins)

·         Dec. 7 lunch: Join the fun at the cookie decoration or trail mix bar station (11:20-12:30)

·         Dec. 8 lunch: The holiday cards (for recent fire victims) station could use a couple of volunteers (11:45 am - 1 pm)

·         Dec. 11 lunch: More volunteers are needed at the de-stress ball station where students will make their own therapy squeeze balls (11:45-1:00)

Please sign up on the Spartans Pause Volunteer Signup Form if you can lend a hand.

Thank you for supporting student wellness!!!

The Spartans Pause Planning Team

From the MVHS Sports Boosters::

MVHS Sports Boosters Spartans Tree Lot

Don't miss the MVHS Sports Boosters 4th Annual Christmas Tree lot featuring high quality, freshly cut #1 grade trees from Oregon. Shop for the perfect fir at the Mountain View High School Stadium, Weekdays 5pm-8pm or Saturdays and Sundays 11am-8pm.

The lot is staffed by our MVHS athletes, performing arts students and parents. Buy a tree and support your students! All proceeds go to MVHS Sports Boosters to benefit the athletic and performing arts programs.

From the Instrumental Music Department

Holiday Sing-Along Concert

Join us for a festive concert for all ages on Sunday December 3, 4 pm, in the Spartan Theater.  Bring friends and family to sing favorite seasonal music accompanied by the MVHS Wind Ensemble.  Ticket prices of $10 adults ($5 children 12 and under) includes a booklet of song lyrics and refreshments at intermission.  All proceeds benefit MVHS Instrumental Music and our upcoming tours.  Buy your tickets early at mvsingalong.eventbrite.com.  Also: Six beautifully decorated holiday wreaths with be offered at a silent auction at the end of the performance. Each will have its own unique theme to brighten your front door!

Instrumental Music Concert

Join us on Wednesday, December 6 at 7 pm in the Spartan Theater to enjoy a concert featuring the MVHS Instrumental Music ensembles. The Chamber Orchestra, String Orchestra, Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble will perform several pieces, showcasing their work over the fall semester. Former MVHS Music Director Robin Kramer will guest conduct the Symphonic Band. The Chamber Orchestra, whose members are chosen by audition, will perform "Simple Symphony" by Benjamin Britten. The MVHS Wind Ensemble will play "Inchon" by Robert W. Smith and "Godspeed" by Stephen Melillo. Tickets will be available at the door for $10.

Holiday Basketball Camp

Learn valuable skills, stay active, and have fun in this half-day basketball camp. Shooting, ball-handling, and defense will be among the skills covered in a high-energy, fast-paced environment. Fun games will be used to teach the skills to keep campers focused throughout the day. This is a great opportunity to stay active, have fun, and work on your game during the holiday break. The camp takes place Dec 19-23 and Dec 26-30, 2017 from 9 am – 12 noon at Mountain View High School. Registration is open to girls and boys in grades 3 – 8. Sign up today at www.SpartansSportsCamp.com!

From MVLA Speech and Debate

MVLA Speech and Debate News

All meetings are 7-9 pm on Wednesdays in the Mountain View High School Library.  We have over a dozen different events so there is one that’s right for you -- debate, explicate, dramatize, and employ humor.  Join us Wednesdays from 7-9 pm at the MVHS Library!

Any students who have an interest in participating in Speech & Debate, please come to the meeting– there’s no obligation and with so many events and different coaches, we definitely have an event that you would enjoy - and we have a blast at our meetings.

Discurso y Debate MVLA

Todas las juntas son de 7-9 pm los miércoles en la escuela preparatoria de Mountain View en la biblioteca.  Tenemos más de una docena de eventos y con esto hay una apropiada para usted-venga al discurso, hable, explique, dramatice y use el humor.   ¡Venga con nosotros los miércoles de 7-9pm en la biblioteca de MVHS!

Estudiantes que tengan interés en participar en el Discurso y Debate, por favor venir a la junta-no hay ninguna obligación y con tantos eventos y entrenadores diferentes, nosotros definitivamente tenemos un evento del cual podrá disfrutar.  También nos divertimos mucho en nuestras juntas.

From the PTSA

Snack Bar and Pizza Cart volunteers are needed
Volunteers are needed monthly to help with the Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.  Not only is it a fun way to volunteer, but we feed hungry kids and it helps raise funds for Senior Grad Night. Shifts are just once a month, though parents can sign up for as many shifts as they like.  There are just a few slots left open for volunteers for both Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.

Please sign up to help if you are interested, or even just fill in as a sub as needed.
https://docs.google.com

The PTSA also has several volunteer positions opens to help with Staff Appreciation, Incoming Freshman programs and New Family Liaisons.  If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Marilyn Stanley at
marilynb@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7 am - 4 pm daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7 de la mañana hasta las 4 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center.'  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Qualified volunteer tutors, i.e., anyone with a bachelors or higher degree, are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin and Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request.

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  http://www.mvla.net/ MVHS/Department/27-Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.