Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Nov 17, 2017 • 4:52 PM PST
From: Grissom, David
  • To: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:52:04 -0800
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=mvla-net.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=coYfXBSJ+Ae/3+eJg8kmOLxiJgU5FyG6NSRu8b/N+iE=; b=y7WMYbgqv90UJ+mEAxQ0kVLCqB2BvE8aGflOQP/ouzU4/dQ/uqGLR9wLUOqCFg5CdG OjYOTOGwWpbgy3ls7MkgZF97jxOJK3tM1YT+ZzHH/zdFYwhu76xm++PPerpRmZmS83s3 HWNZ8DiYX0Sq0xkzqVzd0O4K3WUPprRrj7EefD8qVKbMhwFw5bJSWQAfJDTBiWYdERap 01s+0/ZxyHajS3zcaF6VsMguloDV1ke8ScIVqjcOPxQZ3eolyL4mZFDA0JykcYLfJj3/ W77z+SqNQc63f97CdBaKX5lSTIF8xdcvbyLO5zxZMjKsFixD6i56ARIX7UkXO9IFHA9H 8wPA==
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Grissom's Gazette

Friday, November 17, 2017

UPCOMING EVENTS

Saturday, November 18

Renaissance Concert, Small Gym, 6pm

Sunday, November 19

Renaissance Concert, Small Gym, 2 pm & 4:30 pm

Monday, November 20

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Wednesday, Nov. 22

Teacher Service Day, NO SCHOOL

Thursday, November 23

Thanksgiving, NO SCHOOL

Friday, November 24

Thanksgiving Holiday, NO SCHOOL

Monday, November 27

Festival of Lights Parade, Downtown Los Altos, 4 pm

Sunday, December 3

Holiday Sing-Along, Theater, 4 pm

Wednesday, Dec. 6

Winter Instrumental Music Concert, Theater, 7 pm

December 6 – 15

Spartans Pause

Wednesday, Dec. 13

Finals  2, 6, 7

Thursday, December 14

Finals 0, 1, 5

Friday, December 15

Finals 3,4

December 18 – 31

Holiday Break

Monday, January 1

New Year’s Day, Holiday

Tuesday, January 2

Teacher Service Day, No School

Wednesday, January 3

Schedule A

Thursday, January 4

Schedule A

Friday, January 5

TEDx, Theatre, 0-6 periods

Monday, January 8

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Monday, January 15

Martin Luther King Day, NO SCHOOL

Monday, January 22

Schedule G   Winter Rally

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7pm

Thursday, January 25

8th Grade Info Night, Gym

Wednesday, January 31

Club Arena, Quad, Lunch time

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2017-2018!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

MVHS Parent/Guardian,

Next Tuesday, November 21, our students will be participating in a few activities that are important in the growth of our students.  The first is a Digital Citizenship activity which will be taught in every classroom in our district.  We will be using this experience as part of our continuing desire to be good citizens in the digital community.

Our students will also be taking the California Healthy Kids survey.  This survey is given every two years regionally and provides vital information about student resiliency, protective factors, risk behaviors, and school climate.  This information also helps us to improve our ongoing efforts to provide a healthier environment and culture at MVHS.

While we hope that all students take this anonymous survey, a parent/guardian has the opportunity to decline their child from participating.  If you so desire, please complete and return the form that is attached to this Gazette.  We would like to have any opt-out forms returned no later than Monday, November 20.

Due to both of these exercises, we will be on a different schedule:

Monday, November 20-Regular Tuesday Tutorial Schedule on Monday

Tuesday, November 21-Digital Culture Activity & Healthy Kids Survey

0 Period   7:25-8:05

1st Period   8:10-8:45

2nd Period   8:50-9:25

Healthy Kids Survey 9:25-10:05 (in the 2nd Period classroom)

Brunch   10:05-10:15

3rd Period   10:20-10:55

Digital Culture Activity 10:55-11:40

4th Period   11:45-12:20

Lunch   12:20-1:05

5th Period   1:10-1:45

6th Period   1:50-2:25

7th Period   2:30-3:05

Go Spartans!

Dave Grissom

From the MVLA Board of Trustees

The MVLA Board of Trustees will hold a regular meeting on Monday, November 20, 2017 at 7 pm in the District Office Boardroom, 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94040. The English Department will present on their existing courses, a Facilities Master Plan progress report and Facilities Funding report will be included. Updated Board Policies on Board Bylaws will be presented for a first reading, and approval of the California Dashboard Local Performance Indicators will be considered for approval. The Central Coast Section Champions: LAHS Girls Water polo, plus Naomi Donovan of LAHS Girls Cross Country and Serena Myjer of MVHS Girls Cross Country will be honored; and Rachel Lu of LAHS and Nicholas Mark of MVHS will be honored as Students of the Month.

MVLA Foundation

It's November and we are starting the holiday season early by kicking off our #GivingTuesday campaign with a generous matching gift from LinkedIn. The first $15,000 of donations received between now and midnight November 28th will be doubled!

Your donations to the MVLA High School Foundation helps sustain the
programs that empower all our students to thrive and succeed. Your participation matters and we are grateful to all of our donors.

Please make your donation now!

Community Social featuring Foothill College president Nguyen

Thuy Nguyen, president of Foothill College, will be the featured speaker at a Holiday Social from 2:30-4 on Sunday, December 3, 2017 at the Garden House, Shoup Park, 400 University Ave, Los Altos.  All members of the community are warmly invited to attend. The Los Altos/ Mtn. View branch of the American Association of University Women and the Los Altos Women’s Caucus are co-sponsors, and will be offering light refreshments in the holiday spirit during social time before and after the featured presentation.

Thuy Nguyen, now entering her second year as Foothill College’s president, was honored this summer as part of the Carnegie Corporation’s “Great Immigrants” tribute that recognizes naturalized citizens who have helped advance society, culture and the economy. Born in Vietnam, Nguyen fled the war-torn country with her family in the late 1970s. She went to Castlemont High in Oakland, Yale, where Nguyen became a first-generation college graduate, and UCLA for law school. Her first job was attorney for Peralta Community Colleges. She was general counsel for the California Community College Chancellor's Office before being selected as Foothill’s President. She is believed to be the nation’s first Vietnamese-American college president.

Nguyen will be talking about the newly launched Early College Promise program at Foothill, which is designed to help bridge the gap between high school and college for students already in the AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) programs in Los Altos, Mountain View, and Palo Alto High Schools.  She is hoping to field questions about the program as well as other opportunities at Foothill from parents, students, and educators after her presentation.

Although there is no charge to attend, in order to gauge supplies needed the sponsoring organizations request RSVPs to Claire Noonan at c.noonan@xxxxxxxxx or (650) 941-2843.

Spartans Pause :: Volunteer Signup is Now Open

The Spartans Pause student wellness program, designed to help students to relieve stress before and during final exams, will run from Dec. 6 to 15. Join the fun by volunteering before school, during lunchtime, or by donating gift cards, snacks, or other supplies.

For each day of Pause, there will be nourishing morning snacks, fun lunchtime activities and informative break-out sessions to encourage students to pause and take care of themselves. The planning team has grouped activities into a theme for each day (see attached flyers for more details):

·  Wed, 12/6: Take time to PLAY

·  Thu, 12/7:  Take time to EAT

·  Fri, 12/8:    Take time to HELP

·  Mon, 12/11 Take time to RELAX

·  Tue, 12/12  Take time to CONNECT

·  12/13 - 15   Finals

We look forward to providing wellness options to our students, but cannot do it without the support from wonderful volunteers like you!  Please sign up to volunteer or donate gift cards/supplies using the Spartans Pause Volunteer Signup Form

Thank you in advance for supporting student wellness!

From the MVHS Sports Boosters:

Spartan Turkey Trot Registration is Open

Thursday, November 23, 2017, 8:30 am

Registration for the 8th Annual Spartan Turkey Trot is now open. Our community event – a 5k run/walk, Spartan Mile and 60m/400m kids’ race – has become a holiday tradition for all ages. This year, we are introducing timing chips on the running bibs. Exact run times be recorded and available on line the day of the race. The event takes place locally at our very own MVHS Track. Bring the whole family and be home in plenty of time to put the turkey in the oven! 100% of the proceeds benefit MVHS athletics.

MVHS Sports Boosters Spartans Tree Lot

Don't miss the MVHS Sports Boosters 4th Annual Christmas Tree lot featuring "high quality fresh cut #1 grade" trees from Oregon. The tree lot will be located at the Mountain View High School Stadium and will be open:

·         Friday after Thanksgiving (OPENING DAY NOV 24) 11am-8pm

·         Weekdays 5pm-8pm

·         Saturdays and Sundays 11am-8pm

 It will be staffed by our MVHS athletes, performing arts students and parents. Come buy a tree and support your students. All proceeds go to MVHS Sports Boosters to benefit the athletic and performing arts programs.

From the Instrumental Music Department

Festival of Lights Parade

Our award-winning MVHS Spartan Marching Band will march in the annual Festival of Lights Parade in downtown Los Altos.  An annual tradition, this parade kicks off the holiday season with marching bands, community groups, and lighted floats.  The parade begins at 6:00 pm on Sunday, November 27.  Find more info about the parade here:  http://www.losaltosparade.org/

Holiday Sing-Along Concert

Join us for a festive concert for all ages on Sunday, December 3, 4 pm, in the Spartan Theater.  Bring friends and family to sing favorite seasonal music accompanied by the MVHS Wind Ensemble.  Ticket prices of $10 for adults ($5 children 12 and under) includes a booklet of song lyrics and refreshments at intermission.  All proceeds benefit MVHS Instrumental Music and our upcoming tours.  Buy your tickets early at mvsingalong.eventbrite.com.  We expect this to sell out, but if any tickets are left, we will sell them at the door.  (This event is already posted to community calendars so don't wait too long to buy your tickets!)

Instrumental Music Concert

Join us on Wednesday, December 6 at 7 pm in the Spartan Theater to enjoy a concert featuring the MVHS Instrumental Music ensembles. The Chamber Orchestra, String Orchestra, Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble will perform. Tickets will be available at the door for $10.

Holiday Basketball Camp

Learn valuable skills, stay active, and have fun in this half-day basketball camp. Shooting, ball-handling, and defense will be among the skills covered in a high-energy, fast-paced environment. Fun games will be used to teach the skills to keep campers focused throughout the day. This is a great opportunity to stay active, have fun, and work on your game during the holiday break. The camp takes place Dec 19-23 and Dec 26-30, 2017 from 9 am – 12 noon at Mountain View High School. Registration is open to girls and boys in grades 3 – 8. Sign up today at www.SpartansSportsCamp.com!

From MVLA Speech and Debate

MVLA Speech and Debate News

All meetings are 7-9 pm on Wednesdays in the Mountain View High School Library.  We have over a dozen different events so there is one that’s right for you -- debate, explicate, dramatize, and employ humor.  Join us Wednesdays from 7-9 pm at the MVHS Library!

Any students who have an interest in participating in Speech & Debate, please come to the meeting– there’s no obligation and with so many events and different coaches, we definitely have an event that you would enjoy - and we have a blast at our meetings.

Discurso y Debate MVLA

Todas las juntas son de 7-9 pm los miércoles en la escuela preparatoria de Mountain View en la biblioteca.  Tenemos más de una docena de eventos y con esto hay una apropiada para usted-venga al discurso, hable, explique, dramatice y use el humor.   ¡Venga con nosotros los miércoles de 7-9pm en la biblioteca de MVHS!

Estudiantes que tengan interés en participar en el Discurso y Debate, por favor venir a la junta-no hay ninguna obligación y con tantos eventos y entrenadores diferentes, nosotros definitivamente tenemos un evento del cual podrá disfrutar.  También nos divertimos mucho en nuestras juntas.

From the PTSA

Snack Bar and Pizza Cart volunteers are needed
Volunteers are needed monthly to help with the Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.  Not only is it a fun way to volunteer, but we feed hungry kids and it helps raise funds for Senior Grad Night. Shifts are just once a month, though parents can sign up for as many shifts as they like.  There are just a few slots left open for volunteers for both Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.

Please sign up to help if you are interested, or even just fill in as a sub as needed.
https://docs.google.comspreadsheets/d/1wesJocs45W6yl9qF3sBfw3egbfBVzCokNrDn8DKrr1Q/edit#gid=0

The PTSA also has several volunteer positions opens to help with Staff Appreciation, Incoming Freshman programs and New Family Liaisons.  If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Marilyn Stanley at
marilynb@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7 am - 4 pm daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7 de la mañana hasta las 4 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center.'  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Qualified volunteer tutors, i.e., anyone with a bachelors or higher degree, are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin and Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request.

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  http://www.mvla.net/ MVHS/Department/27-Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.