Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Nov 3, 2017 • 3:56 PM PDT
From: Grissom, David
  • To: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 15:55:16 -0700
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=mvla-net.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=C7B3fhSAEu/thBp9fPEjlPfgu2ROI0gqGm06DEaRD3s=; b=XMZVSe2cJYlY92jO8wNBWrmKD4J7K9L1fbMa0df1vqqD+Fuc8A4PhjIp0eF5sZa+aJ 8AgGndqwMuSQbfh+nUM13NJTug8oJf4XAfvPxTcWWjKJinoi5Csj9SgQ2Rgwos/frqVp B4bYCSGIleNNPkizClFRaxhZrhdBWS3NifQxaFsrCThIHdtAJZmg55SG/fAA9ZdFdjkd M2nYnHFZmRnciVeXYq4nXPpOGtlXQ0IpnLmXhBF6zVyKUxf+NB+aYkZJDRQzQpAQTI21 Ef03kuHKXLG8S8/raHtQuQIcS4tcc4YX+UwpNPG9QKHqtLFX3LPdTsMEFy19050OxB62 yTdw==
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Grissom's Gazette

Friday, November 3, 2017

UPCOMING EVENTS

Monday, November 6

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Thursday, November 9

Fall Play, Theatre, 8 pm

Friday, November 10

Veteran’s Day Holiday, No School

Fall Play, Theatre, 8 pm

Saturday, November 11

Fall Play, Theatre, 8 pm

Thursday, November 16

Fall Chamber Concert, Theater, 7pm

Saturday, November 18

Renaissance Concert, Small Gym, 6pm

Sunday, November 19

Renaissance Concert, Small Gym, 2 pm & 4:30 pm

Monday, November 20

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Wednesday, Nov. 22

Teacher Service Day, NO SCHOOL

Thursday, November 23

Thanksgiving, NO SCHOOL

Friday, November 24

Thanksgiving Holiday, NO SCHOOL

Sunday, December 3

Holiday Sing-Along, Theater, 4 pm

Wednesday, Dec. 6

Winter Instrumental Music Concert, Theater, 7 pm

December 6 – 15

 Spartans Pause

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2017-2018!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

Happy Friday!

Parents and Students,

I have a favor to ask of you.  I have received an increased number of e-mails and phone calls about the driving habits of our students.  Neighbors and adults are very concerned about speeding and general recklessness before school, at lunch and after school.  It appears that the poorest driving is happening near the intersections of Levin Avenue, Diericx Drive and Wasatch Drive, just a few blocks to the north of our campus.

A few neighbors and I had the opportunity to speak to the Mountain View Police Department about some possible remedies to the problem and they are working out those details.  I am asking for the parents help to remedy this problem as well.  Please have a conversation with your student driver about safe driving to and from school (and quite honestly, at all times). It may help.  Students can be oblivious to the amount of harm damage that they could cause.

Your support is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend.

Go Spartans!

Dave Grissom

From the MVLA Board of Trustees

The MVLA Board of Trustees will hold a regular meeting on Monday, November 6, 2017 at 7 pm in the District Office Boardroom, 1299 Bryant Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94040. Reports on the Facilities Master Plan and a data summary and analysis on Los Altos and Mountain View High Schools will be presented. The Spotlight will be on the Mountain View High School Orchestra Conductor's Concert and Eitan Weiner of LAHS will be recognized as LAHS Student of the Month for October.

MVLA High School District Amends Intra-district Transfer Policy

Good News for Parents Seeking Transfers into Mountain View High

At its October 23 meeting, the Board of Trustees for the Mountain View Los Altos High School District (MVLA) adopted an updated board policy (5116.1) authorizing an annual open enrollment period for intra-district transfer requests made by the parents/guardians of any student who resides within district boundaries. For the 2018-2019 school year, the District will approve up to 78 intra-district transfers to Mountain View High School from Los Altos High School.

“Our enrollment projections indicate that student populations will continue to increase in the coming years primarily within the boundaries of Los Altos High School. This measure is one of several steps we are taking to accommodate the impact of new residential housing within our district,” said MVLA District Superintendent Dr. Jeff Harding. “This is good news for parents who have sought more flexibility in having their students enroll at Mountain View High.”

Dr. Harding recommended to the Board of Trustees that for the 2018-2019 school year, the open enrollment transfer capacity for intra-district transfers at Mountain View High School be no more than 78 students. No intra-district transfers will be accepted for students requesting to transfer from Mountain View High School to Los Altos High School at this point.

Students and parents interested in an intra-district transfer will be able to find forms and instructions online starting Monday, November 6. Applications for next school year will be due to the District on Friday, December 8, 2017. Families will be notified in January 2018.

The District may open an application window at the discretion of Superintendent Harding if total school enrollment at Los Altos High School remains below the maximum facility capacity. If student applications for transfer are greater than the available capacity, Superintendent Harding will use a random, unbiased process to select those transfer requests that will be approved.

MVLA Foundation

It's November and we will be starting the holiday season early by kicking off our #GivingTuesday campaign with a generous matching gift from LinkedIn. The first $15,000 of donations received between now and midnight November 28th will be doubled!

Your donations to the MVLA High School Foundation helps sustain the programs that empower all our students to thrive and succeed. Your participation matters and we are grateful to all of our donors.

Please make your donation now!

MVHS Day of the Dead Celebration

We are continuing our tradition of this celebration and invite you to our Dia de los Muertos event here in MVHS Cafeteria on November 3, at 5:30 pm. Please join us!

Continuando con esta linda tradición, le invitamos a celebrar El Dia de Los Muertos, aqui en la Cafeteria de MVHS, el 3 de Noviembre a las 5:30 pm.  Acompañenos!

2017-2018 MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series

Real American

Please join us as Julie Lythcott-Haims, author of How to Raise an Adult, talks about what it means to be a real American, her experiences with racism and micro-aggressions, and what we can do to foster greater understanding and compassion for individual differences in our racially and culturally diverse community.  Her new memoir, Real American, was just released on October 3.

To register:  https://mvla2017-julielythcott-haims.eventbrite.com

Tuesday, November 14, 7 pm in the Mountain View High School Spartan Theatre​

​The attached flyer provides​​ additional details.

Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors, admission is free to MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series events.

From the College and Career Center

Need Help Submitting the FAFSA?

MVHS will be hosting a Cash for College workshop on November 14th from 3-7 pm. Financial aid experts will be available to help students and their parents submit the FAFSA.

New College and Career Website

The College and Career Center has a brand new website this year. You can access it by going to the MVHS website and choosing NEW College and Career Bulletin under the college and career center tab. Students can find volunteer, job, and internship opportunities as well as scholarships and more. Please encourage your students to check it out.

From the MVHS Sports Boosters:

Spartan Turkey Trot Registration is Open

Thursday, November 23, 2017, 8:30 am

Registration for the 8th Annual Spartan Turkey Trot is now open. Our community event – a 5k run/walk, Spartan Mile and 60m/400m kids’ race – has become a holiday tradition for all ages. This year, we are introducing timing chips on the running bibs. Exact run times be recorded and available on line the day of the race. The event takes place locally at our very own MVHS Track. Bring the whole family and be home in plenty of time to put the turkey in the oven! 100% of the proceeds benefit MVHS athletics.

From the Music Department

Chamber Concert

Mark your calendar for Thursday, November 16 and join us at 7 pm in the Spartan Theater for the Fall Chamber Concert. Our MVHS student musicians will present a program of solos, duets and small ensembles in a range of musical genres.  Admission is free. Come enjoy this showcase of our Spartan musical talent!

Holiday Sing-along Dec 3

Join us for a Holiday Treat:  our MVHS Wind Ensemble will kick off the holiday season with a festive sing-along concert for all ages on Sunday, Dec. 3, 4 pm, in the Spartan Theater.  Friends and family can join together to sing seasonal favorites accompanied by the wind ensemble.  Ticket prices of $10 adults ($5 children 12 and under) includes a booklet of song lyrics and refreshments at intermission.  All proceeds benefit MVHS Instrumental Music and scholarship fund for our upcoming tours.  Buy your tickets early at mvsingalong.eventbrite.com.  We expect this event to sell out, but if any tickets are left, we will sell them at the door.

From MVLA Speech and Debate

MVLA Speech and Debate News

All meetings are 7-9 pm on Wednesdays in the Mountain View High School Library.  We have over a dozen different events so there is one that’s right for you -- debate, explicate, dramatize, and employ humor.  Join us Wednesdays from 7-9 pm at the MVHS Library!

Any students who have an interest in participating in Speech & Debate, please come to the meeting– there’s no obligation and with so many events and different coaches, we definitely have an event that you would enjoy - and we have a blast at our meetings.

Discurso y Debate MVLA

Todas las juntas son de 7-9 pm los miércoles en la escuela preparatoria de Mountain View en la biblioteca.  Tenemos más de una docena de eventos y con esto hay una apropiada para usted-venga al discurso, hable, explique, dramatice y use el humor.   ¡Venga con nosotros los miércoles de 7-9pm en la biblioteca de MVHS!

Estudiantes que tengan interés en participar en el Discurso y Debate, por favor venir a la junta-no hay ninguna obligación y con tantos eventos y entrenadores diferentes, nosotros definitivamente tenemos un evento del cual podrá disfrutar.  También nos divertimos mucho en nuestras juntas.

From the Grad Night Committee

It is Chipotle Night! We are excited to announce the MVHS Grad Night Fundraiser at CHIPOTLE on Thursday, Nov. 16 from 5-10 pm at 1039 El Monte Ave. location in Mountain View.

Funds raised will go toward Grad Night Scholarships.  Please bring the attached flyer so that MVHS Grad Night receives the proceeds from the dinner sales.

Thank you and have fun at Chipotle!

Any questions, please contact Erin Eggleton at eeggleton@xxxxxxxxx or

Jill Lillie at lilliepadusa@xxxxxxxxx

From the PTSA

PTSA Newsletter

MVHS parents and students,

Attached to this Gazette is your PTSA's newsletter that highlights what we have all accomplished together as a community since this school year started.

Thank you for supporting the PTSA!

Spartans Pause—Save the Date: Dec. 6-15

The Spartans Pause student wellness program was created and funded by the PTSA and is made possible by the support of wonderful parent and community volunteers. Spartans Pause aims to encourage all students to pause to take care of themselves in the week before winter and spring finals. This winter, students can enjoy nutritious before-school snacks and fun lunchtime activities such as chilling with therapy dogs and farm animals, decorating cookies, and making giant bubbles. There is also yoga, massage, and make-your-own de-stress balls for stress relief, a drum circle for connecting with one another, and mini service projects to foster compassion, including writing holiday cards to victims of recent disasters.

Look for more information in November about volunteering and donating supplies. For questions, please contact Spartans Pause Co Chairs, Laura Norris (laura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and Kammy Lo (kammy.lo@xxxxxxxxx). Thank you for supporting student wellness!

Snack Bar and Pizza Cart volunteers are needed
Volunteers are needed monthly to help with the Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.  Not only is it a fun way to volunteer, but we feed hungry kids and it helps raise funds for Senior Grad Night. Shifts are just once a month, though parents can sign up for as many shifts as they like.  There are just a few slots left open for volunteers for both Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.

Please sign up to help if you are interested, or even just fill in as a sub as needed.
https://docs.google.com

The PTSA also has several volunteer positions opens to help with Staff Appreciation, Incoming Freshman programs and New Family Liaisons.  If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Marilyn Stanley at
marilynb@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7 am - 4 pm daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7 de la mañana hasta las 4 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center.'  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Qualified volunteer tutors, i.e., anyone with a bachelors or higher degree, are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request.

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  http://www.mvla.net/ MVHS/Department/27-Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.