Message Archive for mvhs-times

Grissom's Gazette

Sent: Fri Oct 27, 2017 • 3:30 PM PDT
From: Grissom, David
  • To: mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS
  • Subject: Grissom's Gazette
  • From: "Grissom, David" <david.grissom (at) MVLA>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 15:29:36 -0700
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=mvla-net.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=ULnz5uTtKF+VzOYiHyq9lk8aTQoTgsQggzTOnoDcgT4=; b=x7qlUQCGDprDgFSoLgjj9t9VXj93WKFJyl346YiVd2ZkOs5gyuG9xLlyCYKaWMaUbA 13nTKlL2Ery9vyEILaiyZJEhheV/jh2UXaL6fhY8OpU9S3N1g78uM9yKiZptkZHwTvVY I+LKTbxUv/WZ11Y9KIWXnUIHN2/uc6pJ3mizIs2uWYJQqgfpKS6kEJvLXhwYhTbVro6L 0e1RZqQ1dsHZFD/ITYXg6BZRKs+k+X0Yoh85Z/U0YfqAlF0JZwz55y98zQL3+qijekOF M5gzE3D1wnZYIT5MKlYnMz0FHJ5L2GBiYiIcHGv9MPUWczt2Qbtfzq5zqT47+PFHO8eL JxvQ==
  • Sender: <mvhs-times (at) MVHS ELISTS>

Grissom's Gazette

Friday, October 27, 2017

UPCOMING EVENTS

Tuesday, October 31

Haunted House, Alta Vista HS, 2:30 – 4:30 pm

Monday, November 6

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Thursday, November 9

Fall Play, Theatre, 8 pm

Friday, November 10

Veteran’s Day Holiday, No School

Fall Play, Theatre, 8 pm

Saturday, November 11

Fall Play, Theatre, 8 pm

Saturday, November 18

Renaissance Concert, Small Gym, 6pm

Sunday, November 19

Renaissance Concert, Small Gym, 2 pm & 4:30 pm

Monday, November 20

Board Meeting, DO Board Room, 7 pm

Wednesday, Nov. 22

Teacher Service Day, NO SCHOOL

Thursday, November 23

Thanksgiving, NO SCHOOL

Friday, November 24

Thanksgiving Holiday, NO SCHOOL

December 6 – 15

 Spartans Pause

Welcome to Mountain View High School for 2017-2018!

Grissom’s Gazette is a bi-weekly bulletin from Principal Dave Grissom that is sent to parents, students, and families who subscribe by e-list.  It is distributed to provide information about the school, and community activities that follow.  Subscribe to these e-lists by going to http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/ .

Principal’s Message

Happy Friday!

I would like to thank each and every member of our STEM Committee for a wonderful STEM Week at Mountain View High School.  The week actually began last Thursday and Friday with Hour of Coding exercises in Biology classes.  This activities this week included hands-on activities in the quad during lunch that were both Science and Engineering related, Mole Day, and our STEM Speakers that spoke today.

The STEM speakers listed below come from a variety of STEM fields and backgrounds.  Each one of them was entertaining and engaging.  Students that I spoke to reported that they loved what they heard and saw.  The speakers for the day were:

1st Period Danielle Feinberg: Pixar

2nd Period Frank Cascarano: Foothill (Physics)

3rd Period Jill Helms: Stanford (Med-Tech)

4th Period Michael John: UCSC, Games & Playable Media Masters Program

5th Period Stanley Yang: CEO NeuroSky, Brain Waves, and Gaming Devices

6th Period Christopher Gardner: Stanford, Nutrition

7th Period Ana Maria Tarano: Stanford/NASA, Unconventional Paths in STEM

On another note, the fall sports season is beginning to wind down.  For those athletes that are completing their seasons, I hope that it has been a wonderful experience.  On the athletic front, our football team will be playing Los Altos on Saturday.  The ASB at Los Altos will be having a Relief Drive for those that have been affected by the wildfires in the North Bay.  If a student brings diapers, pull-ups, or toiletries to the game, they will be admitted free of charge.  Please encourage your student to bring these items if they are planning on going to the game.

Have a great weekend!

MVHS Day of the Dead Celebration

We are continuing our tradition of this celebration and invite you to our Dia de los Muertos event here in MVHS Cafeteria on November 3, at 5:30 pm. Please join us!

Continuando con esta linda tradición, le invitamos a celebrar El Dia de Los Muertos, aqui en la Cafeteria de MVHS, el 3 de Noviembre a las 5:30 pm.  Acompañenos!

2017-2018 MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series

Real American

Please join us as Julie Lythcott-Haims, author of How to Raise an Adult, talks about what it means to be a real American, her experiences with racism and micro-aggressions, and what we can do to foster greater understanding and compassion for individual differences in our racially and culturally diverse community.  Her new memoir, Real American, was just released on October 3.

To register:  https://mvla2017-julielythcott-haims.eventbrite.com

Tuesday, November 14, 7 pm - Mountain View High School Spartan Theatre​

​The attached flyer provides​​ additional details.

Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors, admission is free to MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series events.

From the College and Career Center

FAFSA Night for Senior Parents

Our FAFSA presentation will be held this Wednesday, November 1, 2017 starting at 6 pm in the Spartan Theater. If you have questions, please contact Jessica Yazdani at Jessica.Yazdani (at) MVLA

Need Help Submitting the FAFSA?

MVHS will be hosting a Cash for College workshop on November 14th from 3 – 7 pm. Financial aid experts will be available to help students and their parents submit the FAFSA.

New College and Career Website

The College and Career Center has a brand new website this year. You can access it by going to the MVHS website and choosing NEW College and Career Bulletin under the college and career center tab. Students can find volunteer, job, and internship opportunities as well as scholarships and more. Please encourage your students to check it out.

Mountain View and Alta Vista High School Sponsored Haunted House

Hey Mountain View Students and Families!  Like tradition, we will be hosting a haunted house this year!  This year, we are collaborating with Alta Vista High.

The haunted house will take place at Alta Vista High's MPR (Multi Purpose Room), on two days:

Friday 6-8 pm ($2 a ticket), and Tuesday 2:30-4 pm (Free for students!)

We will be selling food and drinks, and the house is welcome for all ages!

Come have a great time and get spooked! See you there! (Flyers attached)

From the MVHS Sports Boosters:

Spartan Turkey Trot Registration is Open

Thursday, November 23, 2017, 8:30 am

Registration for the 8th Annual Spartan Turkey Trot is now open. Our community event – a 5k run/walk, Spartan Mile and 60m/400m kids’ race – has become a holiday tradition for all ages. This year, we are introducing timing chips on the running bibs. Exact run times be recorded and available on line the day of the race. The event takes place locally at our very own MVHS Track. Bring the whole family and be home in plenty of time to put the turkey in the oven! 100% of the proceeds benefit MVHS athletics.

Communication Health Interactive for Parents and Others (CHIPAO)- Parent-Teen Communication Workshop

Have you ever felt like you and your teenager are constantly fighting? Do you worry about having difficult conversations?

We would like to invite you to join us for an important community event addressing Asian-American and Latino parenting challenges. All parents are welcome. Scripted scenarios addressing adolescent stressors, challenges, and difficult topics commonly seen in East Asian, South Asian, and Latino families will be performed by volunteer actors. These scenarios will be followed by an opportunity for discussion.

Parents are asked to attend without children in order to create an environment for honest discussions about parent-teen communication challenges.

The event will be held Thursday, November 2, 2017, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Los Altos High School Eagle Theatre.

Produced by Stanford CHIPAO, a group formed out of Stanford Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences. For more information about Stanford CHIPAO, please see attached flyer, go to:
www.stanfordchipao.com or email stanfordchipao@xxxxxxxxx.

From MVLA Speech and Debate

MVLA Speech and Debate News

All meetings are 7-9 pm on Wednesdays in the Mountain View High School Library.  We have over a dozen different events so there is one that’s right for you -- debate, explicate, dramatize, and employ humor.  Join us Wednesdays from 7-9 pm at the MVHS Library!

Any students who have an interest in participating in Speech & Debate, please come to the meeting– there’s no obligation and with so many events and different coaches, we definitely have an event that you would enjoy - and we have a blast at our meetings.

Discurso y Debate MVLA

Todas las juntas son de 7-9 pm los miércoles en la escuela preparatoria de Mountain View en la biblioteca.  Tenemos más de una docena de eventos y con esto hay una apropiada para usted-venga al discurso, hable, explique, dramatice y use el humor.   ¡Venga con nosotros los miércoles de 7-9pm en la biblioteca de MVHS!

Estudiantes que tengan interés en participar en el Discurso y Debate, por favor venir a la junta-no hay ninguna obligación y con tantos eventos y entrenadores diferentes, nosotros definitivamente tenemos un evento del cual podrá disfrutar.  También nos divertimos mucho en nuestras juntas.

From the PTSA

Spartans Pause—Save the Date: Dec. 6-15

The Spartans Pause student wellness program was created and funded by the PTSA and is made possible by the support of wonderful parent and community volunteers. Spartans Pause aims to encourage all students to pause to take care of themselves in the week before winter and spring finals. This winter, students can enjoy nutritious before-school snacks and fun lunchtime activities such as chilling with therapy dogs and farm animals, decorating cookies, and making giant bubbles. There is also yoga, massage, and make-your-own de-stress balls for stress relief, a drum circle for connecting with one another, and mini service projects to foster compassion, including writing holiday cards to victims of recent disasters.

Look for more information in November about volunteering and donating supplies. For questions, please contact Spartans Pause Co Chairs, Laura Norris (laura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and Kammy Lo (kammy.lo@xxxxxxxxx). Thank you for supporting student wellness!

​​

Snack Bar and Pizza Cart volunteers are needed

Volunteers are needed monthly to help with the Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.  Not only is it a fun way to volunteer, but we feed hungry kids and it helps raise funds for Senior Grad Night. Shifts are just once a month, though parents can sign up for as many shifts as they like.  There are just a few slots left open for volunteers for both Pizza Cart and Snack Bar.

Please sign up to help if you are interested, or even just fill in as a sub as needed.
https://docs.google.com

The PTSA also has several volunteer positions opens to help with Staff Appreciation, Incoming Freshman programs and New Family Liaisons.  If you have questions or would like more information, please contact Marilyn Stanley at
marilynb@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

From the Tutorial Center

Academic Help for All Students

Encourage your student to use the Tutorial Center in the library. Students at every level benefit from individual and group help, offered 7 am - 4 pm daily. Parent/community volunteers, college and peer tutors, and an instructional aide assist students by appointment or on a drop-in basis in any and all academic areas.

El Centro Tutorial está abierto de las 7 de la mañana hasta las 4 de la tarde en la biblioteca. Todos los estudiantes están bienvenidos a estudiar y recibir ayuda. Los tutores están disponible durante el día. Se cubren todos las temas académicos. Los horarios de tutores disponibles se anuncian en el Centro Tutorial, la oficina de Aconsejo, y en las clases.

Volunteer Tutor Schedules & Private Tutor Directory Available!

Students and parents may find volunteer tutors available for each subject, on our school web site at http://www.mvla.net.

Simply navigate to the MVHS Home Page, and click on ‘Tutorial Center.'  However, the latest Volunteer Tutor Schedule is always posted in the Tutorial Center.  Since tutors and schedules are continually being modified, parents and students should contact the center for the latest information on volunteer tutors available.

Volunteer Tutors Needed

Qualified volunteer tutors, i.e., anyone with a bachelors or higher degree, are always needed, especially bilingual (Spanish, French, Mandarin & Japanese). Parents of Mountain View students are especially appreciated and make good tutors—especially of other parents’ children! Hours are flexible. Training is provided on the job. We maintain a private tutor referral list on request.

MVHS ATHLETICS

Please check out the MVLA webpage
to find out more about all of our athletic events.

General information:  http://www.mvla.net/ MVHS/Department/27-Athletics

Specific sport information can be found on the left-hand side of this page.

GO SPARTANS!

Daily Bulletin is Online!

If you want to read the student news in the Daily Bulletin, click here.