Message Archive for club-speech-debate

Speech & Debate Donations & Tournament Congratulations

Sent: Wed Mar 28, 2018 • 10:03 AM PDT
From: weatherby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Speech & Debate Donations & Tournament Congratulations

Dear Speech & Debate Fans,

-          The Team Needs Your Donation: Have you donated yet?

-          Tournament Congratulations!!  Berkeley High, SCU Spring Philatelic

The Team Needs Your Donation: Have you donated yet?  We are behind on donations this year – and you get the opportunity for a tax deduction while helping pay for the great benefits provided to your student.  Our Club is primarily funded by the parents!  Our District provides some stipends to help with Event Coaches and our team parents work hard on fundraising, but we need everyone to contribute their “fair share”.  Our funds go toward registration fees for tournaments, dues to Speech & Debate associations and to pay our Head Coach, other coaching resources, and team infrastructure.  (See the attached form for details on mailing your check).

What are the benefits for your student & our team?

Ø  Each team member is part of a 100+ person strong team that allows them to try different Speech & Debate events and be as active as they wish

Ø  Wednesday night meetings provide a minimum of 64 hours of coaching, instruction & practice over the course of the school year.  Active students can earn academic credit

Ø  Tournament fees run between $15-$125 per tournament per person (with additional fees for the school’s registration) and student fees are covered for all league tournaments and selected invitationals, as indicated on our General Team Calendar

Ø  Student and school membership fees are paid to the main Speech & Debate organizations and students can earn National Forensic League points that lead to honors when they graduate

No one will ever be turned away due to financial hardship as one of our principles is inclusion and learning for everyone.

Ø  If every family could contribute $395, we can ensure that the program remains strong.

Ø  If you are a family that is fortunate to have resources, please consider donating for your child as well as a “scholarship” for a child whose family may not be able to afford to donate.

Tournament Congratulations:

At the Berkeley High Parli Invitational, in JV Avi Gerber and Bill Shao went 4-1 and Elias Shustock was 3rd speaker.  In Varsity: Jodie Bhattacharya and Javin Pombra went 4-1. William Zeng and Shirley Cheng closed the tournament out.

At the SCU Spring Philalethic Invitational the MVLA team had great success!

In Speech, Manasi Sastry was a semifinalist in Open Original Oratory, Ethan Huang was 5th in Novice Extemp and Evan Fine was a semifinalist in Open Oral Interpretation.

In Open LD, Sophia Hwang was an octofinalist and Annemarie Foy, Nitin Kumar, and Amelie Sen were double octofinalists.  Payton Fong was 4th speaker and Nitin Kumar was 8th speaker.

In Novice LD, Mikki Salkola, Evan Fine, and Janya Sundar closed out the division. Evan Fine was 2nd speaker and Alexander Eckinger was 5th speaker

In Open Parli, Ilona Lahdeskmaki & Divya Jakatdar were semifinalists, Shirley Cheng & Tamur Asar were quarterfinalists, Ryan Lee & William Zeng and Jodie Bhattacharya & Javin Pombra were double octofinalists.  Ryan Lee was 6th speaker.

In Open PF, Frank Zhou and Henry Lee were octfinalists. In Novice PF, Rebecca Pan & Anthony Jin were quarterfinalists and Vivek Chudasama & Ben Falkenburg were octofinalists.  Hitha Bollu & Elena Atluri were double octofinalists and Rebecca Pan was 3rd speaker.

Congratulations to all!

Tracy Weatherby

Speech & Debate Parent Volunteer

Note: If you would like to be removed from this newsletter, go to the eList link for the appropriate high school (if you go to neither school, your subscription will likely be under Los Altos) and follow the instructions to view and change your subscription.

Mountain View High School eList: http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/

Los Altos High School eList: http://lahs.elists.mvla.net/