Message Archive for club-speech-debate

Donate to the Team -- plus Tournament Results!

Sent: Wed Mar 14, 2018 • 10:15 PM PDT
From: weatherby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Donate to the Team -- plus Tournament Results!

Dear Speech & Debate Fans,

-          The Team Needs Your Donation: Have you donated yet?

-          Tournament Congratulations!!  State Tournament, Rotary & Western

The Team Needs Your Donation: Have you donated yet?  We are behind on donations this year – and you get the opportunity for a tax deduction while helping pay for the great benefits provided to your student.  Our Club is primarily funded by the parents!  Our District provides some stipends to help with Event Coaches and our team parents work hard on fundraising, but we need everyone to contribute their “fair share”.  Our funds go toward registration fees for tournaments, dues to Speech & Debate associations and to pay our Head Coach, other coaching resources, and team infrastructure.  (See the attached form for details on mailing your check).

What are the benefits for your student & our team?

Ø  Each team member is part of a 100+ person strong team that allows them to try different Speech & Debate events and be as active as they wish

Ø  Wednesday night meetings provide a minimum of 64 hours of coaching, instruction & practice over the course of the school year.  Active students can earn academic credit

Ø  Tournament fees run between $15-$125 per tournament per person (with additional fees for the school’s registration) and student fees are covered for all league tournaments and selected invitationals, as indicated on our General Team Calendar

Ø  Student and school membership fees are paid to the main Speech & Debate organizations and students can earn National Forensic League points that lead to honors when they graduate

No one will ever be turned away due to financial hardship as one of our principles is inclusion and learning for everyone.

Ø  If every family could contribute $395, we can ensure that the program remains strong.

Ø  If you are a family that is fortunate to have resources, please consider donating for your child as well as a “scholarship” for a child whose family may not be able to afford to donate.

Tournament Congratulations:

Emma Kwan & Ashley Cai qualified to the State Tournament in Public Forum and Sophia Hwang qualified in Impromptu.  Good luck at the State Tournament!

In the Rotary Speech Area Contest, Lisa Deng took first place (and won $200) and Jia Seow was a Finalist.  Lisa moves on to the Regional contest, to be held Tuesday, April 3, hosted by Mountain View Rotary.

At the Western tournament, the team had a lot of success.  In JV Public Forum, Julia Chang with Andrew Mo and Gage Rodriguez with Erik Zhang were quarterfinalists.  Andrew was 3rd speaker and Julie was 5th.  In Novice Public Forum, Rebecca Pan and Anthony Jin were octofinalists.  In JV Lincoln Douglas, Amelie Sen was a quarterfinalist.  In Novice LD, Alexander Eckinger was an octofinalist and 3rd speaker, Mikko Salkola was quarterfinalist and Joey Ismael was a semifinalist.

Congratulations to all!

Tracy Weatherby

Speech & Debate Parent Volunteer

Note: If you would like to be removed from this newsletter, go to the eList link for the appropriate high school (if you go to neither school, your subscription will likely be under Los Altos) and follow the instructions to view and change your subscription.

Mountain View High School eList: http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/

Los Altos High School eList: http://lahs.elists.mvla.net/