Message Archive for club-speech-debate

Speech & Debate Newsletter

Sent: Mon Feb 26, 2018 • 2:44 PM PST
From: weatherby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Speech & Debate Newsletter

Dear Speech & Debate Fans,

-          Keep the Team Going: Have you donated to the team?

-          Judge Training & Sample Student Debates – now on-line!

-          Tournament Congratulations!!

Keep the Team Going: Have you donated? We are behind on donations this year – and you get the opportunity for a tax deduction while helping pay for the great benefits provided to your student.  Our Club is primarily funded by the parents!  Our District provides some stipends to help with Event Coaches and our team parents work hard on fundraising, but we need everyone to contribute their “fair share”.  Our funds go toward registration fees for tournaments, dues to Speech & Debate associations and to pay our Head Coach, other coaching resources, and team infrastructure.  (See the attached form for details on mailing your check).

What are the benefits for your student & our team?

Ø  Each team member is part of a 100+ person strong team that allows them to try different Speech & Debate events and be as active as they wish

Ø  Wednesday night meetings provide a minimum of 64 hours of coaching, instruction & practice over the course of the school year.  Active students can earn academic credit

Ø  Tournament fees run between $15-$125 per tournament per person (with additional fees for the school’s registration) and student fees are covered for all league tournaments and selected invitationals, as indicated on our General Team Calendar

Ø  Student and school membership fees are paid to the main Speech & Debate organizations and students can earn National Forensic League points that lead to honors when they graduate

No one will ever be turned away due to financial hardship as one of our principles is inclusion and learning for everyone.

Ø  If every family could contribute $395, we can ensure that the program remains strong.

Ø  If you are a family that is fortunate to have resources, please consider donating for your child as well as a “scholarship” for a child whose family may not be able to afford to donate.

Judge Training & Sample Student Debates – now on-line!  You can find judge training videos as well as two sample debates on MVLA Speech & Debate’s new YouTube channel.  So enjoy on your own schedule (you can forward through to get to sample debates): https://youtu.be/fXthC5B8EeA

Tournament Congratulations:  Lots of tournaments and lots of success to report!

At the Martin Luther King tournament, in Parliamentary Debate, Ryan Lee and his partner were quarterfinalists, Tamur Asar & Frank Zhou were double-octafinalists, William Zeng & Alex Wong were seminfinalists and Javin Pombra & Shirley Cheng were finalists.  In Public Forum, Emma Kwan & Ashley Cai, Megan Liu & Sierra Howard, and Andrew Mo & Julia Chang were triple octafinalists.  In Lincoln Douglas, Nitin Kumar and Arjun Patrawala were triple octafinalists.

At CFL, Evan Fine was a semi-finalist in both Oratorical Interpretation and Impromptu.  Julia Yin & Ananya Venkatraman were undefeated in Open Public Forum.

At Harvard-Westlake, Varun Paranjpe was a triple octafinalist and Maya Sanghavi was a double octafinalist.

At the Milpitas tournament, MVLA had great success.  In Novice Lincoln Douglas, Joey Ismael placed 2nd and was 2nd speaker.  In Varsity, Sophia Hwang was a semifinalist  and Nitin Kumar was an octafinalist. In Novice, Amir Tadros was 1st place and was first speaker.  Amit Reddy was 8th speaker.

 In Varsity Public Forum, Emma Kwan and Ashley Cai were the champions.  Jiayan Luo and Franklin Ruan were octafinalists and were 4th and 5th speakers respectively.  In Novice Public Forum, Anthony Jin with Rebecca Pan and Natalie Tran with Allison Hong placed 6th and 10th.

In Varsity Parli, William Zeng & Shirley Cheng were finalists.  Javin Pombra & Jodie Bhattacharya were octafinalists.  William was 3rd speaker and Javin was 4th

In Speech, Evan Fine was the champion of oratorical interp and semifinalist in Impromptu.  Sophia Hwang was a finalist in Impromptu in 4th place.

At Emory, Varun Paranjpe and Maya Sanghavi were double octafinalists in Lincoln-Douglas.

At the Los Altos Rotary Club Speech contest, Jia Seow took first place and Sophia Hwang took 2nd.  Jia will advance to the Rotary Area contest.  At the Mountain View Rotary speech contest, Lisa Deng took first place, Evan Fine took 2nd and Payton Fong and Charles Xu were 3rd and 4th.

At the Golden Desert tournament, Partha Dhanotra was a double-octafinalist and Maya Sanghavi was an octafinalist.

At the California Round Robin, Ashley Cai and Emma Kwan placed third in Public Forum.  They were also were octafinalists at Berkeley and earned their third bid to the Tournament of Champions.  Varun Paranjpe was a double-octafinalist in Lincoln-Douglas and Maya Sanghavi was an octafinalist, earning a bid to the Tournament of Champions.

At Nueva, in Parliamentary, Tamur Asar and Javin Pombra were semifinalists in Varsity and in JV, Nitin Kumar and Amir Tadros were undefeated.  Maya Bryan was third speaker.

At CFL, Anthony Jin and Rebecca Pan were undefeated in JV Public Forum.

At the Stewart Invitational, Sophia Hwang took 4th in Impromptu and Evan Fine was a semi-finalist in Impromptu and took 1st place in Oratorical Interp.

Congratulations to all!

Tracy Weatherby

Speech & Debate Parent Volunteer

Note: If you would like to be removed from this newsletter, go to the eList link for the appropriate high school (if you go to neither school, your subscription will likely be under Los Altos) and follow the instructions to view and change your subscription.

Mountain View High School eList: http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/

Los Altos High School eList: http://lahs.elists.mvla.net/