Message Archive for club-speech-debate

Speech & Debate Newsletter

Sent: Sat Dec 9, 2017 • 1:00 PM PST
From: weatherby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Speech & Debate Newsletter

Dear Speech & Debate Fans,

-          Year End Reminder: Have you donated to the team?

-          Tournament Congratulations!!

Have you donated? We are behind on donations this year – and you get the opportunity for a year-end tax deduction while helping pay for the great benefits provided to your student.  Our Club is primarily funded by the parents!  Our District provides some stipends to help with Event Coaches and our team parents work hard on fundraising, but we need everyone to contribute their “fair share”.  Our funds go toward registration fees for tournaments, dues to Speech & Debate associations and to pay our Head Coach, other coaching resources, and team infrastructure.  (See the attached form for details on mailing your check).

What are the benefits for your student & our team?

Ø  Each team member is part of a 100+ person strong team that allows them to try different Speech & Debate events and be as active as they wish

Ø  Wednesday night meetings provide a minimum of 64 hours of coaching, instruction & practice over the course of the school year.  Active students can earn academic credit

Ø  Tournament fees run between $15-$125 per tournament per person (with additional fees for the school’s registration) and student fees are covered for all league tournaments and selected invitationals, as indicated on our General Team Calendar

Ø  Student and school membership fees are paid to the main Speech & Debate organizations and students can earn National Forensic League points that lead to honors when they graduate

No one will ever be turned away due to financial hardship as one of our principles is inclusion and learning for everyone.

Ø  If every family could contribute $395, we can ensure that the program remains strong.

Ø  If you are a family that is fortunate to have resources, please consider donating for your child as well as a “scholarship” for a child whose family may not be able to afford to donate.

Tournament Congratulations: The team has been very active, having tons of fun, and lots of success.  Several notable achievements are that Alex Wong & William Zeng won the Open Parli division at Santa Clara, Shirley Cheng & Ryan Lee won the Notre Dame Varsity Parli tournament.   And the MVLA team was 2nd in Team Sweepstakes at the National Parliamentary Debate Invitational (NPDI)

St Francis: Sophia Hwang and Payton Fong were octafinalists in Lincoln-Douglas Debate.

Notre Dame: Divya Jakatdar and Illona Lahdesmaki went 4-1 in the novice division of Parliamentary Debate. Shirley Cheng and Ryan Lee WON varsity and were first and second speakers respectively – and they qualified for the Parliamentary Debate Tournament of Champions. Zooey Nguyen was 5th speaker.

Valley Mid America Tournament : Varun Paranjpe was an octafinalist in Lincoln-Douglas Debate. He was 4th speaker and a quarter finalist at Presentation, qualifying for the Tournament of Champions.  Parth Dhanotra was a double octafinalist.

Cal Parli: Ashwin Chugh reached quarters in JV Lincoln-Douglas.

Yale University: Alex Wong and William Zeng were octafinalists in Parliamentary. Javin Pombra and Danny Vesurai were semifinalists and Danny was 4th speaker.  Maya Sanghavi was a triple octafinalist in Lincoln-Douglas.  William and his partner were also quarterfinalists at Cal Parli Invitational.

Harker: Ashley Cai and Emma Kwan were semifinalists in Public Forum Debate and earned a gold bid to Public Forum Tournament of Champions.

CFL Individual Events:  In Novice Speech, Evan Fine broke in TWO EVENTS!  He was a semifinalist in Oratorical Interpretation and took 2nd in Impromptu.  In Open, Eunice Yang and Sophia Hwang were semifinalists in Impromptu.

Santa Clara University: In Open Parli: Javin Pombra and Danny Vesurai were quarterfinalists and Alex Wong and William Zeng won the tournament; William was 6th speaker.  In Open Public Forum: Jiayan Luo and Franklin Ruan were double octafinalists and Ashley Cai & Emma Kwan and Gage Rodriguez & Erik Zhang were octafinalists.  In Open LD, Sophia Hwang was an octafinalist. In Novice Public Forum Claire Duvillier and Maria Mihaila were 4th and 8th speaker.  In Novice LD, Ken Vandeventer was an octafinalist, Arjun Patrawala was a semifinalist; Ken was 11th speaker

CFL: Amelie Sen was undefeated in JV LD.

University of the Pacific: Ryan Lee and Tamur Asar were octafinalists and William Zeng and Alex Wong were quarterfinalists. William and Ryan were in the top 10 speakers.

NPDI: Ryan Lee and Varun Paranjpe were semifinalists; Javin Pombra and Danny Vesurai were quarterfinalists. William Zeng and Alex Wong were octafinalists, Jodie Bhattacharya and Zooey Nguyen and Tamur Asar and Evan Si were double

octafinalists. Illona Lahdesmaki and Divya Jakatdar were JV double octafinalists. The team won second in sweepstakes!

Presentation Novice: Stella Huang and Daniel Casares-Iglesias were 5-1 and Anthony Jin and Rebecca Pan were 4-2.

Novice Debate at Washington: We had two undefeated teams in Novice Parli -- Caroline Cheng & Maya Bryan, and Divya Jakatdar & Ilona Lahdesmaki.

Congratulations to all!  Hope you all have a happy holiday season.

Tracy Weatherby

Speech & Debate Parent Volunteer

Note: If you would like to be removed from this newsletter, go to the eList link for the appropriate high school (if you go to neither school, your subscription will likely be under Los Altos) and follow the instructions to view and change your subscription.

Mountain View High School eList: http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/

Los Altos High School eList: http://lahs.elists.mvla.net/