Message Archive for club-speech-debate

Speech & Debate Parent Volunteers Needed!

Sent: Mon Jul 17, 2017 • 12:28 PM PDT
From: weatherby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "club-speech-debate (at) MVLA" <club-speech-debate (at) MVLA>, "club-speech-debate (at) MVHS ELISTS" <club-speech-debate (at) MVHS ELISTS>
  • Subject: Speech & Debate Parent Volunteers Needed!
  • From: "weatherby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <weatherby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 19:28:04 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=NETORG2081747.onmicrosoft.com; s=selector1-activeingredient-com; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version; bh=2XeGnfDrvpw1BDts6pXy6lLpWpuQD7gUtR1A3L1Smvw=; b=OaFTPdz2H66rv1+TUQbP3g/A1/x3IVHEqp7J6D8dJRmQub/Bp2KjwKwQKof45kvvIhPmU8+aPKZrs/q4eZkUL0Pn6/MRirTue4dyVinJL102q1+MkKUQAbi40IW1ATibOTebeDsc56fl22QnPsJ4aPVkNlkklnDUo54kTszZGpA=
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Speech & Debate Parent Volunteers Needed!

Dear Speech & Debate Community,

Volunteers Needed!

Head Coach Julie Herman and the student leadership are gearing up for the Speech & Debate year ahead.  We need your help.  If you have a student involved in Speech & Debate and have only done judging, we need your help to keep the team running. The manpower required to run our 150-person Speech & Debate team is tremendous, but if we all pitch it, it doesn’t take much from each volunteer and it makes the whole team function so our students can have this opportunity.   We have several urgent openings.  Please let us know how you can assist! All jobs are easily done from home and the timing is completely flexible except where noted:

-          Volunteer Coordinator: Help develop and cement relationships with our parent volunteers by reaching out when coaches have a need. Maintain lists of potential parent volunteers and communicate where appropriate.  Manage existing Room Monitor volunteer group schedule for each Wednesday night meeting.

-          Demo Day Hosts (2): On Sat, Sept 9, help manage logistics of the Demo Day we host for our local Speech & Debate District organization. This is a full day event at LAHS  for parents and students from the District.  We need help organizing our student volunteers to bring and sell food, copy materials, handle registration and guide guests as to where they should be.

-          Travel Tournament Coordinator:  We regularly send groups of 4-12 students to overnight travel tournaments around California and sometimes out of state.  We need someone to organize these travel arrangements.  We know there are people who love making travel plans and hunting for bargains out there – let us know who you are!  If your student is one of the ones who often want to travel, please consider volunteering for this position.

-          Website Programmer:  Assistant Coach Teri Young and her husband Doug are designing a brand-new, highly automated website for both parents and students.  We will launch this fall (stay tuned!) and we need a parent who is interested in helping to continue to evolve this PHP-based project.

-          Judge Coordinators:  Judge Coordinators are crucial to the team as they ensure we have sufficient judges at each tournament to allow our students to compete. We are always trying to spread around the duties and train assistants who can take over in the future.  This job is getting more automated every day and mostly involves emailing and tracking. It is a fun position as you get to know the students and parents in your student’s event.

-          Videographer: We have several events, including Demo Day, which would be helpful to record so that parents or students could review if they were not able to attend in person.  If you have a decent video set-up (lapel mikes, ability to edit, etc.), this would be a very valuable service to the team.

-          Wednesday Afternoon Copying:  We need someone to do copying at the MVHS office prior to their closing at 4PM, to be used at our 7PM meetings on Wednesdays.  Some weeks there will be little or no copying; other weeks will require a lot of copying.

-          NFL Points: Each student who competes in Speech & Debate earns points with the National Speech & Debate Association. This parent tallies the points and reports them to our national organizations.  This is a very flexible job, but fun because you can see how many students are benefitting from our team.  We are looking for a parent who is willing to be trained as a replacement for our long-time coordinator, Margaret Inui.

-          Room Monitors: We need parents who can occasionally sit in on our Wednesday evening meetings (7-9PM) when we need an adult supervising the room.   You can bring work or reading and are just there to cover school district regulations as the students don’t really require supervision.

Please let us know how you can help in order to keep our team running so the students can have this wonderful opportunity!

Tracy Weatherby

Parent Volunteer

Note: If you would like to be removed from this newsletter, go to the eList link for the appropriate high school (if you go to neither school, your subscription will likely be under Los Altos) and follow the instructions to view and change your subscription.

Mountain View High School eList: http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/

Los Altos High School eList: http://lahs.elists.mvla.net/