Message Archive for club-speech-debate

Speech & Debate - Showcase May 3 and ordering leis!

Sent: Tue Apr 18, 2017 • 10:14 AM PDT
From: weatherby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Speech & Debate - Showcase May 3 and ordering leis!

Dear Speech & Debate Community,

Welcome back from Spring Break!

The team has participated in 11 team tournaments this spring along with additional specialized tournaments.  See Tournament Congratulations for the 48 separate competitors who ‘broke’ to elimination rounds or received awards.  Our Parliamentary Team is #1 in the nation and ‘closed out’ the Parliamentary Tournament of Champions.  This semester alone, MVLA has brought home 14 different championships in several different events.

-      Come to Showcase on May 3rd, 7PM, MVHS Theatre

-      Order your leis – it supports the team!

-      Have you donated?

-      Tournament Congratulations

Please plan to attend our Speech & Debate Showcase and Awards, May 3rd, 7PM, MVHS Theatre -- an event for both parents and students.  You will be entertained seeing some of our most talented students showing us what they have done this year.  We will also celebrate our team’s accomplishments and unique characteristics.  Plus, there will be refreshments!  We look forward to seeing you.

Graduation Leis: Our team has a wonderful tradition of selling beautiful, fresh leis for  graduation. It makes graduation beautiful and it supports our team through fundraising. Order for your own student or their friends using the attached form (please use the correct form for your student’s school).  Leis are handed out as they walk into the gym at graduation

Have you donated?  Please remember that this club runs on donations. Your donations support the hiring of our Coaching Staff, provide a year’s worth of debate training on Wednesday nights, enrolls your student as a member of the National Speech & Debate Association, and provides entry fees for many tournaments.  No family is ever turned away from our team, so if you have the capability to donate, please do so generously.  Our suggested donation is $395, but please donate what you can.  Forms for donation can be found here:  https://sites.google.com/site/mvlaspeechanddebate/for-students/required-paperwork

Tournament Congratulations: What a Winter/Spring it has been for this team.  See below.

Wolfpack: In Parliamentary debate, all six of the MVLA teams made it to the Octofinal round – 1/3 of the total teams!  Congrats to Javin Pombra & Danny Vesurai, Jodie Bhattacharya & Zooey Nguyen and William Zeng & Alex WongRyan Lee and Shirley Cheng were quarterfinalists. Spencer Dembner and Lilly Hackworth were champions. Emma Kwan and Ashley Cai were quarterfinalists in Public Forum.

La Costa Canyon: In Parliamentary Debate, Spencer Dembner and Lilly Hackworth were champions.  William Zeng and Alex Wong were octofinalists.

College Prep & Harvard Westlake: In Lincoln-Douglas, Varun Paranjpe was a double-octofinalist.

MLK Tournament: MVLA took first in small school sweeps due to the number and strength of all our competitors. In Parliamentary Debate, MVLA had 3 of the 4 teams in Semifinals and two MVLA teams were co-champions -- Congrats to Ryan Lee & Shirley Cheng and Spencer Dembner & Lilly Hackworth.  Ryan and Shirley were the top seeds based on their performance this tournament (and Champions for the first time at a top Invitational!).  Danny Vesurai and Daenerys Pineda were semi-finalists.

Stephen Stewart Invitational: At the Stephen Stewart Invitational in Milpitas, MVLA Speech & Debate had the Championship teams in both Public Forum and Parliamentary debate.  Ashley Cai & Emma Kwan were Public Forum Champions and Julia Yin and Ananya Venkatraman were semifinalists. In Parliamentary, Spencer Dembner & Lilly Hackworth were champions, Danny Vesurai and Daenerys Pineda were semifinalists, Jeffrey Hong & William Zeng were quarterfinalists and Ryan Lee and Shirley Cheng were octofinalists.  William was 2nd speaker and Spencer was 4thEmma Kwan was 5th speaker in Public Forum and Sophia Hwang was 5th speaker in Lincoln-Douglas.

Los Altos Rotary Speech Competition: MVLA swept the top three places. Leah Lam won first place! Lisa Deng won 2nd place and Charles Xu was 3rd.  Leah also won first place in the Area contest.

U.C. Berkeley Parli Tournament: Tamur Asar & Evan Si were semifinalists in Novice.  In Varsity, William Zeng & Alex Wong were quarterfinalists and Spencer Dembner and Lilly Hackworth were Varsity semifinalists.

CFL Milpitas: Andrew Mo and Julia Chang were undefeated in JV Public Forum.

Mountain View Rotary Speech Contest: Sophia Hwang was 1st in the Mountain View contest and 2nd in the Area contest.  Alyssa Sun was 3rd in the Mountain View contest

Stanford Invitational: Sophia Hwang was a quarterfinalist in JV Impromptu.  In Public Forum, Jonathan Shi & Jeffrey Hong were triple octofinalists and Emma Kwan & Ashley Cai were octofinalists and received a gold bid to the Tournament of Champions.  Nisha Malley was a double octofinalist in JV Lincoln-Douglas. Derek Zhang was a quarterfinalist in Varsity Lincoln-Douglas and earned a Tournament of Champions bid.  In JV Parli, Tamur Asar and her partner were double octofinalists.  In Varsity Parli, Javin Pombra & Danny Vesurai were triple octofinalists, William Zeng & Alex Wong were double-octofinalists (and 3rd and 5th speaker) and Shirley Cheng & Ryan Lee were double octofinalists.  Spencer Dembner & Lilly Hackworth were Parli Champions and Spencer was 2nd speaker.

Cal Invitational at U.C. Berkeley: In Public Forum, Emma Kwan & Ashley Cai and Zooey Nguyen & Javin Pombra were double-octofinalists. Varun Paranjpe was a triple octofinalist in Lincoln Douglas debate.

CFL IE at Milpitas: Kiley Gruenberg was a semifinalist in Expos.

Western JV and Novice Debate Championship: Ashley Cai & Emma Kwan were the Champions in JV Public Forum.  Ashley was also first speaker!  Ananya Venkatraman and Julia Yin were Quarterfinalists.  In Novice PF, Julia Chang & Andrew Mo were quarterfinalists.  In Novice Lincoln Douglas, Parth Dhanotra was a Finalist while Josh Hejna was an octofinalist.  Nitin Kumar was an octofinalist in Lincoln-Douglas.

Lion’s Club Speech Contest: Leah Lam won the Palo Alto Club contest and took 2nd place at the Area contest.

6X4 Parli Tournament: Spencer Dembner & Lily Hackworth were the Champions of Blue and semifinalists in Red.  Tamur Asar & Evan Si were semifinalists in Blue Novice and the 1st and 2nd speakers.  Shirley Cheng & Ryan Lee were quarterfinalists in Blue Varsity and Shirley was 3rd speaker.

Santa Clara II: In Open Impromptu, Sophia Hwang was a Finalist and in Novice Impromptu, Patrick Baginski was a semifinalist.  In Novice Original Oratory, Michelle Parsons was a finalist. In Novice Expository, Kiley Gruenberg was a finalist.  Julie Sheridan was 3rd in Novice Original Prose & Poetry. Evan Fine took third place in Novice Oratorical Interpretation. Nathan Huang was the Champion in Novice Lincoln-Douglas. In Novice Public Forum Debate, Amelie Sen & Tanay Sonthalia were semifinalists and Erik Zhang & Gage Rodriguez were octofinalists. In Parliamentary Debate, Spencer Dembner & Lilly Hackworth were Champions and Spencer was 1st speaker.  Shirley Cheng & Ryan Lee were Quarterfinalists, Javin Pombra & Danny Vesurai were octofinalists and Jonathan Shi & Ashley Cai were double-octofinalists.  In Novice, Cameron Avery & Miranda Li were Quarterfinalists.  In Open Public Forum, Sohail Sethi & Justin Yu were octofinalists.

Evergreen Novice Invitational: In Novice Parli, Cameron Avery & Miranda Li were undefeated.

Berkeley High Parli Tournament: Jodie Bhattacharya & Javin Pombra were tournament champions!

Parliamentary Tournament of Champions: MVLA ‘closed out’ this tournament – Shirley Cheng & Ryan Lee along with Spencer Dembner & Lilly Hackworth were co-champions.  Danny Vesurai & Javin Pombra were quarterfinalists. Three of the 8 teams in quarterfinals were from MVLA!

See you at Showcase!

Tracy Weatherby

Speech & Debate Parent Volunteer

Note: If you would like to be removed from this newsletter, go to the eList link for the appropriate high school (if you go to neither school, your subscription will likely be under Los Altos) and follow the instructions to view and change your subscription. If you receive a duplicate newsletter this week, it may be because we are making sure that all new folks are receiving the letter even if not on the eList.  Please give us a couple of weeks to work out the kinks!

Mountain View High School eList: http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/

Los Altos High School eList: http://lahs.elists.mvla.net/