Message Archive for club-speech-debate

Demo Day, Parent's Meeting & More!

Sent: Thu Sep 8, 2016 • 9:48 AM PDT
From: weatherby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Demo Day, Parent's Meeting & More!

Dear Speech & Debate Community,

Thanks to all the students who joined us last Wednesday for our first official Speech & Debate Meeting.  It is not too late to join!  Covered below:

-      Demo Day on Saturday - Speech events are covered from 8:30-noon, and argumentation events from 1-4, with pizza available for purchase at lunchtime.

-      Parent Night next Wednesday night – new parents arrive 7:15PM, returning parents arrive 8PM

-      Register & Get in Your Paperwork!

-      Meeting times & location

-      Tournaments Available for Sign-up

Welcome to Speech and Debate!  We hope your student will find our activities worthwhile and fun, and will want to become a part of our team, competing at local tournaments.

Speech and Debate, we are firmly convinced, is the best extracurricular activity a high school student can be involved in.  No matter which of the twelve speech events and four types of debate a student chooses, he or she will develop confidence and poise speaking in public – a skill that will last a lifetime.  In addition, depending on the event(s) chosen, students may learn to speak on their feet, build persuasive arguments, write for a listening audience, do quality in-depth research, analyze current events, or bring a piece of literature to life.  Such skills translate into more effective oral presentations in class, better-written assignments, and enhanced ability to express oneself in multiple settings, from class discussions to job interviews, workplace meetings and more.

Demo Day: Sat., Sept 10 at Los Altos High.  All the competition events done at league tournaments will be demonstrated for students, while parents receive training in how to judge such events.  Speech events are covered from 8:30-noon, and argumentation events from 1-4, with pizza available for purchase at lunchtime. Whether you are the parent of a novice or an old timer, this is a wonderful opportunity to brush up on your judging skills, which all parents will be expected to exercise.

Parent Night: Wed., Sept. 14, 7:15-9 pm in the MVHS Library.  New parents should arrive at 7:15; returning parents may arrive at 8. Please bring a tablet or computer i possible so we can direct you to some on-line resources on our website. You will meet some of our coaches and parent volunteers, hear about the way the team functions, and learn about the various requirements and necessary forms that will permit your student to participate. We will also discuss updates to team policy that all parents should understand.

For those prospective judges unable to attend Demo Day, we will also offer judge training during one of our Wednesday night meetings in October.

Register and get in your Paperwork: If you are even just trying out Speech & Debate, please ‘register’ yourself (students please!) at the link below.  That way we can ensure that we know how to reach you:  https://sites.google.com/site/mvlaspeechanddebate/for-students/register-with-the-team

Parents & Students: please work together to get your paperwork in as soon as possible. There is no obligation, but it clears you to participate in meetings and to attend tournaments.  https://sites.google.com/site/mvlaspeechanddebate/for-students/required-paperwork

Meeting Times & Locations: We meet every Wednesday night from 7-9PM in the library at Mountain View High School.  You can join at any time, but in our early meetings, we have many opportunities to ‘shop’ and try new events so join as soon as you can!

Tournaments Available for Sign-up: To see what tournaments are available for sign-up at any time, go to our website: https://sites.google.com/site/mvlaspeechanddebate/tournaments-and-events/tournament-signup

Feel free to contact me at any time with questions or concerns about Speech and Debate.  We look forward to another fruitful and exciting year of competition.

Best wishes,

Julie Herman

Head of Speech and Debate

julie.ann.herman@xxxxxxxxx

Note: If you would like to be removed from this newsletter, go to the eList link for the appropriate high school (if you go to neither school, your subscription will likely be under Los Altos) and follow the instructions to view and change your subscription. If you receive a duplicate newsletter this week, it may be because we are making sure that all new folks are receiving the letter even if not on the eList.  Please give us a couple of weeks to work out the kinks!

Mountain View High School eList: http://mvhs.elists.mvla.net/

Los Altos High School eList: http://lahs.elists.mvla.net/