This is kind of fun, we get to know who we compete against in the first round. Please read the below email from the tournament administrators carefully and share
it with your parents or anyone else that may want to come and watch. Please pay extra attention to the rules. Every year someone does something stupid, don’t be that person! Also, look at the arrival time. We are one of the first to arrive, so let’s show
up on time and get a good location to hang out before we get sent up to our courtroom. See you tonight at Los Altos High.
From: DHess - Mock Trial [mailto:hess.edtech@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 7:03 AM
To: jcohen@xxxxxxxxx; Srebelo@xxxxxxxxx; gemmavreyes@xxxxxxx; april.k.seo@xxxxxxxxx; mradas113@xxxxxxxxx; ashley.leyba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; brian.parson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; christene.stratman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; sean_bui@xxxxxxxxx;
nandika.donthi@xxxxxxxxx; JFT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; susan_wilson@xxxxxxxxx; roxanna.alavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; sjcohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; monilpat@xxxxxxxxx; MMoseley@xxxxxxxxx; Nklippen@xxxxxxxxxxx; mattbraker@xxxxxxxxx; gwynant2312@xxxxxxxxx; allenfleishman@xxxxxxxxx;
familysavage@xxxxxxxxx; dinaholst@xxxxxxxxxxx; kthomas@xxxxxxxxx; Ballesteros, Daniel W.; Manov, Allison A.; jware@xxxxxxxxxxxx; kristen.krauss (at) MVLA; frogoakland@xxxxxxxxx; ettolentino@xxxxxxxxx; ncampiotti@xxxxxxxxx; cyamada@xxxxxxxxx; ssmith@xxxxxxxxx;
MGriswold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; mcantone@xxxxxxxxx; jeanliao@xxxxxxxxx; josh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; waterpixiestar@xxxxxxxxx; dskapinsky@xxxxxxxxx; equevedo@xxxxxxxxx; mtorrens9@xxxxxxxxx; marymcdonnell831@xxxxxxxxx; barnesh@xxxxxxxxx; Matthew.Parrella@xxxxxxxxx; ablank@xxxxxxxxxxx;
AAdams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; DMiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; nahal.iravanisani@xxxxxxxxx; mbutera@xxxxxxxxx; jharmon@xxxxxxx; j.luna3064@xxxxxxxxx; kplough@xxxxxxxxx; paul98kim@xxxxxxxxx; rickynext7071@xxxxxxxxx; dbohrer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; antonio.murillo (at) MVLA; david_pugh@xxxxxxxxx;
mshem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; jimtorre@xxxxxx; tzendejas@xxxxxxx; donafeizzadeh@xxxxxxxx; mike.descalso@xxxxxxxxxxxx; bryan_raisch@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Kevin.Hammon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; christina_arpante@xxxxxxxxx; 'Melissa Christie'
Subject: Mock Trial Tournament - Round 1 Pairings & Rules
Dear Mock Trial Coaches,
With our mock trial tournament approaching in two weeks, we would like to take this opportunity to announce the first round pairings and to identify the courthouse rules and procedures. The first round occurs on February 3, 2015. The Santa Clara County Superior
Court has generously allowed us to use its courtrooms located at 191 N. First Street, San Jose, CA 95113. Our use of these facilities is a privilege contingent upon our good behavior and respect for the rules. This can be a challenge considering that over
400 students annually participate in the mock trial program- in addition to teachers, coaches, parents, and others. For parking options, please refer to this interactive parking map,
http://sjdowntownparking.com/parking-map. We encourage you to disseminate this email to your students and parents so all are familiar with the rules and procedures. We
look forward to another successful year.
Also, to help ensure that there are three qualified scorers in every preliminary round, the Steering Committee has decided to use school-affiliated teacher coaches and attorney coaches as scorers in rounds 3 and
4 of this year’s tournament. The school-affiliated scorers will not score their own team. The Steering Committee strongly encourages each school to identify one teacher coach or attorney coach to serve in this capacity. Please provide us with the name,
e-mail address, telephone number, school-affiliation, and round preference (3 or 4) by Thursday, January 29, 2015.
Also, because there are an uneven number of teams participating in the tournament, as per the Power Pairing Memo posted on the COE Mock Trial Website, a rotating practice team will be utilized. The practice team
does not get credit for a win, but a team which loses to the practice team will be assigned a loss. If your team is interested in fielding a practice team, which would compete at the same time as your other team, please let us know by Thursday, January 29,
2015. Ideally, we would like four separate schools to donate a practice team, one for each preliminary round. Please see the Power Pairing Memo for additional information regarding the practice team procedure.
We wish you the best of luck!
Kevin Hammon (Kevin.Hammon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Jim Scharf (james.scharf@xxxxxxxxx)
2015 Mock Trial Tournament Administrators
Mock Trials Rules & Procedures
1) Each team shall arrive at the courthouse at its designated time. Staggered arrival times are assigned in order to mitigate the people traffic entering the courthouse.
2) All attendees shall remove belts, keys, wallets, and other items containing metal before entering the courthouse. This decreases time spent passing through the courthouse metal detector.
3) After passing the metal detector, all attendees must go left and enter the jury room. Do not wander around the courthouse.
4) The teacher coach or school representative shall check in at the front desk in the jury room. Upon checking in, the teacher school representative will receive a courtroom assignment form.
5) A tournament representative will dispatch each team to the elevators shortly after the team has arrived. Do not approach the elevators until directed to do so from the jury room.
6) All attendees must wear appropriate attire. No tank-tops, exposed undergarments, hats, sandals, shorts, or clothing featuring profanity or vulgarity.
7) No gum, food, or drink is allowed in the courthouse. Attendees may bring water bottles, assuming responsibility for throwing them away and not spilling them.
8) Each courtroom must be left exactly as it appeared upon arrival. Mock trials often require rearranging courtroom chairs and posting various exhibits. At the conclusion of the round, you must return the courtroom to its original condition.
9) School representatives may not leave the courthouse until all their respective students have left the courthouse and surrounding area. Parents should arrive no later than 8:30 p.m. to pick up students.
10) Absolutely no weapons, including pocket knives, are allowed in the courthouse.
Round 1 Pairings
Arrival Times & Pairings for Tuesday, February 3, 2015 are set forth below. The Prosecution Team is on the left of the "vs." and the Defense Team is on the right of the "vs." As per the Power Pairing Memo, the
first round pairings were completely random.
Prosecution vs. Defense
Saratoga vs. Los Gatos (5:05)
West Valley vs. Mountain View (5:05)
Willow Glen vs. Lynbrook (5:10)
Gunderson vs. DCP (5:10)
Gunn vs. St. Francis (5:15)
Mitty vs. Pioneer (5:15)
Prospect vs. Leigh (5:20)
Practice Team vs. Santa Clara (5:20)
Sobrato vs. Los Altos (5:25)
Monta Vista vs. Homestead (5:25)
Leland vs. Cupertino (5:30)
Lincoln vs. BASIS (5:30)
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4800 / Virus Database: 4257/8910 - Release Date: 01/11/15
This email message has been delivered safely and archived online by Mimecast. For more information please visit