Message Archive for chamber-orch

[INST] It's About Time...

Sent: Sat Jul 20, 2019 • 10:23 PM PDT
From: Kneebone, Jason

[INST] It's About Time...
Music Families,

In a dozen years of teaching, I have lost the work/life balance game eleven times. After graduation, I convinced myself that there were typically several weeks of extra work to be done - instruments to be shelved, music to be filed, an office to be cleaned, pencils to be sharpened - the list went on and on. I thought that everything had to get done, had to get done now, and that I was the one that had to do it.

It took a fresh perspective to change that approach, along with the simple question of, "Why?" I had no good answer anymore.

I'll leave you, dear reader, to hypothesize whether this change was due to having a second kid, gaining a wonderful new colleague, or a magical combination of both...

So, after the Class of 2019 tossed their caps and the dust settled from our Leadership Seminar, I gave my bamboo some fresh water and just went home. Since then, the Kneebones have taken a trip up to Seattle to see Lyndsey's sister graduate with her PhD, jogged over to Whitefish Lake in Montana for some R&R, went to some playdates & birthday parties with other kiddos, and just enjoyed each others' company. I've only been back at MVHS for a few hours this summer (Marching Band packets ain't gonna sort themselves, after all) and it's been cathartic.

This is beginning to sound like one of those holiday letters you get from your relatives along with a cute photo of their kids...

Fair enough. But I will be sharing photos of my kids, too, so be warned.

There is a sea of great and inspirational quotes out there, but I'd like to share one by Robert Heinlein (author of "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Starship Troopers" #geekpoints) who said, "When one teaches, two learn." I certainly did a lot of learning this year. Aside from the aforementioned 'don't-work-so-hard-over-the-summer' concept, I've learned that those emails don't need to be replied to immediately. I've learned to trust that tasks can be successfully delegated. And even though I don't consider this job to be 'work', I've learned that there are much more important things in life than the stuff that does feel like work.

Gee, now you sound like a PBS special. Feels like I've heard all of those clichés before...

Fair again. But a wise man once said, "Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal." I believe it was Pablo Picasso. Or Steve Jobs. Or both...

Something that I've found to often be better than the enlightenment that comes with learning something for the first time is being reminded of just how good you have it. It reminds you that you're still doing the right thing and that you've chosen the right thing to do. I am constantly amazed (yet never surprised) by the talent and commitment of our students and by the generosity and altruism of our parent community. It's these things that make getting up at 5:30am more than worth it.

And it is here, dear reader, that instead of leaving you with a sincere apology that it's taken me until late July to send this final email, I will leave you with some brilliantly cute photos of our two bambinos. Logan (who's almost 6 now, holy smokes) looking very proud of the new Doctor in the family and Ryan (just turned 6 months, holy smokes) looking very proud that he can almost sit up on his own.

Please enjoy the rest of your Summer. If you are leaving for college, I wish you nothing but the best. Please keep an eye out for some alumni-outreach emails this year. To those of you who will be returning next year, welcome back! If you're joining us for the first time, welcome to the family! It's gonna be a great year!

With Happiness and Love,
-J

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190618160239809_COVER.jpg

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190707093109035_COVER.jpg