Message Archive for chamber-orch

[MVMB] Spartan Marching Band 2019 Information

Sent: Fri May 3, 2019 • 1:44 PM PDT
From: Kneebone, Jason

[MVMB] Spartan Marching Band 2019 Information
Musicians, Performers, & Fans...

This Marching Band email is intended for everyone, especially those who might be on the fence about joining. We've got lots of good stuff on deck for the Fall and want to make sure everyone has the right information. If you plan to join us, please make sure you have JC1200 (for 9th graders) or JC1202 (for 10-12th graders, PE exemption credit) on your schedule.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional."
-John C. Maxwell

Fall 2019 Rehearsal Schedule
We are excited to roll out our new weekly rehearsal schedule for next Fall. This is one of the most important components of the season. The instructional staff has engaged in much discussion about quality vs. quantity and the impact our rehearsal structure has on our students. These changes further reduce our Zero Period time commitment and eliminate back-to-back rehearsals (i.e. Thursday afternoon into Friday morning). We will meet during Zero Period on the first day of school (Monday, August 19th). After that initial meeting, we will move into our new weekly schedule through the end of the season:
  • Monday Afternoon, 3:45-6:30pm
  • Wednesday Morning, 7:15-8:45am
  • Thursday Afternoon, 3:45-6:30pm
  • Saturdays (August/September), 9:00am-4:00pm
  • Total Weekly Rehearsal Hours: 13

"And how do we keep our balance? That I can tell you in one word: Tradition!"
-Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

Away/Home Band Camps
Similar to last year, we'll be hosting two Band Camps this summer. Unlike last year, our Home Camp schedule will make it easy for all students (especially freshmen) to get acclimated to the new school year, including attending the MVHS orientation. Band Camp has always been the best way to kick off a new school year - imagine setting foot on campus on Day One with 149 other close friends! While our Camps are not mandatory, they are both strongly encouraged to attend since we work heavily on technique building and get a very large chunk of our show learned. Our 2019 Band Camp Dates are:
  • Away Camp @ YMCA Jones Gulch in La Honda: August 5-8 (Monday morning-Thursday afternoon)
  • Home Camp @ MVHS: August 14-17 (Wednesday-Saturday, 9:00am-4:00pm)

"Leadership is a series of behaviors rather than a role for heroes."
-Margaret J. Wheatley

Leadership Training & Camp Prep
What many people may not know is the amount of time and effort that goes into the start of our Marching Band seasons before our initial contact with our members. Our team of about 40-50 student leaders meets before our Away Camp to discuss leadership philosophies and tackle all the logistics that come with hosting a successful Camp up in the mountains. With Staff Apps due on May 6th and Drum Major auditions wrapping up, here is a reminder about the new Leadership Training and Band Camp Prep schedule for this summer:
  • Leadership Seminar: Saturday, June 8th, 1:00-6:00pm (Section Leaders, ASLs, DMs)
  • Band Camp Prep: Friday, August 2nd, 9:00am-4:00pm (All Camp Staff)

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
-Aristotle

Pre-Season Training Sessions
Our amazing instructional team is providing some great opportunities to learn and develop specific skills before we dive into next season. If you are interested in joining our Front Ensemble, Drumline, or Colorguard, there will be workshop opportunities between now and August. For all of our brand new members, Welcome! We'll be hosting an optional, single-day "New Marcher Training" this summer, right before we leave for Away Camp. Dates are as follows:
  • Percussion Workshops: May 14th, 21st, and 28th, 6:00pm-8:00pm in Packard Hall
  • Colorguard Camp: June 17-21, 9:00am-3:00pm, part of the Spartans Sports Camp, Register HERE
  • New Marcher Training: For all new members, SLs, ASLs, DMs, Friday, August 2nd, 9:00am-Noon, lunch provided
If you know folks who have signed up for Marching Band (or are on the fence about joining) that may not be on one of our eLists yet (primarily Freshmen), please forward this email to them. Thanks for reading! We're looking forward to another great season of Marching Band!

Please keep an eye out for the Fall 2019 MVMB Registration Packet, coming soon!

Our Best,
-Jason & Anna